X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Drive unusable after 2 rips

Hello,

Using DVDFab v6.0.1.0 (but this has been occuring since v4 & v5). After I rip DVD to ISO one or two times, my DVD drive just quits working. I have tried this on two machines (HP running Vista & Dell running Win Server 2003).

Sometimes, after a reboot, it will works again. Sometimes reboot does nothing, but waiting a day or so it will work again. Could it be a over heating problem on the DVD drive?

Here's the drives in the machines:
    - On the HP machine, device manager reports the drive as "ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L ATA Device"

- On the Dell running Win Server 2003, I have 2 DVD drives and Device Manager reports the drives as:
    1) "HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA416B"
    2) "TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C"

The strage thing is that the behavior is the same, after 2 rips, the drives just become unusable. I ussually, rip to ISO, but this occurs too even if I rip the video to MP4 or whatever.

Is it possible that the DVD drives are getting over used with all the ripping that they crash / overheat?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike =:-)

could be a lot of thimgs, heat is low on the list ..... bad cables, out of alignment, etc.

Kinda strange two puters, three drives ? ? ?

Just how old are these drives, hoe many rips/burns ?
    AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Drives/Computers are probably 3-4 years old. Total rips probably around 40. Don't burn that much because I put my bakups on my TViX box.

Comment

Originally posted by mdm777 View Post
        Drives/Computers are probably 3-4 years old. Total rips probably around 40. Don't burn that much because I put my bakups on my TViX box.
        40 rips in 3 or 4 years is not enough to even break in a drive so I doubt heat enters into it.

As stated having the problem on 2 computers involving 3 drive is very strange.
        I have tried google to find any mention of others with this problem.
        So far no luck.

Comment

this member does not burn to DVD but does save to hard drive to put on the TViX box so still could be a burnt out drive depending on how many DVDs was ripped to hard drive but then could be the make of computer as well

Comment

He stated 40 rips in 3 or 4 years

Comment

Two separate rigs and a total of 3 ODD's and this has ocurred with Fab 4, 5 & now 6.
              Very, very strange.
              There's no way that this is an overheating issue unless he's working in a boiler room. And the drives can't be wearing out...all 3 have exhibited identical behavior... 2 burns and then they quit until he reboots or waits for a day or two???

I would start to question basics such as the power source and such, but the behavior is consistent and predictable.

Do you have any enemies?
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
                He stated 40 rips in 3 or 4 years
                OK missed that part glad your on your toes though

Comment

Are they laptops though?

I have seen this quite often with lappies.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

LOL..no enemies I'm worreid about. My friends Smith & Wesson keep me safe...

Yeah, I agree it's all very strange. There's no logic there. I'm more of a software guy (I'm a programmer), but I know enough to be dangerous with hardware.

I'll just continue to deal with it. Thank you all so much for the replies.

How many rips would wear out a drive? 500? 1000? Just curious to y'alls opinion.

Peace.

Comment

No laptops.

- HP m8000n (Vista Home Prem)
                      - Dell Dimension 9150 (Win 2003 Server)

Sometimes the DVD drive stops showing in My Computer (10% of the time), or it will show up in DVDFab but when I choose it as a source, it pops the tray out asking for a disc when there is one in there already.

Comment

The fact that it is not showing in "My Computer" would indicate to me a problem with the OS/Drivers/Hardware but it is a really funny one.
                        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I know we are talking about 2 machines and 3 drives, an user says 40 rips, could both machines have done their fair share of rips or burns and got enough errors to switch them into PIO mode instead of DMA?
                          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I think this is more likely a software/driver issue than hardware. Perhaps some other CD or DVD burning software that is installed on both machines or something else that is not releasing control of the drive or access layer.

How do the drives "quit" exactly? Do they not recognize any discs as Sources or Targets? If you have a DVD in one can you explore it with windows and see inside the VIDEO_TS folder? Components of Sonic, Roxio and Nero can cause similar symptoms (but usually for every rip, not like what you described). And by all means check and see if they are in PIO transfer mode. You might google and install a utility call devfilter.exe (free) to see what registry filter drivers are installed on the machines. And close DVDFab between rips. You could also try setting DVDFab to use ASPI insted of SPTI (Common Settings->DVD/Blu-ray->Read) and see if that changes anything.
                            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Only thought I can add is that feng has one GREAT forum here and you guys are fantastic at supporting it !!!!

BRAVO !!
                              AX
                              AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Working...
                              X