This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistent DVD reads on the same disc

Observing the disc size on the left side of the DVDFab interface, I noticed some DVDs aren't read consistently (the same DVD reads different sizes when re-read).

For example here's Dodgeball (note all reads had Pathplayer set to Always enable):

1st read = 6860 mb
    2nd read = 7708 mb (Pathplayer auto disabled)
    3rd read = 6746 mb
    4th read = 6700 mb

For testing I read this disc eight times. The additional reads began to repeat between the four sizes. I caught this by accident and have found several other DVDs this happens to also. I don't know how common this is, as I wasn't in the habit reading discs multiple times.

Is this a result from Pathplayer, the DVD's encryption, or something I'm doing incorrectly. Hopefully there's an answer for why this is happening because I don't want to scan every DVD several times to figure out when it's best to make the copy. I want to put in a disc, copy, and move on to the next disc, not question if each copy was done correctly.

DVDFab Version 9.2.0.5 Using Copy mode set to Full Disc. I don't know if this is common but I couldn't find a similar question. Here are the log files.
    Attached Files

Thank you for the report, I will check it out asap.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

While waiting for a solution I noticed a new version (9.2.0.9) was released, so I upgraded and tried more tests. My original tests still came out the same, so I added some new ones:

1) To rule out the DVD drive as the potential suspect I ran my tests on a Blu-ray drive (this drive is slower so I was ignoring it). After running the reads ten times the results were identical producing the same exact file size variations.

2) To rule out the drives (since they were both LG) I made two ISO's, one using the Clone/Burn setting (to be as true as possible to the DVD) and the other using Full disc (with Pathplayer disabled since this was producing the larger file size). They were also run the ten times each, but again the results were the same.

It looks like this is a possible issue with the Pathplayer, though I don't know if the instances where the Pathpayer was auto disabled fall into a Pathplayer problem.

Comment

Here's my current update: I've updated to 9.2.1.0 but the problem remains. I've also messed with the Pathplayer Scan BOVs settings (noted below).

Changing the settings to Scan cells lasting more than 10 secs, Scan one VOBU every 1 VOBUs. The results were more consistent, but I'm still getting the different sizes including Pathplayer auto disabling. Trying higher settings produced results closer to my original tests.

Comment

DVDFab Staff:
          Please see this thread for a more updated picture. http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=27749 This thread is also closed due to violation of crossposting rules. Please reopen the other one or contact this user via PM if necessary.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
          X