Writing Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing Failure

DVDFab encountered an error right in the middle of a writing session. The DVD is un-usable now. I am using an LG external DVD writer (model GE24). I just bought it the other day and this was the very first time using it on my new computer. Not a very good sign to get a burn error on my first session. Is something not set up right? I use an HP external DVD writer on my older computer and never have any issues at all. I am using Windows 10 on an Asus computer if that helps any. After I was unable to make a successful copy of the original disc using the LG writer, I tried it on my older computer using the HP writer and it burned a copy perfectly using DVDFab 9.2.0.9 also. I will attach the logs. Please help me figure this out. I would hate to have to take back this brand new LG DVD writer. Thanks!
    Attached Files

what brand of blank discs do you use?? the best ones are the verbatim ones.
    and what burn engine do you have?? use imgburn instead.
    also you might want to check to see if there is a manufacture firmware
    update for you dvd burner. also try a slower burn speed.

Comment

Hi StephenAPSU
      Your burning at max speed, try lowering your speed to 8X use the link in my signature on setting this up.
      Also open ImgBurn go to settings, write and check the box in the pic.
      Hope this helps
      CBR929
      Attached Files
      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thank you so much for the tips to the both of you! Yes I am using the most recent version of Imgburn, 2.5.8.0. As far as the write speed goes, in the DVDFab settings I have it set to Recommended, so I was assuming DVDFab would determine the best speed at which my computer/burner could handle. I have an Intel i7-4790 8 core, 3.60 GHz processor, 16 GB installed RAM, Windows 10 64 bit OS. And both DVDFab and Imgburn as well as my entire OS are all stored on a 1 TB solid state drive. So one question is, with all that power and the latest updates of all programs involved, how could it not handle being able to burn at max speed?

I recently took advantage of the DVDFab Passkey being free for 20 days and downloaded and installed that on all 3 of my computers. I also have the most recent version of that as well, DVDFab Passkey 8.2.4.7. So I guess my second question is, if I have DVDFab Passkey open and running in the background at all times, both while DVDFab/Imgburn are ripping a DVD and putting the files on the computer, and it's also open and running in the background while DVDFab/Imgburn are burning the ripped files to a blank DVD, is that contributing to the problem? Do I even need to be using DVDFab Passkey during any stage of the ripping/burning process, or is it meant to be used for something entirely different?

Thanks again!

Comment

Passkey is meant to be used with software that does not decrypt DVD or Blu-ray (or where a decrypter is no longer updated, as with DVDShrink). It can cause unpredictable results in some cases, so my advice is to exit it unless you need it for something (such as playing a disc with player software that has marginal decryption capabilities).

"Recommended" generally uses the highest speed that is supported by the firmware in your optical drive, and it is a bad choice in many cases due to the variability found in most blank media. Use a specific burn speed, generally 8X for DVD, 4X for BD (or slower) as a starting point, then edge it up one step at a time on future burns until you begin having playback problems.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you so much for the quick and very useful responses. I applaud the 3 of you and am very grateful for each your advice. Thanks signals for giving me the specifics on both DVDFab Passkey and the Recommended setting within DVDFab's write settings. And to october262 and CBR929, thanks for the tips on Imgburn and the write speed recommendation.

I have closed out of DVDFab Passkey, changed my write speed to 8X within DVDFab, and checked the box to "perform OPC before write" in the Imgburn settings. I will test things out and hope for positive differences.

Thanks again!

Comment

Well...3 failed attempts in a row now, and 3 unusable blank DVDs I had to throw away. I'm baffled now guys. I changed all the settings that I said I would change per your recommendations, and it's still failing right in the middle of the burn session, making the disc worthless. I will attach the logs. The only advice I'm not going to listen to is the brand of discs to use. I've always used Memorex DVD+Rs to make back-ups of my DVDs, and have never ran into issues like this on either of my other two HP burners I use on my other computers, but now that I have this LG burner it's failing every time. I don't understand because it's brand new out of the box from the store too. Are there typically problems like this with external LG DVD writers?

I will attach the logs again for DVDFab and Imgburn. Please help me guys. I would be fine just using the internal DVD writer that came installed with the computer, Matshita, but it was literally taking around an hour just to burn one single DVD using the same settings on DVDFab/Imgburn. I have no idea why it was taking so long on such a brand new super-fast computer using the same exact combination of programs as with the LG writer. But at least it wasn't failing every single time. Any thoughts now after looking at the logs?
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached to this reply are the Imgburn logs.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X