This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What procedure do YOU use if and to copy DVDs

I've recently noticed some size issues copying DVDs which makes me question my other copies, so I've been thinking of procedures to make the best copy possible.

So far I'm leaning towards Full disc copy and copying the disc source info (clicking the little "i" button) from DVDFab to a text file instead of exporting it and creating the extra files. This way I can verify that some protections were removed and reference it if something seems off with the copy later. Also I'm labeling the text file with the size DVDfab is reporting (on the left side of the interface).

So what procedures do you use to copy discs, if any?
    (Hopefully this isn't a repeat topic)

The forum generally focuses on solving problems, if you have issues with DVD sizes you should start a thread and report what you are experiencing. The Source and output size are automatically saved in the DVDFab internal log, which also identifies the disc name and has a date, time and Fab version stamp. It is just a text file that you can read with Notepad.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Sorry, this post was to see if there are other work-a-rounds to how someone else may do their disc burning procedures, and maybe present a better option that would also fix (or bypass) my problem.

I do have a thread with my exact problem called "Inconsistent DVD reads on the same disc" but there hasn't been a response since the initial post. Either there's no solution or it's still being working on.

Approaching the problem from a different angle (like maybe it was just my methods) I thought it justified a separate post. I apologize if my judgment was incorrect. I've been getting anxious to starting copying again but I'm holding out for some kind of solution. I thought this approach may also benefit others since it was more broad.

Comment

I fail to see the problem with sizes as long as the disc plays correctly. Updates to PathPlayer will change the displayed value of Source size, since it is the size of the playable content on the disc. For a given title, this may be slightly different on different versions of DVDFab.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Could also be that the menu file VIDEO_TS.VOB is much smaller in size on the copy, due to the removal of potential dummy space.

From your other thread:

1st read = 6860 mb
          2nd read = 7708 mb (Pathplayer auto disabled)
          3rd read = 6746 mb
          4th read = 6700 mb
          If PP is disabled, it won't find any unplayed cells and the end size should be higher than when it's enabled. So that looks ok in your tests.
          Last edited by Gummigutta; 08-26-2015, 07:46 PM.

Comment

signals
            I fail to see the problem with sizes as long as the disc plays correctly. Updates to PathPlayer will change the displayed value of Source size, since it is the size of the playable content on the disc. For a given title, this may be slightly different on different versions of DVDFab.
            I agree for the most part, but I'm just beginning to backup my collection and I' trying to be proactive. I don't have time to verify each disc now (loading the ISO going through all the menu options to make sure everything plays correctly). The problem is...why isn't Pathplayer producing a consistent size, all the results were with the same version of DVDFab? Of the discs I've copied so far I wonder how many others had Pathplayer auto disable because I wasn't checking the disc info. Now I feel I have to do it every time (which may be good practice anyway, which is why I started the second thread).

Gummigutta, the removal of dummy space and unplayable cells does make sense for the bigger size difference (with Pathpalyer disabled), I'm concerned as to why it was disabled on that read attempt and why the variation of the other sizes when Pathplayer is enabled (there was a 208mb variation, this includes one additional size not listed).

Comment

I can't give you any more information. I would suggest that you experiment with the PathPlayer settings, forcing it to scan more (skip fewer) VOBUs and examine shorter cells. This will make the scan take longer but should increase the output size predictability. Leave it set to Always Enable.

Comment

signals, I took your suggestion and ran several tests messing with the Pathplayer Scan BOVs settings (I assume this is what you were referencing, if not please let me know) all still using the original Dodgeball disc.

The default settings were Scan cells lasting more than 300 secs, Scan one VOBU every 30 VOBUs. I went extreme and changed them to Scan cells lasting more than 10 secs, Scan one VOBU every 1 VOBUs. The results were for the most part consistent, resulting with 6700mb showing more than half the time (6 of 10), but the remaining reads were all different including once again a read were Pathplayer is auto disabled.

For kicks I also ran with the other extreme settings, Scan cells lasting more than 600 secs, Scan one VOBU every 60 VOBUs, but the results were closer to my original inconsistent size variations.

On a side note I also recorded load times (time the drive tray closes until the disc is finished being scanned). The times were all about 2min (+/- 10sec), except of course when Pathplayer was auto disabled. I was surprised that increasing or decreasing the cell scanning had little impact on the scan.

For now, would it be bad to leave Pathplayer on max scanning setting (Scan cells lasting more than 10 secs, Scan one VOBU every 1 VOBUs) since the time seemed unaffected and I guess the reads a little more consistent, even though the problem still remains?

Comment

Yes, those are the only PathPlayer controls. While I think your questions are mostly curiosity, the answers to them are beginning to verge into the proprietary area, so I will leave it for the forum owners to evaluate. The effect you have noticed does not appear to have any impact on the playabilty of the output, so the thread will be closed unless someone higher up the food chain decides to reopen it. I will only add that the effect of the PathPlayer sliders on scan (opening) time will vary depending on the internal authoring of each disc. Please save the DVDFab internal log sessions that your tests have generated, since they may be useful in making improvements. Someone will contact you if so.

Comment

Working...
                  X