X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very slow ripping when DVD is copy-protected

Greetings,

DVDFab has very slow ripping speeds when I rip a DVD with a copy protection (takes more or less the same time as the actual length of the movie). I tried a variety of DVDs old and young. I'm just ripping to ISO/folder structure without any conversion.

If the DVD has no copy protection, then a 2-hour movie will take less than 30 min to rip.

I looked at the forum, did some googling, and read this thread: . None of the solutions I tried (reset DMA, diabling pathplayer, etc.) improved the situation.

My laptop is quite new and well-maintained, with P8400, 100 GB+ free disk space, 4GB RAM etc.

Any idea? Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by sertua View Post
    Greetings,

DVDFab has very slow ripping speeds when I rip a DVD with a copy protection (takes more or less the same time as the actual length of the movie). I tried a variety of DVDs old and young. I'm just ripping to ISO/folder structure without any conversion.

If the DVD has no copy protection, then a 2-hour movie will take less than 30 min to rip.

I looked at the forum, did some googling, and read this thread: . None of the solutions I tried (reset DMA, diabling pathplayer, etc.) improved the situation.

My laptop is quite new and well-maintained, with P8400, 100 GB+ free disk space, 4GB RAM etc.

Any idea? Thank you for your time.
    Greetings, and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, you have two things not working in your favour...

1.) You're using a laptop...DVD ripping and writing is a hardware intensive operation - which means lots and lots of heat generated... laptops are not good at getting rid of heat - it takes them longer to finish an operation... the more hardware intensive the operation, the more the heat is generated, laptops can't get rid of the heat...

I think you see where I'm going with this part..

2.) You have a Matshita drive installed in your laptop... Fengtao refers to them as matshita drives...and for good reason... I think you've found his main reason.

Another small point..not critical here, but may be if you experience burning problems...the burn log you supplied has only the first few entries from the file, and of those, none are an actual burn log...the short 9-line entries are generated every time you start Fab...if you look further down the file, you'll find actual burn logs (much longer than you sent in).

One option from the thread you linked to in your post that might have helped you figure this one out...had you been able to try any of your DVDs on another system (by choice, a desktop with no Matshita drives installed), you might have found a much faster rip and burn scenario (I usually run 8-16 min for the rip, and 6-9 min. for the burn - total...under 30 min.) on a usual copy-protected session.

You could replace the drive in the laptop, which would certainly help, but i'm not sure how you'll get around the cooling situation for laptops... unless you invest in a desktop...

Hope this helps.

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

A good option is an external drive connected via USB. I have a couple of these that work very well with my laptop.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I think the problem is not so much the notebook as it is the Matshita drive. DVD ripping is not particularly resource intensive and can be done at normal (5-7 MB/s) speeds in most cases. For best performance on a notebook, keep it connected to AC power and give it some air circulation and don't multitask. Using an external (USB 2.0) drive can help (and would get around the Matshita problem).
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Greetings,

I only tried ripping (without converting), not burning, which is why there are no traces of burns on my log files. I sent them without editing.

I put my hands on a Plextor PX-755UF, an external drive that I connected to my laptop (USB 2.0). Ripping speeds were much better at 2,60 MB/S (7,20 MB/S if the DVD had not copy protection), versus 0,7 MB/S for my laptop drive (4,50 MB/S when no copy protection).

I'm still surprise that I barely get a real-time reading speed when ripping a protected DVD on my new laptop though.

Thank you for your tips. All the best!

Comment

Did that Plextor drive come with Plextools? You should be able to increase read speed with the tools.

Or press and hold the eject button until the light flashes. This is a temp thing and must be done on every reboot.
            Last edited by 90312; 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Try 90312's suggestion, because what you have now is is still unusually slow, and it should not make so much difference between protected and unprotected DVDs. It is not uncommon to see some speed decrease if you are compressing the content to fit on a DVD-5 though. Here are the typical speeds I see with my 4 year old ThinkPad laptop, which has a T2500 CPU and writes to an external HDD (no speed demon):

DVD to DVD
              SL original encrypted DVD to External HDD folder: start 3.3MB/s end 7.8-9+ MB/s
              DL original encrypted DVD compress to SL size HDD folder: 4.5 MB/s
              DL original encrypted DVD to External HDD, no compression: beginning and end, 3-4MB/s, near layer break, 7.5 MB/s.

Your machine should be able to do this or better.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
              X