Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may try imgburn, a free program but you can make a donation.

Comment

I believe the simplest way out of this is to switch to Img.
      Most of the old timers here and all the mods (I think anyway) prefer Img.
      It is much more reliable, configurable and it's the best darn burn engine on the planet.
      It's also freeware and has great support from the author, LIGHTNING UK!
      Most users leave their problems behind when they switch.
      Okay, the weird stuff just keeps on rollin. I installed IMGBurn and got everything set up per the tutorial and video. I went ahead and selected the option to have the disc verify when done burning. It copied the disc, but it bombed out when verifying. I tried to play the disc in 2 DVD players and Windows media and no luck. I have attached all logs.

The only thing recommended that I haven't done is delete the patin-couffin driver, but I didn't figure that mattered since I was using IMGBurn now. Incidentally, I did finally find the driver. It wasn't showing up before as either the uninstall or CCleaner had already removed it. Now it is back since I reistalled DVDFAB.

Anyway, I have my own guess and maybe someone can tell me if they think I'm on the right track. My computer is brand new and a pretty decent Gateway system. But right after I bought it, I remember that I had a problem burning some files to a disc just using the Windows software. Is there a good chance that all of these problems are due to a bad drive? Is that common?

Now, if it turns out that I do need a new drive, what is a good and hopefully economical burning drive to buy? Are they hard to install? Funny thing is I bought an extended warranty for the computer, but since it is so new I would have to send the entire computer to Hoboken or somewhere just to have them test are replace the drive. I figure it might just be cheaper, and quicker, to get a new drive and install it myself. Of course, that is if the drive is the issue.

Any ideas?

Tad
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tad_R View Post
        Okay, the weird stuff just keeps on rollin. I installed IMGBurn and got everything set up per the tutorial and video. I went ahead and selected the option to have the disc verify when done burning. It copied the disc, but it bombed out when verifying. I tried to play the disc in 2 DVD players and Windows media and no luck. I have attached all logs.

The only thing recommended that I haven't done is delete the patin-couffin driver, but I didn't figure that mattered since I was using IMGBurn now. Incidentally, I did finally find the driver. It wasn't showing up before as either the uninstall or CCleaner had already removed it. Now it is back since I reistalled DVDFAB.

Anyway, I have my own guess and maybe someone can tell me if they think I'm on the right track. My computer is brand new and a pretty decent Gateway system. But right after I bought it, I remember that I had a problem burning some files to a disc just using the Windows software. Is there a good chance that all of these problems are due to a bad drive? Is that common?

Now, if it turns out that I do need a new drive, what is a good and hopefully economical burning drive to buy? Are they hard to install? Funny thing is I bought an extended warranty for the computer, but since it is so new I would have to send the entire computer to Hoboken or somewhere just to have them test are replace the drive. I figure it might just be cheaper, and quicker, to get a new drive and install it myself. Of course, that is if the drive is the issue.

Any ideas?

Tad

Before you sweat through a change of drive, I notice you're still using the Sony media...the Media ID isn't the same as what I used to get, and I suspect your drive (or stand-alone player... or both) doesn't like the media - try a change of media first, before you go for a new drive...

Try the smallest container you can find of Verbatim, SL, either +R or -R... if you get +R, please go back into Imgburn and make sure the Booktype is set to DVD-ROM, and try once more. (Just don't get Memorex...).

For what it's worth, from someone who has done a lot of back-ups, I wouldn't bother with the verification option... discs that verify clean can still pixelate, freeze, etc... the best verification method is your own two eyes...

Please let us know.

DC

Comment

Yup, I agree with DC.
          I suspect your burner is belly up, but you really should pick up some Verbatim media and give this another shot.

As far as drives causing problems or dying, it's not uncommon.
          On the other hand, I've been doing this a long time and have never had a "bad" drive.
          "Retired" drives...oh yeah!

It's a very simple process to swap out drive
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Tad_R sorry to hear you are still having trouble. Best Buy had verbatim on sale for $12.99 for 50 but ended yesterday. Could someone tell me what these strange characters are in his dvdfab_internal log files 0m 06.28s: volume label =@~y and 0m 04.57s: volume label „§êy because they are not in his previous logs? Sorry also found this in his post #3 33m 54.00s: volume label Ws€Â´‰XøŒ à
            Last edited by CBR929; 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM.
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

"Try the smallest container you can find of Verbatim, SL, either +R or -R... if you get +R, please go back into Imgburn and make sure the Booktype is set to DVD-ROM, and try once more. (Just don't get Memorex...)."

opps... I have been using Memorex and having issues with reading/playing on my new dvd system (although burning was not a problem).. I just bought Verbatim -R blanks to try............ Thanks for your great advice You guys are great...

Comment

Before you sweat through a change of drive, I notice you're still using the Sony media...the Media ID isn't the same as what I used to get, and I suspect your drive (or stand-alone player... or both) doesn't like the media - try a change of media first, before you go for a new drive...

Try the smallest container you can find of Verbatim, SL, either +R or -R... if you get +R, please go back into Imgburn and make sure the Booktype is set to DVD-ROM, and try once more. (Just don't get Memorex...).

For what it's worth, from someone who has done a lot of back-ups, I wouldn't bother with the verification option... discs that verify clean can still pixelate, freeze, etc... the best verification method is your own two eyes...
                Okay, I got some Verbatim SL DVD +Rs at Best Buy and tried again. I even took off the verification option. I also tried to copy one of my kids Veggie Tales, just to make sure it wasn't some issue with the other disc I was copying. Still no luck. I have attached logs and a picture of an I/O error I received from IMGBurn. As far as setting the booktype, I couldn't figure out what to do. IMGBurn seemed to recognize that I was using DVD +Rs, but when I went into the booktype setting screen, I didn't see an option to change to DVD-ROM without selecting a manufacturer. It wanted me to select by brand name of the drive, which I could not find (even after going into the device manager). Is it normal to not see a manufacturer name on a device?

I am ready to get a shovel and go bury this burner. Incidentally, I probably should have warned you all that I am the most unlucky person on the planet. If there is a high degree of statistical improbability that something negative will happen with something I purchase, then I will be in the affected group. You should have run for the hills when you saw me coming - LOL!

Anyway, if you guys are out of ideas, then I think I'm going back to Best Buy and buy a good quality drive. Any recommendations on brand and specs?

Tad
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tad_R View Post
                  Okay, I got some Verbatim SL DVD +Rs at Best Buy and tried again. I even took off the verification option. I also tried to copy one of my kids Veggie Tales, just to make sure it wasn't some issue with the other disc I was copying. Still no luck. I have attached logs and a picture of an I/O error I received from IMGBurn. As far as setting the booktype, I couldn't figure out what to do. IMGBurn seemed to recognize that I was using DVD +Rs, but when I went into the booktype setting screen, I didn't see an option to change to DVD-ROM without selecting a manufacturer. It wanted me to select by brand name of the drive, which I could not find (even after going into the device manager). Is it normal to not see a manufacturer name on a device?

I am ready to get a shovel and go bury this burner. Incidentally, I probably should have warned you all that I am the most unlucky person on the planet. If there is a high degree of statistical improbability that something negative will happen with something I purchase, then I will be in the affected group. You should have run for the hills when you saw me coming - LOL!

Anyway, if you guys are out of ideas, then I think I'm going back to Best Buy and buy a good quality drive. Any recommendations on brand and specs?

Tad

You read my mind at this point... have done a little research on your installed burner, and it seems to be fraught with problems...

LG, Sony are good DVD burners...but you'll need to decide whether you want to tackle BD as well as DVD before you make a purchase (I noticed from one of the logs you have a BD ROM on your system...)

Re setting Booktype...Imgburn > settings > Write > 4th checkable option - checked by default - just make sure it still is...

DC

Comment

I was just looking over your thread and I have another idea if you're up for more.
                    I'm pretty sure it's down to a bad drive or corrupted registry files.
                    Let's have a look at your upper and lower filters.

Open Img > click on Tools > on the dropdown, click on Filter Driver Load Order...

Post what you see.

Microsoft recommends the following for troubleshooting.
                    You have to manually edit the registry which you may or may not be comfortable with...
                    Just scroll down for Vista:

This article describes a problem with CD or DVD drives not work, or is missing, or not recognized after installing or uninstalling programs.

Personally, I've always been a fan of this registry patch.
                    cdgone.zip

Just run it. No muss, no fuss.
                    It was created prior to public release of VIsta so download sites state it is for XP only.
                    However, I know users who have run this in Vista with good results.

If you prefer, here is a reputable site:

You'll have to scroll down to
                    Restore Missing cd drive.

Good luck!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
                      You read my mind at this point... have done a little research on your installed burner, and it seems to be fraught with problems...

DC

Hey DC....
                      I was back and forth to the kitchen and it took me forever to post.
                      It seems we've seen the same stuff on this Hitachi POS...

Comment

I think it might be an Lg drive. Maineman could you or anybody look at my post 31 and tell me what these are in his log files?
                        Last edited by CBR929; 02-07-2010, 09:42 PM.
                        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                          Hey DC....
                          I was back and forth to the kitchen and it took me forever to post.
                          It seems we've seen the same stuff on this Hitachi POS...

You are absolutely right, Mr. Maineman.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                            I think it might be an Lg drive. Maineman could you or anybody look at my post 31 and tell me what these are in his log files?
                            Howdy CB, looks like it's an Hitachi, but like you before I looked around, I thought LG too.

I'm no programmer and even attempting to read code is absolutely foreign to me...but those entries are essentially gibberish.

Comment

Maineman could this have something to do with his problem? I have posted this in another post
                              HTML Code:
                              I have seen this before while searching error code 400 and The path should consist of English letters Only to Temporary directory and Output directory!
                              . I know I found those characters in his volume label and they are not English could this be confusing Fab?

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                                Maineman could this have something to do with his problem? I have posted this in another post
                                HTML Code:
                                I have seen this before while searching error code 400 and The path should consist of English letters Only to Temporary directory and Output directory!
                                . I know I found those characters in his volume label and they are not English could this be confusing Fab?

My guess is that the gibberish is the result of an error rather than the cause, but who knows?
                                The extent of my "code" work was configuring HIMEM.SYS in windoz 3.1 so I could play the original Wing Commander game...

Comment

Working...
                                X