This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to choose clone versus Full Disc

I am new to DVDFab and have a couple of questions related to the DVD to DVD function. I've got a stack of DVD+R DL DVD's and thought I'd use them for my backups. Obviously, I don't need any compression with the double layer DVD's but here's my first question:

When using the DVD to DVD option (along with double layer DVD's), what is the difference between selecting Full Disc versus Clone as a backup option? It seems that the quality would be the same since no compression would take place regardless when using double layer DVD's. I did notice Full Disc seems to offer some options prior to starting the recording process (taking things out) versus the Clone option which just proceeds with the recording. However, is there any difference in the quality? If there's no difference in backup quality, should I just use Full Disc to enable me to take anything out that I choose?

On an entirely different note: does DvdFab function just as well in X64 Vista as it does in X86 Vista? I have a retail version of Vista and have both the discs so I can run either 32 bit or 64 bit.

Last question. I am familiar with programs like ImgBurn that burn discs. However, what would be the point in using that program along with DVDFab? It seems like I've read information about people using that program to do the actual burn to disc but I am not sure why since DVDfab has the ability to accomplish all tasks (at least in the DVD to DVD option). So I don't see the point ImgBurn being used along with DVDFab unless there are other reasons aside from the DVD to DVD function.

Any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by scott7; 10-01-2009, 01:40 AM.

Welcome to the DVDFab user family.

When making DVD-Video backups, Clone mode and Full Disc produce almost identical results in most cases. Full Disc does allow for a slight amount of user control. Clone makes a nearly bit-for-bit copy of the original and makes a disc image (ISO) temporary file, and thus will copy discs that do not even contain the standard VIDEO_TS/IFO/VOB file structure of DVD-Video. With Full Disc, which reads and processes the disc based on the IFO files, the content is the same (unless you change it) but the placement of any given file on the output disc will almost always be different (which usually makes no difference to a player). You can still use Customize mode with DVD-9 output media and get the benefits of real control over the output (jump to menu, jump to main movie, remove annoying PGCs, change title playback order, etc.)

Full Disc will usually make the backup in slightly less time, but the choice is up to you.

The disc burner that comes with DVDFab is the VSO burning engine. ImgBurn can also be selected as the default burner if you have it installed (or Nero). I personally use ImgBurn for, among other reasons, the precise control it allows over the layer break position when making a backup of a DVD-Video.

I will have to leave the OS questions for others to respond, still happily running XP SP3 here.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Signals. Your response was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
      X