This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layer Size is detected wrong since moving to Windows 7

Up until recently I was running DVDFab v6.2.1.8 on a Laptop running Vista and had great success with this and previous versions.

I have since recently wiped the hard disk and installed Windows 7 32 bit. I have also installed DVDFab v6.2.1.8 however I have discovered that when cloning Dual Layer discs ImgBurn winges about the layer breaks. I have tried to backup 5 DVD's and all complained about the layer break so I then tried a couple of DVD's that I successfully backed up 6 or so months ago and these gave exactly the same error.

A bit more investigation and I have noted that when pulling up the information for Dual Layer DVD's DVDFab states either a very large layer size or a negative layer size. Here is an example taken from X-MEN:-

Info for drive [E:\] (DVDFab 6.2.1.8)
    Drive region: 2

Disc type: Video DVD
    Disc region: 2, 4
    Volume name: XMEN
    Video standard: PAL
    Layer 0 size: 1598037505 sectors (3121167 MBytes)
    Layer 1 size: 1598037505 sectors (3121167 MBytes)

Very odd. My current workaround is to use the clone option but write it to an image file. I then load ImgBurn and use the discovery feature to tell me the proper size of the two layers of the original disc. I then open up the .ini file that DVDFab created (when cloning the disc) and update the (very large or negative) layer break setting with the one that ImgBurn gives me. I then use ImgBurn with the corrected .ini file to burn the backup.

So two questions:-

1. Why is DVDFab not calculating the layer sizes (and hence layer break) successfully?

2. Until this issue is solved my workaround is valid isn't it? It appears to produce backups that work.

If the workaround works, it is valid. A faster way might be to use Full Disc mode to write the decrypted files to a VIDEO_TS folder then use ImgBurn in Build mode to make the image, which gives more control over the layer break position. You may need to UNcheck the Remove layer break option in DVDFab settings. I have not noticed this using Full Disc or Customize mode, I don't use Clone very much.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I'm experiencing the same problem running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and DVDFab 6.2.1.8 and the 7.1.0.2 beta. Like the previous poster, I too didn't have the problem until recently.

Layer sizes are incorrect for every dual layer disc I try, resulting in incorrect .ini files being written.

The number of sectors are unusually high and both layers are always reported as being equally sized. For example:
      ---
      Info for drive [H:\] (DVDFab 7.0.1.2)
      Drive region: 1

Disc region: 1
      Volume name: FELLOWSHIP
      Video standard: NTSC
      Layer 0 size: 261889793 sectors (511503 MBytes)
      Layer 1 size: 261889793 sectors (511503 MBytes)
      ---

The correct layer size (from ImgBurn) is:
      ---
      Layer Information:
      Layer 0 Sectors: 2,071,568 (54.18%)
      Layer 1 Sectors: 1,752,148 (45.82%)
      ---

Some dual layer discs are even being detected as single layer discs!

While the previous poster's workaround works, it takes a lot of extra and unnecessary time to use it for every disc I'm ripping (I purchased DVDFab Lifetime specifically for its Clone feature).

It's pretty obvious that a software bug has recently been introduced (due to Windows 7 perhaps?) and I hope that this issue will be addressed in a software update.
      Last edited by seanbob; 03-10-2010, 09:16 PM. Reason: Added ImgBurn layer size for comparison.

Comment

As a follow-up, I tried another disc and saw the negative layer size that the previous poster also mentioned:
        ---
        Info for drive [H:\] (DVDFab 7.0.1.2)
        Drive region: 1

Disc region: 1
        Volume name: 1000092476
        Video standard: NTSC
        Layer 0 size: -276488703 sectors (7848591 MBytes)
        Layer 1 size: -276488703 sectors (7848591 MBytes)
        ---

In such a case, the .ini file looks like this:
        ---
        [ISO]
        Files=1000092476.iso
        LayerBreak=-276488703
        ---

Comment

Just un-installed v6 and installed the latest version (v7.0.3.0). Still exactly the same issue with DL disc sizes being detected wrong

I can't believe there are only two of us that are seeing this issue!

My specs are a Dell XPS M1530 running 32 bit windows 7 with 4Gb of RAM if it helps. According to device manager the internal DVD drive is "DVDTEAC DVD+/-RW DVW28SLC" although I see this as irrelevant as an external USB DVD+/-RW drive also has the same issue.

Comment

Ughh!!!!

I just spent a *lot* of time ripping my DVD-Audio collection using DVDFab in clone mode... based on discussion on the surroundsound google group I just checked the layer break information in some of the resulting .ini files and like others are saying here the layer break info is all wrong. Some are negative numbers, some are very large positive and are not multiple of 16 etc... It also appears to have done the same with the few regular DVD rips that I just checked. FWIW I am using Win7x64

This purchaser of the product (lifetime) is hoping this bug gets fixed soon!!!! (if there's a more formal way to report bugs please let me know).

BTW, the problem seems to affect others - see this thread:

If above link does not work, then just go to http://groups.google.com/group/surroundsound and then go to the thread called "Discussion on guide-for-ripping-dvd-a-or-dvd-v-to-iso"
            Last edited by Sherbona; 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM. Reason: fix link

Comment

try with pathplayer DISABLED

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                try with pathplayer DISABLED
                Thanks for looking at this AJG!

I just tried your suggestion but unfortunately I didn't notice any difference on the 1 disc I tested...

DVD-Audio side of The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"
                Clone Mode used for rip, use original IFO files was not checked

1. ORIGINAL RIP (PATHPLAYER ENABLED):

[ISO]
                Files=PETSOUNDS.iso
                LayerBreak=1604460289

2. RIP WITH PATHPLAYER Disabled (DVDFAB was restarted after changing the setting):

[ISO]
                Files=PETSOUNDS.iso
                LayerBreak=1604460289

3. I took the ISO from #2 above and loaded it into Imgburn. Imgburn suggested the following for the break:

LBA 129574
                % 51/49
                File/VTS VTS_01
                LU N/A
                PGC 1
                Chptr 5
                Cell 12
                V/C ID 1/12
                Start Time 00:10:40
                SLIP Yes

Please let me know if there's any other settings I should list or anything else I can do to test. Thanks again!

Comment

Does anybody know if there is any update for this issue?

Comment

Not to my knowledge. My Win7 machine is in the shop so I can't test it. I always UNcheck the "remove layer break" box. Clone mode should use the original layer break information.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I'm also still seing this issue on 7.0.3.0 and would love to have it fixed!
                      (Lifetime purchaser here too...)

I've been in contact with DVDFab email support for weeks about the issue and all I've heard so far is that it's being looked into. In their last response, I was asked for specific disc information. I provided a list of 11 DVDs (Region 1, from the years 1999-2010) to them, all of which have this problem, but have yet to hear a response.

Perhaps other should email Technical Support regarding this problem too and see if we can't work together to find the solution. I'll keep you posted on this thread if anything changes on my end.

Comment

Thanks for posting that info seanbob. I wonder why their support asked for specific disc information, maybe they haven't even tested this yet? (rhetorical question) This bug is reproducible for all Win7x64 users as far as I can tell - to test they just need to rip a dual layer disc (clone mode) and then check the resulting layer break number in the .ini file. The number is incorrect (way large, or negative, etc...) and not usable for specifying where the layer change is.

Comment

You can even check the layer break prior to ripping a disc in Clone mode...

Place the disc in your DVD drive, click on the green Settings button, and under the Info section it will list the Layer 0 and Layer 1 size information for the DVD disc. This information matches what's written to the .ini file in Clone mode.

Update: Sorry to say, but still no word back from DVDFab support on the issue...

Comment

Working...
                          X