Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVDFabVSO burning engine versus ImgBurn?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFabVSO burning engine versus ImgBurn?

It seems many experienced users prefer ImgBurn to complete the burn process versus the built-in VSO burning engine in DVDFab. Why is this the case?

I know ImgBurn has presettings such as selecting the burn speed. However, does the built-in DVDFab VSO engine not always select the optimum burn speed? Assuming I don't end up with a coaster (versus a backup DVD), is the quality of the backup movie considered better when using ImgBurn versus the built-in DVDFab VSO engine?

If I use ImgBurn, do I manually select a mid level speed for the burn speed? And what about the layerbreak? I understand what a layerbreak is on a DVD DL. However, would I have to manually select it each time I use a DVD DL if I use ImgBurn? If so, how would I know where to make the break?

I know these are lots of questions. However, I am just trying to get a better handle on the process as I am newbie. Many thanks for feedback.
    Last edited by scott7; 10-02-2009, 01:47 AM.

I use VSO for all SL backups and ImgBurn in standalone mode for all DLs. One of the advantages of ImgBurn is the precise control of and ability to preview the layer break position. I got in the habit of doing it this way before ImgBurn was selectable from within DVDFab and still prefer it. ImgBurn pops up a box with all available layer break positions that are color-coded by technical desireability. You just choose the one you prefer after previewing if necessary.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am assuming ImgBurn pops up with these layer break positions 'provided' that I have previously set DVDFab to remove the original layer break, right?

From what you are saying, I assume I would need to go into common settings, "Protection" and then 'keep' the box checked where it says 'Remove Layer Break'. The default setting is with the box 'checked'. Keeping the box checked 'removes' the layer break. Of course, letting DVDFab remove the layer break would then give the option of ImgBurn of providing alternate layer break points during the burn process, right?

However, this is what confuses me. I read in one post that it is best to 'uncheck' the box (when using DVD DL) which would then 'keep' the layer break in place versus what I wrote in the paragraph above. In the information I read elsewhere, I thought keeping the original layer break in place provided the best backup quality. Can you clarify? How does choosing an alternate layer break position provide a better outcome? Also, if I use ImgBurn, am I forced to select a layer break point versus allowing the system to choose it for me when using DVD DL?

I just want the best quality back when using DVD DL without getting too technical. I am assuming ImgBurn is the best choice in this scenario because it allows you to set the burn speed based on the MID (Media ID). Right?

However, the layer break issue confuses me when using DVD DL. Thanks again for your feedback.
      Last edited by scott7; 10-02-2009, 03:28 AM.

Comment

ImgBurn as many settings other than just the layer break and burn speed. i will not get into these here but ImgBurn does have a good forum.

DVDFab Clone Mode will always keep the original layer break.

Originally posted by scott7 View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I am assuming ImgBurn pops up with these layer break positions 'provided' that I have previously set DVDFab to remove the original layer break, right?
        yes
        From what you are saying, I assume I would need to go into common settings, "Protection" and then 'keep' the box checked where it says 'Remove Layer Break'. The default setting is with the box 'checked'. Keeping the box checked 'removes' the layer break. Of course, letting DVDFab remove the layer break would then give the option of ImgBurn of providing alternate layer break points during the burn process, right?
        yes

However, this is what confuses me. I read in one post that it is best to 'uncheck' the box (when using DVD DL) which would then 'keep' the layer break in place versus what I wrote in the paragraph above. In the information I read elsewhere, I thought keeping the original layer break in place provided the best backup quality. Can you clarify? How does choosing an alternate layer break position provide a better outcome? Also, if I use ImgBurn, am I forced to select a layer break point versus allowing the system to choose it for me when using DVD DL?
        i do not backup to Dual Layer so i can not properly answer.

I just want the best quality back when using DVD DL without getting too technical. I am assuming ImgBurn is the best choice in this scenario because it allows you to set the burn speed based on the MID (Media ID). Right?
        Auto Write Speed, yes, by MID and by drive

Comment

Working...
        X