No announcement yet.

Detecting corruption of DVD files on a hard drive using batch command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am using an older version Detecting corruption of DVD files on a hard drive using batch command

For once I can contribute a solution instead of a problem.

A couple of years ago I had my DVDs on a RAID array and it failed. I learned my lesson and then put my collection (about 1500 DVDs) on regular Windows drives. I was able to salvage some of the DVDs from the array, but after viewing some were found to be unusable (corrupted) files. I wanted to find all of the corrupted ones and so I embarked on a study to find out how I could do so. After some wasted searches from Lord Google I tried copying the DVDs using a batch command with DVDFab. I still use DVDFab8230Qt because frankly I like the interface better than the newer versions.

The first step was to identify what to check. I used a dir command on the master directory. If you have only simple DVDs then a simple dir > list.txt will do.

If you have DVDs with multiple disks for each title (e.g., West Wing) then dir /s /b is needed to parse the disk list.

Either way some editing of the list.txt file is required. In the case of the more complex dir command a lot of subfolders will need to be deleted. I use the spflite editor.

Anyway, the result needs to be a batch file that looks like this:

DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\16 BLOCKS" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\2 GUNS" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\2001" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\2010" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\2012" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\21" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 1\DISC1" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 1\DISC2" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 1\DISC3" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 1\DISC4" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 1\DISC5" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 1\DISC6" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 2\24 SEASON2_DISC1" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 2\24 SEASON2_DISC2" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 2\24 SEASON2_DISC3" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 2\24 SEASON2_DISC4" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 2\24 SEASON2_DISC5" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 2\24 SEASON2_DISC6" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q
    DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "d:\DVD Library\24 SEASON 2\24 SEASON2_DISC7" /DEST "c:\testout" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout" /s /q

Each line copies a disk to testout and if that copy is successful removes testout. If the file is corrupted DVDFAB will prompt you and at that point you have identified a corrupted file. Fix it, restart the batch command at the next disk and proceed. The whole process is much faster if the file location for testout is an SSD or NVME drive. It took me about 24 hours to verify my files. I cannot promise that this will detect all forms of corruption, but it helped me cleanse my system of many files corrupted by the failure of RAID.
    MotoMorgan

Thank you for the info. It looks like it could be useful. But maybe someone know of some programs out there that also can do this task and hopefully maybe can identify corrupted files also.

Edit: I'm not sure I could even understand myself above. Need to concentrate a bit as the meds slowly begin to take effect.. I mean an app/software that is designed solely for the task as to identify file corruption and mainly video files/discs

//LD
    Last edited by LowDead; 04-16-2020, 09:25 PM. Reason: Edited reason: Meds are kicking in...

Comment

Hi,

The "Currupted DVD" means that the the DVD structure is broken or the VOB files could not be played back?

Would you please give us more info?

Thanks!

Wilson
      Please post your logs the default location is:
      For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
      For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
      If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

In my case it was a DVD that would not play using Windows Media Center's player or VLC. It was corruption arising from the raid array failure.
        MotoMorgan

Comment

A DVD file as copied originally using DVDFab into DVD format on the hard drive.
          MotoMorgan

Comment

Checking 1352 DVDs took about 24 hours.
            MotoMorgan

Comment

Are these ISOs or VIDEO_TS folders (as you had them stored on the raid)?
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

They were DVDs coming out of DVDfab having AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.
                MotoMorgan

Comment

Working...
                X