This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent problem with ripped DVD

I have recently noticed that when I am ripping a movie that the black bars are wavey. This just seemed to start happening recently. I believe I updated before this so maybe it is a known bug. The picture quality doesn't seem as good and like I said on the 2.35:1 film you will see the black edge jitter and shake.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neil

Originally posted by heffneil View Post
    I have recently noticed that when I am ripping a movie that the black bars are wavey. This just seemed to start happening recently. I believe I updated before this so maybe it is a known bug. The picture quality doesn't seem as good and like I said on the 2.35:1 film you will see the black edge jitter and shake.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neil

A couple... but first, what media are you using?? Or are you ripping to your HD?

What version did you update to?

DC

Comment

Ripping to my hard drive. I am now running 6.2.1.8. I did notice that a entire disk rip (disk to disk) was set to Disk 5 and I think that is / was my problem. I don't know how that got changed but it looks like several of the disk rips are too small?!

Crazy!

Neil

Comment

Yeah, over-compression is likely to be the cause, especially if you're ripping the entire disc.
        Let us know how the next rip plays back
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by heffneil View Post
          Ripping to my hard drive. I am now running 6.2.1.8. I did notice that a entire disk rip (disk to disk) was set to Disk 5 and I think that is / was my problem. I don't know how that got changed but it looks like several of the disk rips are too small?!

Crazy!

Neil

Even if it is a DVD5 setting, you still shouldn't be seeing this kind of problem... what are you using for playback?

DC

Comment

I redid the rip and it is still a problem. The file sizes are identical so I was using DVD9.

I am watching the rips on SageTV. I don't know the decoder but regardless this has never been a problem until recently. Same equipment for ripping and playing back.

Any other ideas? Where can I find the previous version for testing?

Thanks!

Neil

Comment

Also I am just doing the main movie not the entire disc.

Thanks!

Neil

Comment

This may be a hardware failure, not sure what a SageTV is but I had the same thing happen with a lcd monitor connected to my computer, the power supply/converter failed, I replaced it and then the lcd died a week later anyway. Try playing back on another device to rule this out.

Comment

I have multiple set top boxes for sage on multiple tv's and its the same movie on all of them. Movies burned earlier this year are not a problem. The movie in question actually had subtitles so I re-ripped it and now its shaky!

Comment

Do the ripped files play ok when viewed from the hdd with a software player?....suggest you try with VLC as it does not rely on external codecs
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I have not tried that. I will try that later this evening. I have to be in front of the machine in order to test...

Thanks,

Neil

Comment

Ok I played the same file with VLC and it plays perfectly. Back to the drawing board and another forum to get this resolved! Very strange that more recent rips all exhibit this issue.

Any good codecs worth trying?

Thanks,

Neil

Comment

Check the deinterlace settings on your player (if it has any).
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                          X