X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crashes or wont start on xp pro sp3 machine

Here's the deal.

7026 installs, then asks for a restart as normal.

After restart I double click on the icon and I get a momentary hourglass that persists for maybe 5-10 seconds and then nothing happens. A check of Task manager/Processes show that DVDfab is not running.

I can only presume the program either won't open or has crashed at the very preliminary stage of opening. (This is my Windows XP professional SP3 machine, Intel 4 2.8Ghz, w/2GB of ram. I have DVD Fab 6218 installed and that works perfectly.)

I have attempted unistall and reinstalling from both my original 7026 download, and from a fresh download. I tried installing on a different machine from the second download and it works perfectly on that one. (That machine is a Windows XP Home version.)

Could there be a problem with compatability with windows XP Pro? Not sure what to try next.

Originally posted by knightmage View Post
    Here's the deal.

7026 installs, then asks for a restart as normal.

After restart I double click on the icon and I get a momentary hourglass that persists for maybe 5-10 seconds and then nothing happens. A check of Task manager/Processes show that DVDfab is not running.

I can only presume the program either won't open or has crashed at the very preliminary stage of opening. (This is my Windows XP professional SP3 machine, Intel 4 2.8Ghz, w/2GB of ram. I have DVD Fab 6218 installed and that works perfectly.)

I have attempted unistall and reinstalling from both my original 7026 download, and from a fresh download. I tried installing on a different machine from the second download and it works perfectly on that one. (That machine is a Windows XP Home version.)

Could there be a problem with compatability with windows XP Pro? Not sure what to try next.

Nope... no compatibility problem that I'm aware of... I have a system very close to yours, and so far, no problems running any version of Fab.

Registry problems may be at the source of your problem... (I assume you used MS Add/Remove to uninstall the last time you tried... if not, please let me know...).

Download a utility called CCleaner (a freebie on the web) and run a check on your registry with it... JUST the registry. Remove any problems it finds, then uninstall again (and use CCleaner right after to clean it again), then re-install from your latest D/L, and try running it again.

Please let us know what happens.

DC

Comment

Be sure to run the installer "...As Administrator", very important.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but nope it's still doing it after trying your sequence with CCleaner. In all cases (prior to my original post, and using the sequence provided) I used the MS add/remove utility, and as Administrator.

After it failed to start after the reinstall, and again using the desktop Icon to launch it, I decided to bring up task manager and see if it even showed up momentarily. Each subsiquent time I tried to start it, TM showed DVDFab in processes for about a second or two then it dissapeard. Again all I can assume is that it is crashing immediately. I know it's a beta or is my copying computer just possessed?

Comment

My first 2 guesses would be the same as signals and DC.
          What a PITA for you.

Next I'd recommend going forward and install 7.0.2.7 Beta and keep your fingers X'd.
          If no luck there, I'd revert to your last working version.
          If you need the installer (if it's not available here on the forum) just pm me with your email and I'll get it to you.

If still no luck, I guess we (mostly you...lol) roll up oiur sleeves and get dirty.

As DC said, there's no known compatibilty issue with XP Pro.
          I donated a rig almost identical to yours to my wife. XP Pro and Fab get along great.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hmmmm, I love a good mystery, but not in my machines when I'm tired... lol

I went ahead and uninstalled 7026 again, and d/l'd and installed 7027.... Still doing exactly the same thing. Like you said time to roll up my sleeves and do it the hard way... If anyone has any other suggestions keep'em coming, and I'll report back when I get it working.

Comment

Hmmmm, I love a good mystery, but not in my machines when I'm tired... lol

I went ahead and uninstalled 7026 again, and d/l'd and installed 7027.... Still doing exactly the same thing. Like you said time to roll up my sleeves and do it the hard way... If anyone has any other suggestions keep'em coming, and I'll report back when I get it working.

OK... get those sleeves up...

When was the last time you ran an antimalware and antivirus program on your system... and which programs were they??

DC

Comment

Nice thought, but I'm running norton internet security 2010 with the current definitions. I did a full manual scan on that particular system last night, and the system did an idle time scan during the midst of all this and it too was clean.

Comment

Nice thought, but I'm running norton internet security 2010 with the current definitions. I did a full manual scan on that particular system last night, and the system did an idle time scan during the midst of all this and it too was clean.

OK...I don't know how to tell you this, but Norton is one of the worst you could possibly use...

I use NOD32 for virus, and Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware for malware, and I also have Zone Alarm on my system for back-up to all that.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest you lose everything Norton, don't bother with McAfee, and go with either Kaspursky or NOD32 for viruses, and keep another set of programs on your system for malware.

There are types of malware that can detect programs that use the internet, and have been written to block those programs from running (to prevent anything from recognizing them and removing them - but they can't tell the difference between Fab and Malwarebytes...).

Comments?

DC

Comment

it's a thought, and one I'll consider a bit as Norton has been getting on my nerves lately.

On a different note I have a question for one of the software authors. I just fired up Fab 6 and got an error saying my DMA isn't enabled. It's letting me copy on that machine, but it's taking longer than usual.

Long story short it looks like my SATA drive (my system drive) might be failing on that machine... but for curiosity could there be a hiccup in fab 7 that crashes it if DMA is not enabled rather than giving the error/suggestion message that 6 gives. Anyway looks like I'm heading to the parts store tomorrow. I'll let you all know tomoorw after I do surgery.

Comment

it's a thought, and one I'll consider a bit as Norton has been getting on my nerves lately.

On a different note I have a question for one of the software authors. I just fired up Fab 6 and got an error saying my DMA isn't enabled. It's letting me copy on that machine, but it's taking longer than usual.

Long story short it looks like my SATA drive (my system drive) might be failing on that machine... but for curiosity could there be a hiccup in fab 7 that crashes it if DMA is not enabled rather than giving the error/suggestion message that 6 gives. Anyway looks like I'm heading to the parts store tomorrow. I'll let you all know tomoorw after I do surgery.

Fab should still work, not totally sure about SATA, as I'm still on IDE... but it'll seem like Fab is slogging through molasses...

But DMA is easy to set from Fab, so that shouldn't be a terrible issue...

P.S. The direct answer to your question is YES ... it could be possible (but not a hiccup as much as something in the O/S re SATA... someone here that knows SATA may want to step in at this point...)

DC

Comment

knightmage
                        Do as DC suggested and reset DMA through Fab Green check top of Fab screen / General / Click reset DMA.
                        You can also go into device manager under Serial ATA Controller click the port which has your drive and make sure DMA is also selected.
                        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Agree about Norton that's for sure.
                          I think I finally threw in the towel about 2004 with System Works.
                          When it worked, it worked great, but was a resource hog and incredibly invasive.
                          Man, when it went south, the whole system went south.

SATA drive shouldn't be more of a problem.
                          I have 2 IDE ODDs and 2 SATA ODDSs on my Win7 64-bit rig, but they're all configured as IDE.
                          Any idea how your ODDs are configured in your bios?

Yup, DMA should reset with the Fab button, but it doesn't always stick.
                          You may have to do what CB suggested or uninstall your burners.
                          Actually uninstalling your ODDs might be worth a shot anyway.
                          Reboot and let windoz reinstall and assign the appropriate drivers.

If you still have problems, you can also run the .VBS Script file...link in my sig
                          Stubborn DMA reset

Best of luck with the patient and transplant.
                          Hope the blood loss is kept to a minimun...lol

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showpost.php...61&postcount=2 may be good to check.
                            人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
                            Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

In the event the transplant is less than successful...

Originally posted by Blazkowicz View Post
                              Excellent idea and I'm not sure how the rest of us failed to mention it.
                              I think Auto is the default, but try all 3...Auto, SPTI, ASPI
                              Common Settings > Dvd / Blu-ray > Read > I/O.

Maybe we should also look at uninstalling patin-couffin driver.
                              Device manager > VSO (at or near the bottom) > click + to expand and delete all installs of p-c driver
                              It's not needed as VSO uses SPTI anyway.
                              You can always reinstall with the next Fab/VSO install.

You also may want to take VSO entirely out of the equation.
                              Uninstall Fab > Delete everything to do with VSO and p-c driver.
                              D/L Fab > Install Fab and untick VSO so it doesn't install.
                              Download and install Img....a more reliable and more configurable burn engine.
                              Here's a video tutorial and D/L link:

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDab to work together

Comment

Working...
                              X