This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debugging a ripping problem

I have some old DVDs that I think may not even be protected that I'm trying to rip to ISO. DVDFab doesn't even recognize the file structure on the disk - the title list box is empty in customize mode and in full disc mode, nothing gets pulled from the DVD.

The disk plays fine and DVDShrink will rip the disk fine, it just doesn't have the features I want to rip to ISO.

Is there any way I can track down what the problem might be and perhaps report a bug?

This is on version 7.0.7.0

Thanks,
    Brian

Well for starters what is the name of the movie and where is it from? Also is it a personally made movie or commercially made? Could as well use the dvdfab internal logs and dvdfab process logs which are found in Documents-DVDFab-Logs

Comment

This is the DVD (it's a set): http://www.christianbook.com/the-ult...tion/pd/98019X

And this is all thats logged when I try to do a full backup:

Code:
      DVDFab 7.0.7.0 (2010/06/25  16:59:39)

0m 00.93s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 file2mobile 0 filemover 0
       0m 04.59s: detected dvd
       0m 04.65s: drive D
       0m 04.65s: video dvd 1
       0m 04.65s: volume label VOL_1_ANIMALS
       0m 04.93s: got copyright 0 0
       0m 05.65s: got udf/iso
       0m 06.65s: got discinfo
       0m 06.73s: got dvdinfo
      Attached is a snapshot of what DVDFab finds on the DVD.
      Attached Files

Comment

I suspect the file structure is not something Fab can handle.
        I'm betting these dvds exhibit less than strict adherence to dvd compliant structure.

I can think of a few options.

You can try disabling PathPlayer.
        You can try an older version of Fab

Use shrink to decrypt and then use Img to create the .ISO files.
        Open Img > Build Mode > just drag and drop the "shrink" ripped files into the Source box.
        Img will convert these files to .ISO

This conversion only takes about a minute for a full length movie

If the dvds are not encrypted (but I think they are), you can skip the shrink step.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Why not use shrink to create the ISO at once?

Comment

If the discs are old and perhaps unprotected, try disabling PathPlayer temporarily.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes, I think disabling PathPlayer is the first step to try as well.

@Gummi, good point, but the OP stated,
              Originally posted by bjm051593 View Post
              The disk plays fine and DVDShrink will rip the disk fine, it just doesn't have the features I want to rip to ISO.
              I'm not sure what the problem is, but, well there it is
              I'm trying to remember...
              Don't you need dvddecrypyter or Img to create the .ISO with shrink?

That was about 5+ years ago for me.
              I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday...

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Shrink can on its own create an ISO.

Comment

Thanks Gummi, like I said, I couldn't remember.
                  Are you sure this applies to all versions?
                  Wonder what's up with the OP's statement then?

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                    Thanks Gummi, like I said, I couldn't remember.
                    Are you sure this applies to all versions?
                    Wonder what's up with the OP's statement then?
                    Version 3.1.7 - 14 March 2004

Added function to read and write ISO files, also backup option to burn an ISO file with DVD Decrypter.
                    I wouldn't use it to create ISO's that's going to be burned with DL media due to the lack of good layer break support.

Comment

Again, thanks for the info

Comment

Update:

I tried disabling PathPlayer and that did work to allow me to rip the DVDs in Fab. According to Shrink they are not encrypted. So after disabling PathPlayer I could rip to ISO but the menus didn't work - when I played the ISO it just went to a black screen.

I also tried using shrink to do a full backup and then use that ISO in Fab to remove the FBI warning stuff, but that didn't make any difference.

So I ended up using shrink to do a full backup. I'll just have to live with the extra 40 seconds at the begining of the disk.

Thanks for all the tips.

Comment

Working...
                        X