DVDFab Doesn't See Hard-Coded Subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab Doesn't See Hard-Coded Subtitles

Hello. I have a problem with what I believe are called hard-coded subtitles on several English language movies. Characters briefly speak in another language and subtitles appear. These subtitles are not the sort that can be controlled from a settings menu. They are part of the video itself. However, DVDFab does not “see” these subtitles. They do not appear in the preview window or on my TV screen when the ripped movie is played on my Seagate Free Agent+ HD Media player.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2010, 09:57 PM.

Rothman,
    First is first. Terminology.
    Hard-Coded Subs is a rendered directly to picture text and become part of the picture.
    Subtitles you are describing called Forced Subtitles. To have them shown you should also check "Forced Subtitles only" box.

Secondly, it's not that DVDFab doesn't see subs, but your player. Please try t again and try this player for playback: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Additional suggestion: for the forced subs to be displayed, you must be sure that the subpicture stream you select contains them. They are usually part of the first stream in the language of the DVD audio, i.e. for a R1 English DVD, they are usually in the top English subpicture stream (but this is not always true, use the Preview window to test play the different subpic streams).
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

In addition to what has been said already. Are you doing FullDVD or Main Movie?

Comment

DVDFab & Forced Subtitles

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Thanks for providing the correct terminology, IPopov50. I understand that DVD to Mobile has a "Display only forced subpicture" box. However, I don't see this option in DVD to DVD.

I follow your advice re subpicture stream selection, signals. I read your 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM forum comment that “Forced subs will play by themselves if the stream that contains them is included by checking the selection box only.” My issue is that I want to copy only the forced subtitles, i.e., the English translation of foreign languages spoken in the film. I don’t wish to view the English subtitles for the entirety of an English-language film. When playing this movie in a DVD player, I don’t need to turn on the English subtitles to see forced subtitles

Finally, AGJ, I’ve tried Full Disc and Main Movie with the same (lack of) result.

Thanks again.

Comment

DVDFab & Forced Subtitles

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Comment

OK, Full Disc will have all subtitles present whether they forced or not and it up to you to use the DVD player remote and go into the subtitles/language menu to select no subtitles, then you will not have subtitles while watching the DVD. Main movie will give you the choice to select the subtitles you want to have before you begin the copying stage and they will be shown when watching. If you not want subtitles on DVD when you are doing Main movie untick all subtitles that are shown and select Display only forced subtitles. Now you not have subtitles at all unless you have another language being spoken then you get the forced subtitles

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                If you not want subtitles on DVD when you are doing Main movie untick all subtitles that are shown and select Display only forced subtitles.
                Select 'Display only forced subtitles' ?? Where is this? I have never been able to do a main movie with subtitles displayed for non-english dialog.

Can anyone help? I use DVDFab 4 but have a trial of 7 and it does not work either.

Comment

Originally posted by mknoblock View Post
                  Select 'Display only forced subtitles' ?? Where is this? I have never been able to do a main movie with subtitles displayed for non-english dialog.

Can anyone help? I use DVDFab 4 but have a trial of 7 and it does not work either.
                  That statement leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Why are you still using V4?
                  How are you using a trial of V7 if you have had a previous unregistered version on your PC?

Post your logs... both internal and burn for us to look at.

Comment

Display only force subs is selectable only when making mobile conversions. The forced subs are part of the DVD video stream and the forced start command is read by the player. You must have the subpicture stream that contains the forced subs present in your backup for them to be displayed. Some media players do not decode the forced start command. If you want to see if the DVD folders or decrypted discs contain forced subs, download DVDSubEdit, a free application. It allows you to open the VOB files of the DVD and scans them to see if forced subs are present, and has a checkbox in the upper right that says "Only show forced subpics", which will find them for you. The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons are good test discs for forced subs, they are both full of them.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón;50127[B
                      Why are you still using V4?[/B]
                      because it works. except for the subtitle thing.

Originally posted by Gruñón;50127[B
                      How are you using a trial of V7 if you have had a previous unregistered version on your PC?[/B]
                      I decided to try V7 (ie, I downloaded the trial version) to see if I could create main movies with subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                        Display only force subs is selectable only when making mobile conversions. The forced subs are part of the DVD video stream and the forced start command is read by the player. You must have the subpicture stream that contains the forced subs present in your backup for them to be displayed. Some media players do not decode the forced start command. If you want to see if the DVD folders or decrypted discs contain forced subs, download DVDSubEdit, a free application. It allows you to open the VOB files of the DVD and scans them to see if forced subs are present, and has a checkbox in the upper right that says "Only show forced subpics", which will find them for you. The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons are good test discs for forced subs, they are both full of them.
                        thanks; I'll get DVDSubEdit and continue to pursue this. I assume this is not a straightforward process? For example, if I have a French film that has English and Spanish subtitle tracks, and select only the English subtitle, when decoding to MAIN MOVIE, the subtitles do not appear, whether played on a burned DVD or in a player (PowerDVD). I can copy/burn the full disk, of course, but then you lose the beauty of the Main Movie feature.

Comment

For example, if I have a French film that has English and Spanish subtitle tracks, and select only the English subtitle, when decoding to MAIN MOVIE, the subtitles do not appear, whether played on a burned DVD or in a player (PowerDVD)..
                          Use the remote control to select subtitles or right click the PowerDVD screen and select subtitles. This should allow subtitles to show

Comment

thanks; I'll get DVDSubEdit and continue to pursue this. I assume this is not a straightforward process? For example, if I have a French film that has English and Spanish subtitle tracks, and select only the English subtitle, when decoding to MAIN MOVIE, the subtitles do not appear, whether played on a burned DVD or in a player (PowerDVD). I can copy/burn the full disk, of course, but then you lose the beauty of the Main Movie feature.
                            No, this should be very straightforward, but there are a few caveats: When using Main Movie (or Merge or Customize), if you want the subs to play unconditionally and without player intervention (as AGJ suggested) you must select them as default (turn on the default arrow) and you must play the output files as a DVD, i.e. if you try playing only the VOB files, they will not appear, since the default play coding is in the IFO file. This works correctly with most standalone and software players. If all else fails, DVDSubEdit has the ability to turn any of the subs, even the entire stream, into true forced subs almost instantly. Also, any player controls that would jump to the movie feature should be turned off (e.g. VLC).

As an exercise once, I took a R1 DVD (English) and made it play back with French audio and Spanish subtitles using the default arrow.

//EDIT//

If you are using PowerDVD or WinDVD, try playing the movie by double clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file (or "Open With..." from the file context menu if these files are not associated with the player app).

Comment

Sorry guys I'm a little confused. If I'm making a dvd to dvd copy and I uncheck subpicture and the movie has a Spanish part, will it still show the English subtitle on the bottom? thanks much!

Comment

Working...
                              X