Recommended Write Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Write Speed

What should be the recommended write speed when burning a full DVD movie into a 16x Verbatim DVD-R Blank Discs. The reason why I ask is because I have been told several times that I should set the write speed to an 8x if I am using 16x, or 4x if I am using 8x. Others have told me to just set the write speed at 4x regardless if I am using 8x or 16x blank DVD-R Verbatim discs. The reason why, is to insure less errors when in the burning process. I ask, what is the recommended write speed when using a Verbatim DVD-R 16x Discs? Is it 4x or 8x, or leave it at 16x? Please help. Thanks....c0afanh.

Hi c0afanh
    Rule of thumb is 1/2 the speed of your disc, so 8x is fine
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Or half the speed of your drive, which ever is the lower. So with 16x disc's and an 8x dvd drive you should pick 4x.

Comment

Best DVD Writing Speed

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
        Hi c0afanh
        Rule of thumb is 1/2 the speed of your disc, so 8x is fine
        CBR929
        I have tried many speeds over the years, The speeds I generally use are 4× for single layer media, 2.4× for dual layer media. I have never had a bad burn using these speeds. Modern burners do seem to burn better than say 4 years ago and where i occasionally burn at 8× for single layer media when burning using my LG "Blue Ray" burner (For some obscure reason my LG burner will not burn single layer DVD's any slower) and have not had any problems.
        I have experimented with very slow burn speeds on single layer disks 2-2.4× but found that this was as bad as burning on a higher speed 12-16×.
        Also found that some older players, namely a Sanyo DVD/VHS combi unit anything other than 4×did not play without extreme pixilation.
        Used to use the Sanyo for testing any DVD's i burnt (relegated to the attic now) if it played on that it would play on anything.
        Use good quality media as has been stated many times on this forum Verbatim (single or dual layer), Taiyo Yuden (single layer), cheap media fails after three to four years, some times seems to oxidise, occasionally coating leaves the disk or starts to pixilate when played.

I think that covers the basics.

Comment

I also have an LG burner. It produces better quality scans at 8X than at 4X with Verbatim blank SLs. For DLs the best quality scans are again Verbatim, using the 8X DL blanks burned at 6X. All using ImgBurn. I do not use the 2.4X blanks any longer, the 8X MKM-003 blanks are so much faster and the LG Super-Multi-Blu drives don't seem to work very well at 2.4X.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by c0afanh View Post
            What should be the recommended write speed when burning a full DVD movie into a 16x Verbatim DVD-R Blank Discs. The reason why I ask is because I have been told several times that I should set the write speed to an 8x if I am using 16x, or 4x if I am using 8x. Others have told me to just set the write speed at 4x regardless if I am using 8x or 16x blank DVD-R Verbatim discs. The reason why, is to insure less errors when in the burning process. I ask, what is the recommended write speed when using a Verbatim DVD-R 16x Discs? Is it 4x or 8x, or leave it at 16x? Please help. Thanks....c0afanh.
            When I use my 16x verbies which is very rarely I burn them at a burn speed of 12x. My 4x verbies I burn at 4x as that the only supported speed for them according to ImgBurn but they have a MID of MCC-002-00 and is the same as my Taiyo Yuden that I have for burn quality.

Comment

In other words you need to do your own testing to see what is best for you on your personal system because as you see every one has a different experience including me.

I have almost 6000 burns and never use 4X on 16X disc because the quality sucks.

Comment

I burn everything DVD at 12x. Have for years and have no problems at that speed.
                I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Working...
                X