Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customize - double titles, select both.. smaller output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customize - double titles, select both.. smaller output?

DVDFab version: v8.0.3.2
    DVD: Various. Example: Brothers R2
    Pathplayer: on OR off, doesn't matter

Log files don't contain anything interesting (only _internal.log applies).

I'm backing up DVDs to ISOs to free up some shelf space, save the discs (some are starting to crack around the center hole), etc.. the usual arguments.

But to save a little more space still, I thought I'd use the Custom function to weed out languages I don't understand and titles that can go back to where the sun don't shine with whoever put them on the disc in the first place (e.g. unrelated trailers).

But some of these DVDs exhibit something that puzzles me. There will be two titles of the exact same duration and vitals (language, subpicture, etc.) and - as far as I can determine via a preview.. are indeed the same. That in itself might not be all that peculiar (glitch or they really did put the movie on there twice for who knows what reason).

The thing that's peculiar is this.. if I select ONE of them, the projected size is (for this DVD) 4703MB. Doesn't matter which one I select, either will give 4703MB. But if I select -both-, the projected size is 4376MB. Now I wouldn't have been surprised if the projected size stayed the same if DVDFab realized they were really the same stream anyway. But I can't fathom what piece of code would determine the result to be smaller if I select both / larger if I select just one.

Any thoughts?

The DVD Copy feature seems to be working just fine in general (needed to use the old Nero DriveSpeed to copy some iffy quality DVDs and the UI is something else.. but fine in general) so I'll probably reg a copy, but I'm curious as to what's going on with the above before I commit to this (selecting both) as a standard process and then later find out I shouldn't have been doing that.

This is not unheard of on some DVD titles. Some are just poorly authored, I have seen at least one that actually had two copies of the movie, but usually this is two versions of the movie that are slightly different, e.g. deleted scenes included or opening or closing credits in different languages and similar features. I have also seen some with the unusual trait you mention that the size gets smaller when both are selected. For these, it may be a problem with the way DVDFab is interpreting the IFO files. For these you may want to click the "Send Info Files" button on the Info page so the developers can take a look at it. You can also try setting PathPlayer for a deeper scan of the content by using the sliders to increase the size of scanned cells (top slider) and decreasing the number of skipped VOBUs (bottom slider). I have these set for 480 seconds and 10 VOBUs. Use a DVD player to see which title it is playing when the main movie starts and select that one for your copy. PathPlayer should be set to "Always Enable" except in rare cases.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Badly authored discs.. well, this one would probably qualify.. it has 99 titles.

Originally posted by signals View Post
      I have also seen some with the unusual trait you mention that the size gets smaller when both are selected. For these, it may be a problem with the way DVDFab is interpreting the IFO files. For these you may want to click the "Send Info Files" button on the Info page so the developers can take a look at it.
      A-ha.. I was wondering where some basic DVD information might be stored.. always skipped right past that first screen and to the DVD/Blu-Ray section. Silly me. Files to be sent shortly.

Changing the PathPlayer settings didn't change anything.

Playing through an actual DVD player (or DVD player software) might indeed be a good way to figure out which actual segments I want.. the actual player doesn't seem to show title info, unfortunately, but looks like MPC has some information.. The main movie being title 84 (one of the two long duration titles in DVDfab). If I choose from the 'Scenes' menu, it plays title 57 (the other long duration title). Yikes.

Comment

Well, correction... 'd like to send the devs the files but hitting that option just prefabs an e-mail.. which is fine, but there's nothing in the To: field (mail client: Thunderbird)

Comment

You should not need an email client, but if that is all that works, send it to service at dvdfab.com

Sounds like you are making some progress.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Indeed - after hitting Send on the form to fill in, it goes straight to mail app with the subject/body filled in and the data report attached.

Anyway - sent now; thanks for your assistance

Comment

You are welcome. I have found out the report app has been rewritten should be out in a week or so to eliminate the email.

Comment

Oh good.. glad I'm not going crazy after all

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room.

Comment

SHelfSpace, You can use the default title which DVDFab selected to copy your DVDs.
                  I always use it.

Comment

Oh yeah, I have little doubt that either title, or both, would be fine. I was just curious why selecting both would reduce the apparent size - it's not very logical from my point of view

The devs have the ifo file bits and pieces to poke at now so that the product may be improved.

In the mean time I'm just continuing 'as is' and doing a 'full disc' backup in those cases where I'm a little confused. I'm definitely making some space available with this.. 120DVDs and counting, all on a package (2TB drive) that's smaller than 2 DVD boxes combined.. although I should say 4 DVD boxes as I'm using 2 of those drives and mirroring them (imagine the drive dying.. eek! )

Comment

Working...
                    X