Still confused with subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still confused with subtitles

I hope I'm not "beating a dead horse" on this subject, but the other night I was watching Rendition which was actually a standard dvd but the process is probably the same I assume for dvd vs. Bluray as far as subtitles go. when I ripped the movie I only selected the english subtitles, nothing else. When the foreign language was spoken(sorry I don't know what it was) it did not pop up below the screen. I had to go into subtiltes on my dvd player and select english, but then they were on all the time even when english was spoken. I understand that Avatar was the same way as far as the subtiles not coming up when the foreign language was spoken. What am I doing wrong when I rip a movie, or is it something in the software that is not working right. Usually I only select english subtitles and uncheck all the other languages. This has happened with other movies as well, Gran Torino to name one. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Jayt,

Please install DVDFab 8.0.5.0 at http://www.dvdfab.com/order.htm to see the result.

Comment

jayt
      Are you playing these with a software player on your PC or a disc you burned on a standalone player connected to your TV?
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I am playing these on a stand alone dvd player and bluray player with discs I have burned.

Comment

Since the discs mentioned are DVDs I moved the thread to the DVD Copy section

Comment

Originally posted by jayt View Post
            I hope I'm not "beating a dead horse" on this subject, but the other night I was watching Rendition which was actually a standard dvd but the process is probably the same I assume for dvd vs. Bluray as far as subtitles go. when I ripped the movie I only selected the english subtitles, nothing else. When the foreign language was spoken(sorry I don't know what it was) it did not pop up below the screen. I had to go into subtiltes on my dvd player and select english, but then they were on all the time even when english was spoken. I understand that Avatar was the same way as far as the subtiles not coming up when the foreign language was spoken. What am I doing wrong when I rip a movie, or is it something in the software that is not working right. Usually I only select english subtitles and uncheck all the other languages. This has happened with other movies as well, Gran Torino to name one. Any help would be appreciated.
            Your issue has nothing to do with DVDFab, but with your video player. The subtitles that you speak of are imbedded subtitles or forced subtitles. I know that older versions of VLC would NOT display forced subtitles, but the latest version processes them most of the time. Whenever I have a movie with forced subtitles that don't display with VLC, I mount the image and use Nero Showtime and they work just fine.

Comment

Apparently there is a problem with DVDFab 8.xxx in regards to forced subtitles as they are no longer showing up on my playbacks. The most recent example is "Date Night".

Comment

sweetone69
                jayt is playing on a standalone player, not on a PC.

jayt
                There is nothing wrong with the subtitle rendering or the display only forced option in v8050 of DVD Copy or DVD Ripper, I just tried it. I have not had time to test a Blu-ray yet.

//EDIT// BD Copy and BD Ripper also work correctly with actual forced subs. Test discs: DVD-Angels&Demons R1 Chapter 2; BD-Avatar Region A Chapter 12.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                  sweetone69
                  jayt is playing on a standalone player, not on a PC.

jayt
                  There is nothing wrong with the subtitle rendering or the display only forced option in v8050 of DVD Copy or DVD Ripper, I just tried it. I have not had time to test a Blu-ray yet.

//EDIT// BD Copy and BD Ripper also work correctly with actual forced subs. Test discs: DVD-Angels&Demons R1 Chapter 2; BD-Avatar Region A Chapter 12.
                  Thanks for the replies, I ripped that movie (Rendition) to disc quite a while ago so it was an older version of DVDFab. I don't think the problem is with my Bluray player (Oppo BD-83). I just wondered if I was doing something wrong when I selected the subtitles I wanted, I usually only select the English subs.

Comment

Working...
                  X