No announcement yet.

WMV Performance Expectations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper WMV Performance Expectations ?

I am evaluating DVDFab 8.0.5 in order to rip almost 600 DVDs (non Blue Ray) I own, to my hard drive, for backup and for creating a media server. Having this many to rip means performance is a bit important. In the tests I've run so far I am getting about 50-55fps for an 848x476 WMV file encoded with 2000kbs video and 192 kbs 5.1 audio. I am using the one pass method. I've tried turning off/on GPU acceleration but the speed didn't change. I read through a number of threads in the forums and determine whether WMV off-load procesing to the GPU is supported yet or not. I know it is for MPEG4.

My PC is an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboatd with an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor with 8 Gig of memory. The motherboard has a Radeon HD 4290 GPU. I am running Windows 7 64bit Professional.

Form what I am ripping, is 50-55fps reasonable ? If I get a better video card, will DVDFab use it for WMV ripping and what kind of higher rates could I expect ? I'd be happy if I could get in the 150-200 range. I am considering buying DVDFab but knowing the possible ripping speed will help me decide. I am curious as to what others are seeing ripping to WMV files.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 9850 Quad 4g. Memory and a 4830 overclocked video card. With this after fine tuning system overclocked 9850 to 3ghz tightening timing specs and setting up my drives in raid 0 config, I now reach 70 to 80 fps on all rips. The Video card could help but even a then it is hit or miss if it will be used. You have to tighten up you system and mainly the drive speed and thoughput to drives after your system is set up.

Comment

You are using DVD Ripper to upscale the content; let your player or display do this on-the-fly during playback. The conversions will run much faster if you set the output size for a smaller screen with fewer pixels to encode. It will run faster still if you use something besides wmv for encoding. Try one of the h264 profiles if your player supports this format.

Widescreen content at 6xxX2xx encodes to wmv at about 110fps on my machine, h264+aac runs 125-150fps for similar encode bitrate (1000kbps). Xvid normally runs even faster, but it is not running at all for me with v8.0.5.1.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        You are using DVD Ripper to upscale the content; let your player or display do this on-the-fly during playback. The conversions will run much faster if you set the output size for a smaller screen with fewer pixels to encode. It will run faster still if you use something besides wmv for encoding. Try one of the h264 profiles if your player supports this format.

Widescreen content at 6xxX2xx encodes to wmv at about 110fps on my machine, h264+aac runs 125-150fps for similar encode bitrate (1000kbps). Xvid normally runs even faster, but it is not running at all for me with v8.0.5.1.
        I am not upsacling. It is a straight conversion to WMV with the same size. Unfortunately WMV is all that I can support right now. h264 is an option in the future but not now. So WMV processing via the GPU isn't supported right now, correct ?

Comment

At 848x476 I don't see how you are not upscaling, but, yes, DVDFab currently supports only CUDA encoding for h264. You can probably use the GPU for decoding the MPEG-2 to some advantage depending on your system.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            At 848x476 I don't see how you are not upscaling, but, yes, DVDFab currently supports only CUDA encoding for h264. You can probably use the GPU for decoding the MPEG-2 to some advantage depending on your system.
            I admit being a bit new to this but the DVD sources say they are 854x480. These are standard wide screen DVDs. I am checking them in DVDfab when I reveiw the queue. I thought 853x480 is standard for 16x9 DVDs ?

Comment

Nope, these figures indicate anamorphic composition.

The actual resolution should be 720 x XXX (PAL) and I think 704 x XXX for NTSC DVD's.

Going above these resolutions gain absolutely nothing and as my good friend, Signals has said, you are upscaling.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I'd suggest you check the sync of the audio and video in the last quarter of any movie converted to a WMV file. This is especially true if you are using the WMV 10 WMA Pro 5.1 profile. It has not worked properly for some time and the development team seams completely stumped on how to fix it. It has been this way since version 7 hit the shelves. Do a search here and you'll find users with issues creating a sync'd WMV file.

Comment

Originally posted by MRL_DVDFab View Post
                  I'd suggest you check the sync of the audio and video in the last quarter of any movie converted to a WMV file. This is especially true if you are using the WMV 10 WMA Pro 5.1 profile. It has not worked properly for some time and the development team seams completely stumped on how to fix it. It has been this way since version 7 hit the shelves. Do a search here and you'll find users with issues creating a sync'd WMV file.
                  Wow, you are right. I just checked a couple and they are slightly out of sync at the end. The longer the rip the more out of sync they seem. If I do a copy with DVDfab and then a rip with Roxio 2011, the sync is fine. Roxio just doesn't give me as many options for the output and it becomes a 2 step process. I am looking at whether a DVD copy to VOBs will work or not. My issue is on the client side being able to play VOBs. That may be resovled now.

Comment

Originally posted by MRL_DVDFab View Post

I recently registered my copy of DVD Faba nd have been testing with 8.0.6.1 . Most are not having the sync problem any longer, when converting to WMV with the WMP 10 and 5.1 sound. However, I do notice that it seems to only use 4 of my 6 CPU cores to process the files, based upon looking at CPY utilization. I checked affinity and it is setup for all cores. Is there a limit on WMV converting that only allows it to use 4 cores ?

Comment

Working...
                    X