Impressive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Impressive!

Using most up-to-date DVDFab, BD-Ripper on Spiderman 3 using the h264audiocopy profile and the system is slammed!

i7 Core 920 and 12gigs DDR3 memory on Win 7 64bit. WOW!
    Attached Files

DVDFab knows how to use resources to give you speed. What was the fps conversion rate?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have the same system (920 i7, 12GB ram, windows 6 64-bit), except I use hardware decode/encoding on an superclocked nvidia 580. CPU is overclocked to 3.8GHz.

Ripping Avatar to my iphone 4 only uses 10-12% CPU, and 8-10% GPU (Single Pass, 1878Mb/s) done with the first 18% of the movie, and it's encoding at approximately 60fps.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Motley; 12-04-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Hey Motley

Yea, I have a meager nVidia GT 240 with 1gig DDR3 and it's not over-clocked...I get about 45fps average...starts out at about 55 and then drops some.

Could I tweak any to cut down on system resources so I can multi-task? LOL, bought this system just under a year ago and I though I'd never see the day I would have multi-tasking issues

Comment

Sure, turn on hardware encoding. I doubt that dvdfab will use all of it, and it'll drop your CPU usage to 10-12%. I play games while I'm encoding even, and don't have any issues at all.

Comment

Is hardware encoding w/in DVDFab or nVidia Control panel? Because in DVDFab Common Settings under A/V Coded for "Encoding" is Software or Software + CUDA and it's selected to Software + CUDA. For Decoding all of them are selected to Software would it help to set all of teh Decoders H.264 etc. to CUDA?

Thanks.

Comment

That is what I have set.

Video Decoder for H.264, VC1, and MPEG2 all set to use CUDA.

Video Encoder for H.264 is set to Software + CUDA.

And on that page, this is what the Codec Information says:
              Graphics Chipset :
              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

CUDA Driver Version: 3.20
              CUDA Capability revision number: 2.0

Supported Video Codecs :
              CUDA_MODE_H264
              CUDA_MODE_VC1
              CUDA_MODE_MPEG2
              DXVA_MODE_H264
              DXVA_MODE_VC1
              DXVA_MODE_MPEG2

CoreAVC : cannot be detected.

Comment

Okay, only difference in me is my decoder for all was software so I changed them all to CUDA...think that will aid/help in a BD RIP to MKV?

My video specs:

Graphics Chipset :
                NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

CUDA Driver Version: 3.20
                CUDA Capability revision number: 1.2

Supported Video Codecs :
                CUDA_MODE_H264
                CUDA_MODE_VC1
                CUDA_MODE_MPEG2
                DXVA_MODE_H264
                DXVA_MODE_VC1
                DXVA_MODE_MPEG2

CoreAVC : cannot be detected.

Comment

Quite possibly. Even with CUDA set for both decode and encode on my 580, dvdFab still doesn't use more than 9-10% of my card, so I would suspect that it wouldn't use all of your 240 either, freeing your CPU for other tasks. If I am not mistaken (which I might be), I didn't think the video cards actually use the shaders or anything for video decoding, it's actually handed off to a specialized chip, so moving the decode to your video card may not add any (or much) extra strain on it. If dvdFab is coded well, it may even lower the stress, as the decoded frame should already be on the card itself rather than having to transfer it from CPU to GPU for encoding. But you would have to ask them about that, that's just a possibility.

Comment

Open Fabs common setings and UNtick 'enable Turbo CPU' and see if that helps with multitasking problems.
                    I don't think it's ever recommended to multitask during conversions but won't hurt to try.

btw the setting is under 'convert' in the left panel after you open common settings
                    Last edited by W&B; 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

The general strategy in DVDFab is to provide conversion speed since that is a user priority, not to allow multitasking, although using the GPU for available tasks will generally allow plenty of CPU for other jobs. To further reduce CPU load by DVDFab, try UNchecking the Enable "Turbo CPU" box and resetting the "Memory amount used for converting" dropdown from "Auto" to Normal or Low. These controls are in Common Settings->DVD/Blu-ray Ripper->Convert.

W&B was reading my mind.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I wondered about the "enable Turbo CPU" setting too...I'll try that.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                          W&B was reading my mind.
                          I was reading your mind LOL but something messed up the reception when it came to the advice on the ram setting

Comment

Hmm... Sorry, I just looked up the Nvidia 240. It's possible dvdfab is using it to it's fullest potential. You might try the above settings and see if they help.

Prior to my 580, I was using a 8800Gtx which has more cuda cores and more memory bandwidth than the 240. The CPU was able to encode faster than I could using the video card, but using the video card allowed me to continue to play games (or whatever) while I was encoding, so I typically opted for that route instead. Based on that, I would suspect the 240 would encode much slower using your video card than CPU, but you might be able to continue to use your computer to do other things while encoding if you go the video card (CUDA) route.
                            Code:
                            Card      /Core/ CCLK / SCLK / MCLK /  MW / Memory Bandwidth
                            580 SC    / 512 / 797 / 1594 / 2025 / 384 / 195 (estimate)
                            580       / 512 / 772 / 1544 / 2004 / 384 / 192.4
                            8800GTX   / 128 / 575 / 1350 /  900 / 384 / 86.4
                            240GT     /  96 / 550 / 1340 /  900 / 128 / 54.4
                            Core = # of CUDA Cores
                            CCLK = Core Clock (Graphics Clock)
                            SCLK = Shader Clock (Processor Clock)
                            MCLK = Memory Clock
                            MW = Memory Width (in bits)

Comment

Me thinks it's time for a new video card Thanks Motley!

Comment

Working...
                              X