Forced Subtitles don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Forced Subtitles don't work

I'm trying to convert a DVD image (made with DVDfab copy) into a media file with forced subtitles to play on my media player (Topfield). The dvd image is a complete iso copy.

Problem is I get video and audio but no subs. Although I only get audio with 8.0.5.0.. the later betas and current 8056 version either play twice as fast or no sound at all.....

I was able to get subtitles to show when using dvdfab7 and mkv (although there was a syncing issue..) a long time ago... but since then I've upgraded to Ver8 I can't get it to work at all.

My media player seems to play most of the popular formats, avi,divx,mkv,vob, mp4 etc. Is there a preference as to which one to use?

I've also tried subs direct render to video, extract to idx/sub file. I've tried using both cuda, and software encoding decoding - and and tried these combinations with avi,divx,mkv etc - wasting a lot of time.

I've spent over $150 registering this software and at my wits end!

Are there any files or logs I can post to assist?
    Regards,
    Squib
    ---------------
    DVDFab 8.0.7.3

Hi squibcakes
    I do some testing with forced subtitle in DVD Ripper,and works well with Avatar.Plwase tell me the source name,and list the internal log recently.
    thanks a lot.
    Last edited by qbs.cn; 12-06-2010, 02:43 AM.

Comment

What copy mode did you use to make the image? If you play the image in a software player like PowerDVD or Total Media Theater, do the subs display correctly?
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for your feeback...

Originally posted by qbs.cn View Post
        Hi squibcakes
        I do some testing with forced subtitle in DVD Ripper,and works well with Avatar.Plwase tell me the source name,and list the internal log recently.
        thanks a lot.
        Source name is A-Team DVD.

Code:
        12m 16.90s: detected dvd
        12m 16.90s: iso C:\Users\jmstclare\Desktop\New folder\A_TEAM.iso
        12m 16.90s: dvd type 1
        12m 16.90s: volume label A_TEAM
        12m 16.91s: got copyright 0 0
        12m 16.91s: got udf/iso
        12m 16.93s: got discinfo
        12m 16.93s: pathplayer enabled
        12m 17.08s: got dvdinfo
        12m 42.44s: 

------  begin mobile work(1/1)  ------

12m 42.45s: create config(0)
        12m 42.45s: convert profile(generic.avi.h264.audiocopy)
        12m 42.45s: dvd title(1) angle(0) chapter(1->1)
        12m 42.45s: stream(480,2,1) stream(128,86019,0) stream(40,94208,4) 
        12m 49.56s: subpicture preset(1), mode(0)
        12m 50.63s: h264_encode: encode param profile(1) level(30) bitrate(1096)
        12m 54.70s: subpicture(40) mode(0)
        12m 54.70s: connect to sub render filter
        15m 16.39s: 

------  finish mobile work  ------

What copy mode did you use to make the image? If you play the image in a software player like PowerDVD or Total Media Theater, do the subs display correctly?
        I used the Full disc mode to copy. If I mount the iso and playback with windows media player I can select and display any of the subtitles - and more importantly the forced subtitles display automatically. However if I try and playthe Ripped DVD-> AVI file, I can't get any subtitles to display even in Windows media player.

When ripping and converting to avi file (for testing and to save time) I am just ripping the first chapter, as the first scene has men speaking in Spanish and the English translation should be shown up in forced mode.

There are three english subtitle streams, Normal Captions, Directors comments and Normal. I've tried all of them separtely. Still no joy.

I also try ripping directly from another non copyied purchased DVD (Sahara) and can't get any Subtitles to work either.

Many thanks for looking into this for me.

Rgds.

DVDfAB 8.0.5.0
        Last edited by squibcakes; 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM.
        Regards,
        Squib
        ---------------
        DVDFab 8.0.7.3

Comment

I have tested the profile you are using with Angels&Demons and Avatar, from folder and ISO sources and it works perfectly. Since the disc you are using will not be released in the US for almost two weeks, there is no way to verify the performance with your source material. I suggest you try it from the original disc and not an ISO and perhaps look at the sub streams with DVDSubEdit to verify that the forced subs are genuine. DVDFab works as it should with normal source content.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi Signals,

Thanks for doing checks for me.... I run DVDsubedit and confirm that the subtitles are in the iso image....

As last effort - I unistall completely DVDFAB 8.0.5.0 reboot and install 8.0.5.6 and re-try with iso image and presto!! I had forced subtitles showing - but video was twice as fast and out of sinc with audio.

I then again unistall completey DVDFAB, reboot and install again version 8.0.5.0 and retry again using ISO image. Now everything is ok on simple test.

Anyway - it still appears that there is some issue with double frame rate when encoding avi from DVD with the 8.0.5.6.
            Regards,
            Squib
            ---------------
            DVDFab 8.0.7.3

Comment

Just to add a small correction.... when coding generic avi's...

If I tick the forced subtitles option (and select only one subtitle stream - the one that should be forced..) there is no subtitle rendered to the video...

However, if I don't check the forced subtitle option - while selecting the subtitle stream - it does render to video. So this seems a bit backward...??

I also have another issue - or perhaps request - is it possible render subtitles (again forced...) to a VOB rip?

Cheers
              Squib
              Regards,
              Squib
              ---------------
              DVDFab 8.0.7.3

Comment

Also another feature issue in regards to subtitles...

If autocrop is used and rendering subtitles to an avi video - the rendered subtitles are cropped off the bottom of the screen!!
                Regards,
                Squib
                ---------------
                DVDFab 8.0.7.3

Comment

You need to know the source you ripping well.

Some titles do not use the "forced sub-titles feature". Example, English language with occasional foreign language displaying subtitles. Selecting no subtitles on a blu-ray player, actually selects a subtitle option that is largely silent (no subtitles to display) throughout the movie except for portions when a foreign language is spoken.

In this case, Forced sub-titles = off, select the correct subtitle option and direct render to video.

Comment

Working...
                  X