Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(8.0.5.6) Stutter / Jurkiness present (less severe than 8.0.5.3) in .mp4 conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper (8.0.5.6) Stutter / Jurkiness present (less severe than 8.0.5.3) in .mp4 conversions

All:

The MP4 Stutter / Jerkiness is still present in 8.0.5.6; however, the severity of the issue appears to have been reduced from 8.0.5.3. Hopefully, there were MP4 optimizations that took place between these releases that could act as a starting point for debugging & fully eliminating the issue.

As before I am using the included Playstation 3 profile with all defaults.

Attached is my log.
    Attached Files

I hear ya!

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" just looks TERRIBLE. Doesn't matter if I use the xbox, xvid, divx, etc defaults, all end up with that disgusting comb effect. I've had to go back to 6.2.1.8 to rip my TV shows.

Please please please fix this!

Comment

I get the same problem

I am using dvdfab version 8.0.6.5 and get the same problem. If I use ps3, or generic, and convert to a mp4 file I get jutter or stutter in the video playback. I've had this on multiple dvd's including toy story 3 and the vampires assistant.

These problems do not occur if I do a simple vob passthru.

Comment

I popped back here after the email for 8.0.8.5. I truly hoped the jerky mp4 video had been fixed but it's still a very similar story. All versions of 8 have been unusable for me due to jerky video using mp4 profiles either as default or otherwise. It is also 40% slower than version 7. I'll come back in a few version's time.

Comment

I just did RED using the PS3 profile and watched it from a USB thumb drive on the PS3, perfect start to finish. 1800 bit rate, one pass. I can’t reproduce your problem.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

I have had the jerky video since 8.x

Currently, my method (pretty shitty to have a 'method' for using a paid for software) is to RIP the DVD to the HDD using the most current version of fab, get 4 or 5 on the HDD, then use 7.0.9.3 to convert to mp4.

My settings for optimal mp4 are:
            bitrate = .3 bits / pixel
            audio = AAC (128kbps)
            1 pass
            framerate = same as source

This produces a very nice picture, and great audio quality on my HTPC (Mac Mini - iTunes), and works on my WDTV very well.

If I use those same settings on ANY version after 7.0.9.3, I get jerky video.

The software dev team did SOMETHING to the code, and apparently cannot figure it out.

I went back and forth with them via email for 2 months, and I think they just gave up. Their 'solution' for me was to use VLC player. Guess what guys, not an option in iTunes or on my WDTV box.

How about you figure out whats actually wrong with the software, and FIX it?

Comment

I need the .exe for either version 7.0.8.0 or 6.2.1.8.

8.x is a nightmare - completely 100% unusable.

I ripped 1 movie 3 times with 6.2.1.8, 7.0.8.0, and 8.0.8.5.

I could not tell the difference between 6.2.1.8 and 7.0.8.0.

8.0.8.5 was unwatchable - jerky, grainly, blocks, stuttery, you name it.
              Even the image capture for itunes is a complete mess.

Fortunately DVDfab does not remove the old DVDfab when it installs a major update (6->7->8) so I have a working DVDfab (8.x is not working).

However, if I ever upgrade this system I am on or HDD goes out I am lost. Where do I download old versions of this software. The latest versions are unusable.

And no, I am not providing any setting info. I use default settings. Either it works or it does not work. Compare 6.2.1.8 with 8.0.8.5 for yourself - the difference is NIGHT and DAY.

Comment

If you are using profiles that you set 'as default' in v7, then that is the problem. I have no problems on my iPhone4 with anything I have made with v8 from DVD or Blu-ray.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

The iPod mp4 in 8.0.8.5 is just unwatchable signals, the AVC profiles are fine. 8.0.8.6QT seems to have fixed the problem though. So if you have an iPod try 8.0.8.6QT should work ok.
                  How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                    If you are using profiles that you set 'as default' in v7, then that is the problem. I have no problems on my iPhone4 with anything I have made with v8 from DVD or Blu-ray.
                    Can you please explain this? I've come back and installed the latest QT version to see how things are and I still have jerky video on an mp4 rip. I did not transfer any profiles across, I modified one of the mp4 profiles in v8 so I'm not sure what I should be doing to ensure I am not using default profiles.

As before, going back to 7.0.9.3 produces excellent results. I'm now really frustrated. How do I upgrade? Please explain.

Comment

I get a jerky/stutter in my mp4 rips as well. I found that this usually has to do with the number ref frames that x264 uses. You can try editing the profile to use a different preset. I've had luck with using <x264 preset="x264_dp_PD-iPad-1080p.preset" />. You'll want to make a copy of your changes as you will need to change this each time you update Fab. Hope this helps.

Comment

Just to confirm I'm also seeing this. Any response from the DVDFab guys? My preference is to rip to MP4 at maximum quality 1080p but unfortunately this just isn't happening at the moment. Same result regardless of input type, stream , coreavc on off etc.

Comment

If you are using an older version of DVDFab, please update it. I have made about 40 conversions to MP4/M4V from DVD and Blu-ray using versions after 8085 (i.e. Qt Betas and 8092 Official) and I can't duplicate this problem when played back on Blackberry Storm, iPhone4 native screen and 32" TV via component video cable, or on PC with VLC media player and Quicktime player. Almost all conversions look jerky when played back on a Motorola Droid/DroidX. Please try some other playback devices or methods and post the results, along with the internal log files that relate to the conversion (you can edit the internal log with Notepad).
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

My latest logs for stuttering MP4 - 8.0.9.0

Just attached some logs.

I could try disabling Stream as haven't tried that on 8.0.9.0 yet, or upgrde to 8.0.9.2 though release notes don't indicate it will help. Will wait on advise.

Cheers

Playback PC for the 1080p MP4 output is Phenom X6 2.8GHz with ATI 6950 (Cat 11.5). Tried WMP12 and Arcsoft TMT5. No issue with native Blu-Ray playback of course.

MP4 conversions to iPAD and Windows Phone 7 resolution (800x480 or closest to) have been fine in the past. Trying one now with 8.0.9.0 to see if still ok. Only seems to be the full bitrate/resolution causing the problem.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by fishyuk; 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

As tou have already thought of, try it with that ATI Stream crap disabled...
                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                              X