CUDA and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper CUDA and you

Hi! I've been playing around with misc software to rip and encode video for a week or so now and gave DVDFab a try today for the first time. Gotta say it's the nicest looking/laid-out software I've tried yet! Anyway, let me cut to the chase:

My system(s):
    Win7 Pro x64
    Core2 Duo E6550
    Nvida 8800GTS 640mb (8.17.12.6099)
    New install of DVDFab 8.0.6.1 (all default settings/trial)

Win7 Home Prem x64
    Core i7 Q720
    Nvida GT330M (8.17.12.5896)
    New install of DVDFab 8.0.6.1 (all default settings/trial)

The goal:
    Rip commercial DVD and encode with h.264 into an MP4 using the "generic.mp4.h264.aac" profile and de-selecting subtitles (subpicture?)

The problem:
    It seems like there is an issue with the new(er) CUDA feature. Both systems try to use CUDA per the default settings but about 13 seconds after the process starts Windows will pop an alert saying the program needs to be closed.

The solution:
    Still working on this one but I can get DVDFab to work fine on either machine if I choose "Software" under "General > A/V Codec" for the h.264 encoder. I had read somewhere that newer Nvida chips will also work with DXVA (which sadly isn't available on the 8800GTS 320/640) so will try that next on the second system. I'll report back any more findings on this one!

What kind of experience has everyone been having with the CUDA so far? I think it's a fantastic feature if it can be ironed out.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Backslash; 12-21-2010, 05:58 AM. Reason: Update info

It works well for most users, particularly with some of the high-core newer cards. Make sure you have the latest driver from nvidia before you do much testing. With a quad i7 I think you will find that setting to all software is almost as fast (or faster) than using the GPU (but make sure you have plenty of airflow).

See the difference this user reported with one of the 400 series Fermi cards: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=10487
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

h264

Don't anyone get offended by my simple query, but I keep reading about "h.264" as it relates to the "Lightning Recoding" feature in version 8.0.6.1 and I'm not quite sure what that is. For example, someone wrote:

"Rip commercial DVD and encode with h.264 into an MP4 using the "generic.mp4.h264.aac" profile..."

What does all that mean, and is this something worth exploring?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bearlight View Post
        Don't anyone get offended by my simple query, but I keep reading about "h.264" as it relates to the "Lightning Recoding" feature in version 8.0.6.1 and I'm not quite sure what that is. For example, someone wrote:

"Rip commercial DVD and encode with h.264 into an MP4 using the "generic.mp4.h264.aac" profile..."

Thanks.
        Its video geek talk. Its only worth exploring if u really gotta know.

Comment

Thanks.
          bearlight,
          h.264 is a codec, or a piece of software that COding and DECoding your video content. There are other codecs out there (e.g. DivX, VC-1, etc.), but h.264 seems were found by a community being most efficient, accurate and flexible. Everything else you can find in WiKi
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Alright, update time! Thanks for the info signals, really appreciate it! So I updated the i7 system to the latest version of the Nvidia drivers and BAM, back in business! I played with some settings after discovering everything was in working order and found that CUDA is not enabled for 2-pass encoding. Anyone know something about why that might be?

P.S. Those numbers for the 400 series cards are incredible! Oh, the day when it'll be system upgrade time...

Comment

I'd be happy if CUDA worked for MPEG2 decoding. It doesn't in the latest version (8.0.6.1) with the latest NVidia drivers (260.99) on WinXP Home 32bit with an EVGA GTX 275. The H.264 encoding with CUDA works in the same (indeed, all) versions, but not the MPEG2 decoding.

Considering that only a percentage of people will convert to H.264, but -everyone- decodes MPEG2 if they're ripping DVDs, this is just plain backwards as to what came first and what does and doesn't work.

As for using CUDA, unless you have a -really- high-end video card (higher than a GTX 275), you're probably going to be disappointed. I've used CUDA for H.264 encoding, and it really performed only about as well as my E8400 main CPU. They were about equivalent. Your i7 is several times more powerful than the E8400 (which is no slouch itself), so I would actually expect CUDA to be a step downwards for you in terms of performance uneless you have the absolute top of the line video card for CUDA work.

Comment

h.264

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                bearlight,
                h.264 is a codec, or a piece of software that COding and DECoding your video content. There are other codecs out there (e.g. DivX, VC-1, etc.), but h.264 seems were found by a community being most efficient, accurate and flexible. Everything else you can find in WiKi
                Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I gather from other replies to my query that this h.264 codec is included in DVDFab, and that's it's not something I need to tackle because I've been doing quite well with version 8.0.5.0 and ImgBurn.

Actually, is updating to version 8.0.6.1 worth it at this time? What I mean is why not wait until members stop having problems after a couple more updates?

Thanks.

Comment

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I gather from other replies to my query that this h.264 codec is included in DVDFab, and that's it's not something I need to tackle because I've been doing quite well with version 8.0.5.0 and ImgBurn.
                  Well, "this h.264 codec" included not only in DVDFab, but in every other transcoding program.
                  Actually, is updating to version 8.0.6.1 worth it at this time? What I mean is why not wait until members stop having problems after a couple more updates?
                  Ha ha ha, you are funny. Members will never stop having problems!!!
                  Yes, you should update. When updating, along with bugs you also getting a good stuff, particularly keys for new protection.
                  sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                  For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                  For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                  Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
                  X