after many tries, I finally found a simple solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper after many tries, I finally found a simple solution

I have been trying to get decent quality rips of my movies. I'm ripping them to a 1tb hd and then using the Argosy Media Player for playback on my 30" Samsung 720p tv (for only being 720p, it's got an amazing picture).

I really didn't think that much about quality while ripping all 10 seasons of Friends. Each complete season takes up about 4g in space - not bad and the picture quality is pretty decent (I used another program to do this - it was before I was introduced to dvdfab).

However, when I started ripping the Pixar movies, I just HAD to have that perfect picture quality that they're known for, especially in movies like Finding Nemo. After several attempts, I came to this conclusion:

Using the DVD Ripper, I used the General settings, selected the main movie only and the only the thing I adjusted was the "Fixed File Size" on the conversion settings - for all Pixar movies, I changed them to about 2000mb. Doing this one thing made a world of difference in picture quality - it looks exactly like the dvd. In fact, my teenage son came through the living room while I was watching Toy Story 1 and had to ask if it was the dvd or the media player!

Yes, the ripping process takes longer when you set the file size this large, but the end result is worth it, in my opinion, and it's much simpler than worrying about all the other settings.

Just thought I'd pass on my findings!

Good that you have found that the flexibility of DVDFab lets you get the quality you wanted. You can accomplish the same thing selecting fixed bitrate and setting the bitrate slider so that the bits/pixel column reads .3-.5. The output files will be about the same size, possibly slightly smaller.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I know you posted your reply quite awhile ago, but I just tried your suggestion and the file size came out considerably smaller and the quality of the video was just as good, if not better. It took 4 hours to do Toy Story 2, but I'm 100% satisfied with the results.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X