Subpicture and Force Subpicture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Subpicture and Force Subpicture

When using DVD ripper, if I select under Subpicture "English" and I also select "Display only forced subpicture", what is actually displayed?

I'm assuming there may be times there are subpictures even when the audio is in English. The forced subpicture in the help notes only about foreign language with forced subpicture.

I only want to see the subpicture if they are normally part of the movie. Do I check both options?

Thanks

SRM

I would love to know the answer to this as well. I have been struggling with this for about a year.

Comment

The reason that you are struggling with it is because of the inconsistent authoring by studios of DVD's.

Some DVD's have the forced subs held in the english subs and in that case, ticking both boxes works.

Other DVD's have the forced subs held separately and you actually have to identify which sub stream to use.

The only guarantee of the studios using a standard is that there is none.

If you really wish to analyse the subs, free software such as DVDSubEdit is freely available.

Originally posted by xrayengineer View Post
      I would love to know the answer to this as well. I have been struggling with this for about a year.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by srm View Post
        When using DVD ripper, if I select under Subpicture "English" and I also select "Display only forced subpicture", what is actually displayed?
        If there are no forced subs in the stream you selected, no subs at all will be displayed.

I'm assuming there may be times there are subpictures even when the audio is in English. The forced subpicture in the help notes only about foreign language with forced subpicture.

I only want to see the subpicture if they are normally part of the movie. Do I check both options?
        To see the ones that you would see in a theater, select the stream that contains them and check Display only forced (if they are actually forced). You can find out which stream they are located in using the DVDFab preview window, or better as GregiBoy suggested, get to know DVDSubEdit, which can make them forced or unforced, change the color and position, etc.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand it may vary based on DVD, but it seems a good rule of thumb sounds like check both Subpictures and forced subpictures. The force seems to override the Subpicture check (at least during my tests). Only where the subpictures should of appeared did they appear. All the other subpictures were suppressed.

Comment

Working...
          X