Confusion re Forced subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Confusion re Forced subtitles

I am converting a standard DVD to avi using profile generic.avi.divx.audiocopy standard settings.

I want to burn only forced subtitles "direct render to video". I don't know if the DVD has any forced subtitles or not, as I have not watched it - I will be watching it on my PMP while away on holidays, and I want to be sure that if there are any forced subtitles, the avi will have them.

The DVD has two English subtitle tracks listed. From previewing them, the first is a standard subtitle track for non-english speakers, the second is dialog plus descriptions such as [thunder in the background]. If I select either of these tracks, plus ticking the "Display only forced subpicture", I still get the entire selected subtitle track burned into the video, not just forced subtitles. I had assumed that ticking the "forced only" box would prevent this from happening - i.e. ignore the subtitles unless they were "forced".

From searching posts on this forum, it seems that to burn "forced subtitles" you have to select the language stream that contains the forced subtitles.

Does this mean that forced subtitles always have their own dedicated track?

I assumed that a subtitle track might contain both forced and unforced subtitles, and that ticking the "forced only" box, would tell DVDFab to only burn the forced ones. My experience above seems to contradict this.

If forced subtitles always have their own track, what is the point of the "forced only" box? If you select a "Non-forced" subtitle track, and ticking the "forced only" box does not stop the non-forced subtitles from being displayed, what does the "forced only" box actually do?

If testing out all the available subtitle tracks in preview mode by selecting them one by one, with the "forced only" box ticked always results in non-forced subtitles being displayed, can I be confident that this means that there are NO forced subtitles?

I am using DVDFab 8.0.2.2 (01/10/2010) in trial mode. I run Windows 7 64. I love DVDFab8 and fully intend to purchase it, but I really want to be sure that I can get this "forced subtitles" business working properly. Lots of the DVDs that I watch have them and it is extremely frustrating to have to watch a movie with either subtitles on all the time when you don't need them, or long sections of a foreign language with no subtitles, and missing crucial elements of what is going on in the plot (some movies actually have plots!!!)

Thank you for your reply. However, the reason that I am converting to AVI is that I am going away on holidays, and I am taking some avi files with me to watch while I am travelling. It kind of defeats the point to watch the DVD before I go away to check if there are any forced subtitles.

I suppose I am asking, first if I am doing anything wrong in the process set out in my original post. And second, if I'm not doing anything wrong - is there any way of being sure if there are any forced subtitles other than watching the whole movie?

Comment

If you want to see if there are forced subs without watching the movie, download the free application DVDSubEdit. If you write the DVD folder to your hard drive (to a VIDEO_TS folder) with DVDFab, you can scan them for forced subs with DVDSubEDit without watching them. It only takes a few minutes to scan an entire movie. Then make the AVIs from the folder on your hard drive for much faster conversions.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have downloaded DVDSubEdit and played around with it for a while. However, I can't see how to get it to work w.r.t. forced subtitles. I have burned a DVD which I know has forced subtitles to hard disk, then looked at each VOB file in DVDSubEdit. DVDSubEdit shows all the various subtitles, and has a tick box for "only show forced subpics". However, whenever I tick "Only show forced subpics" the preview screen goes totally greyed out, and no picture or subtitles are displayed at all.

I have read the help document, and I can't find any information about how to identify forced subtitles. Can you help me with this?

Comment

You do NOT inspect the individual VOB's, you inspect the structure which is contained in the IFO's.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
          X