Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Display Aspect Ratio Different than Original

Hello,
    I just started to re-rip my videos to mkv format using the latest version of fab (8076). I rip main movie and stream to my media players straight from my NAS. I noticed that the videos which used to display in 16/9 format (when they were vob files) are now displaying in a 4/3 or 3/2 format (now in mkv). I am using mkv.remux - not interested in re-rendering - just straight passthough as I did with the vobs.
    After fiddling around, I could not find a setting either on the TV, media player or within Fab that was causing this. Upon further investigation, I looked at the files using mediainfo and noticed that the "Display aspect ratio" is being set differently than that of the "Original display aspect ratio". In the attached, the display aspect ratio was set to 3/2 and the original aspect ratio was 16/9. For the life of me, I have no idea how this was set, nor how I can control that in Fab. I've been using Fab for several years and haven't run into this before with the other formats. Just started with my mkv "experience" so don't know if this is something with the latest beta or always been there. This is only an issue with DVD and not BD rips.
    I want the display aspect ratio to be the SAME as the orginal. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tjkaz; 03-01-2011, 05:20 AM.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz | Radeon HD 4670 | Win7 Pro x64 | 8 GB | Synology DS211j 5TB | Wired GbE | 2x WDTV Live + |

720x480 (the standard for NTSC DVDs) is 3:2 (1.5:1). This is not the decoded aspect ratio. How do the videos look when you play them back?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I was getting a similar problem with StarWars - Original DVD played back as widescreen but when using the MKV remux option the end file was at a ratio of 5:4 so everything was squashed up and could not be watched on anything.

Using any of the other MKV proviles provided a perfect ratio - only when using the remux profile did it all go wrong.

This has been reported months ago by others - we are all still waiting for it to be fixed.

Fingers crossed it is soon :-)

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        720x480 (the standard for NTSC DVDs) is 3:2 (1.5:1). This is not the decoded aspect ratio. How do the videos look when you play them back?
        They look squashed as the poster above states. I've even found that the video portion won't even play on my PC using media player classic - only audio. When this first started to happen I thought I was going nuts and not checking the video track in Fab. When I went into the file using mkvmerge and changed the "display aspect ratio" to match the "original aspect ratio" they displayed just fine. Also, and similar to the above poster, when I use vob passthrough the display ratio is as it should be. I wouldn't mind just using the vob passthrough, but for some reason the movie time length either doesn't get included or is not read properly. Seems to work perfectly with MKV's which is one reason I'd like to do all my movies in MKV.
        I understand the ratio of 720x480 but many dvd's offer widescreen display format. Heck, if you play the dvd version of Monsters Inc it's display ratio format is 2.35:1.
        For now I'll fix them with MKVmerge, but this sounds like an issue as the poster above states.
        Thank you.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz | Radeon HD 4670 | Win7 Pro x64 | 8 GB | Synology DS211j 5TB | Wired GbE | 2x WDTV Live + |

Comment

Even widescreen DVD content is encoded 720x480. There may be something wrong with the mkv remux settings that are hard coded in DVDFab, but I never use it, so I haven't noticed. All these files should be playable with VLC using the aspect ratio controls to trick the decoder, but it should not be necessary.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Even widescreen DVD content is encoded 720x480. There may be something wrong with the mkv remux settings that are hard coded in DVDFab, but I never use it, so I haven't noticed. All these files should be playable with VLC using the aspect ratio controls to trick the decoder, but it should not be necessary.
            Thanks Signals. Yes, there's something wrong with the mkv.remux settings. As you state, you shouldn't have to trick the decoder to play the file a certain way - should just play in the format that it was intended. The other profiles I've used don't seem to have this issue; whether it be another passthrough or re-renderer.

I'll continue to fix using mkvmerge, but what a pain!

Comment

hi,

Thanks report the problem, I have fixed it yet.

Please try the next beta version.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by ting View Post
                hi,

Thanks again.
                Thanks Ting!
                Look forward to trying in the next beta release.

Comment

hi,

Thanks again.
                  Ting,
                  Why you're at it, please take a look at the attached. Similarly, the mkv.remux profile is not passing through the same frame rate as the original. In the attached example, the original frame rate was 29.970 and frame rate that the mkv plays back was 23.976.
                  Had to fix this with mkvmerge just like the previous posted issues. Also note that this issue does not occur when selecting vob passthrough.
                  Thanks again,
                  Tom
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tjkaz; 03-05-2011, 02:31 AM. Reason: add attachment

Comment

8078 Display Aspect Ratio Fixed - Display Frame Rate Issue Remains

hi,

Thanks again.
                    Ting,
                    Confirmed that display aspect ratio issue fixed with beta 8078. However, the display Frame Rate issue is still there.
                    Please see attached.
                    Thank you!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tjkaz; 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X