Optimum Blu-Ray rip to PS3 method/settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Optimum Blu-Ray rip to PS3 method/settings

I feel bad for starting another thread for what I am sure has been posted and asked before, but I've spent two days searching this forum looking for the best way to rip my Blu-Ray movies to a NAS (Network Storage). I have over 4 TB of storage available and would like the files to be as close to loss-less as possible.

I've read about VOB passthrough, but understand that is only for DVD's. I've read some threads about making MKV copies and then converting them into other files types. But I guess I'm just not understanding the steps or complete process.

So far I've used the Blu-Ray Ripper and PS3 option, and the files seem to look and sound fine. But it concerns me the end file is only 3-6 GB in size (depending on the movie). I am having difficulty believing this is the best copy because of the small file size.

Would someone be so kind to walk me through what they feel is the BEST ripping/copying process for BD movies? My storage is not FAT32 formatted, so any files size is fine. It just needs to play on the PS3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

p.s. Once I find the best process, I plan to create a document or thread (with screen prints) showing how others in my same boat can do the same.

I don't stream content so I'll let someone else talk about that, but I will recommend that you not use NAS as a Target for DVDFab. Write the files to a local drive, then transfer to NAS.

If you want the exact quality of the original, use VOB Passthrough for DVDs or mkv remux for Blu-ray. Perception of quality is subjective, so use one of the many ways DVDFab can compress DVDs and particularly Blu-rays (BD9, BD5, many others in BD Ripper) and try them all.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      I don't stream content so I'll let someone else talk about that, but I will recommend that you not use NAS as a Target for DVDFab. Write the files to a local drive, then transfer to NAS.
      Thanks for the heads up. I will begin ripping to my local and then transfer as you suggested.

Originally posted by signals View Post
      If you want the exact quality of the original, use VOB Passthrough for DVDs or mkv remux for Blu-ray. Perception of quality is subjective, so use one of the many ways DVDFab can compress DVDs and particularly Blu-rays (BD9, BD5, many others in BD Ripper) and try them all.
      I thought the PS3 option under Blu-Ray ripping looked pretty good and sounded fine, but I have not watched anything with great detail yet on my big screen (110" screen and HD projector). I've been viewing everything so far on my second screen in the theater which is just a 22-inch 1080p HDTV.

If I rip the BD movie using the "Blu-Ray ripper to MKV" option, do I need to do anything after that to have a file that is easily played on the PS3?

Comment

Interesting note for anyone else reading this. When I changed my target folder to my local hard drive instead of my NAS, I was given the choices for the MKV remux (under the profile dropdown). Thanks to signals for the suggestion!

I'm ripping a copy of a BD movie and will watch the result on the big screen to see how it looks and sounds.

Comment

That screen should show you all the warts. I don't have a PS3 so I can't help you with that, but the forum has many PS3 users who I'm sure can give you some tips.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I use the PS3 as my primary viewing device. It is a pretty good upscaler for VOB Passthrough (DVD) content but has many limitations. It does not play MKV files natively. You may find useful information here:

Blu-ray to MKV

Comment

Thanks. For some reason once I changed the target location for the rip of the BD movie to my local HDD instead of my NAS, I was able to select the MKV option with the remux profile. That has given me file sizes of around 20-30GB and everything but DTS audio. I'm happy with the output video and audio.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Comment

Ok, I think I finally have a good grasp on what it takes to rip my Blu-Ray movies and stream them from my Network Storage to my PS3. In case anyone else is curious, here is a "how-to".

ASSUMPTIONS
                • You are Ripping Blu-Ray movies and have a Blu-Ray drive on your computer.
                • You are streaming your ripped movies using your PS3 and you have previously set up your home network and connected your storage device to your PS3.
                • You ware wanting a loss-less version of your Blu-Ray movie.

What you need:

Steps to Follow:
                1. Install both software programs.
                2. Open DVDFab and navigate to Blu-Ray Ripper.
                3. Insert your Blu-Ray movie into your Blu-Ray drive.
                4. Select Blu-Ray Ripper to MKV.
                5. Under profile, select "mkv.remux".

(The next steps are what I personally felt works best for me. Other may find different options work for them.)
                  • Rip the Blu-Ray MKV file to your local hard drive, not to a network storage device or external hard drive.
                  • Using the Edit button near the profile, make sure all the options show "pass-through" as their setting.
                6. Click Start. Your movie will be ripped to your local hard drive.
                  Once the movie has finished being ripped, you can close DVDfab.

Use mkv2vob software to update audio and repackage for PS3. mkz2vob will soon create a file in your desired folder location that can be streamed to your PS3 with near loss-less quality.

I hope this helped anyone with questions!!
                Last edited by Complication; 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM. Reason: removed photobucket images and general policy violations

Comment

Images were removed because the URL gave away personal information. Links and instructions for mkv2vob removed because they are a forum policy violation. The DVDFab forums are not a place to discuss how to use such software. Mentions of them are acceptable provided they are not competiting software products.

As far as the content of your guide, you have left out an important problem. Blu-Ray discs also use VC-1 video encoding which the PS3 will not decode from a file (Sony decided you don't need this). When you are selecting the video title to rip and it indicates VC-1 encoding then you will need to use the MKV.H264.audiocopy profile instead of remux and set the bitrate above 10000. This will not be lossless but is required due to the PS3 limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                    Images were removed because the URL gave away personal information. Links and instructions for mkv2vob removed because they are a forum policy violation. The DVDFab forums are not a place to discuss how to use such software. Mentions of them are acceptable provided they are not competiting software products.
                    I am terribly sorry for the violations. It was not my intent to break forum rules. I made these posts since I had spent several hours searching this forum trying to find a step-by-step method to use my DVDFab software for the purpose of streaming loss-less Blu-Ray movies to my PS3 from my NAS. When I saw mentions of mkv2vob in other threads, I thought it was a profile or setting in DVDfab, not another download or step after DVDFab. So I wasted a lot of time ripping and trying different settings instead of using other software.

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                    As far as the content of your guide, you have left out an important problem. Blu-Ray discs also use VC-1 video encoding which the PS3 will not decode from a file (Sony decided you don't need this). When you are selecting the video title to rip and it indicates VC-1 encoding then you will need to use the MKV.H264.audiocopy profile instead of remux and set the bitrate above 10000. This will not be lossless but is required due to the PS3 limitations.
                    During my limited use of DVDfab so far, I don't believe I have encountered VC-1 so I made no mention of it.

Sorry again for breaking forum rules, my intent was simply to give back to a community that has helped me reach my goals.

Comment

Maybe the removed instructions for mk2vob affected my conversion, but what was left of the original post did not work for me. I copied the coverted file from my HDD to my NAS (which streams AVCHD files just fine), but I got an unrecognized file when I tried to stream on my PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by deewan View Post
                        I am terribly sorry for the violations. It was not my intent to break forum rules. I made these posts since I had spent several hours searching this forum trying to find a step-by-step method to use my DVDFab software for the purpose of streaming loss-less Blu-Ray movies to my PS3 from my NAS. When I saw mentions of mkv2vob in other threads, I thought it was a profile or setting in DVDfab, not another download or step after DVDFab. So I wasted a lot of time ripping and trying different settings instead of using other software.

During my limited use of DVDfab so far, I don't believe I have encountered VC-1 so I made no mention of it.

Sorry again for breaking forum rules, my intent was simply to give back to a community that has helped me reach my goals.
                        Deewan,
                        A link to the capabilities (and limitations) of the PS3 as a media player can be found here.
                        I used to use my ps3's as primary media players for a couple of years, but gave up on them waiting for Sony to support MKV and higher/better audio and video codecs (lacks VC-1, DTS, subtitile support, etc.). I presume they purposely chose not to. Too bad, as it's a great machine.
                        If you're going to stick with the PS3, then you'll just have to work around it's limitations - which you're currently doing.
                        However, if you're going to fill up your 4TB storage device with your DVD/BD collection, then you might reconsider going through all the hoops and accepting the limitations of the PS3, and use a stand-alone player - like I did.
                        I'm doing basically the same thing you're doing - streaming high bitrate (uncompressed) videos from my Synology NAS to my home theaters. I have two setups with >60" TV's and each has a WDTV LIVE +. All wired with GbE, and streaming uncompressed BD MKV's w/DTS, chapters, forced subs, etc. and works great.
                        I know that's not what you want (perhaps for now) but thought I'd throw that out there for you to think about.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz | Radeon HD 4670 | Win7 Pro x64 | 8 GB | Synology DS211j 5TB | Wired GbE | 2x WDTV Live + |

Comment

Originally posted by daffsters View Post
                          Maybe the removed instructions for mk2vob affected my conversion, but what was left of the original post did not work for me. I copied the coverted file from my HDD to my NAS (which streams AVCHD files just fine), but I got an unrecognized file when I tried to stream on my PS3.
                          You may need to change the profile that you ripped your Blu-Ray. I'd love to help trouble shoot but am scared to get monitored again and break a forum rule (which I never want to do).

Originally posted by tjkaz View Post
                          Deewan,
                          A link to the capabilities (and limitations) of the PS3 as a media player can be found here.
                          I used to use my ps3's as primary media players for a couple of years, but gave up on them waiting for Sony to support MKV and higher/better audio and video codecs (lacks VC-1, DTS, subtitile support, etc.). I presume they purposely chose not to. Too bad, as it's a great machine.
                          If you're going to stick with the PS3, then you'll just have to work around it's limitations - which you're currently doing.
                          However, if you're going to fill up your 4TB storage device with your DVD/BD collection, then you might reconsider going through all the hoops and accepting the limitations of the PS3, and use a stand-alone player - like I did.
                          I'm doing basically the same thing you're doing - streaming high bitrate (uncompressed) videos from my Synology NAS to my home theaters. I have two setups with >60" TV's and each has a WDTV LIVE +. All wired with GbE, and streaming uncompressed BD MKV's w/DTS, chapters, forced subs, etc. and works great.
                          I know that's not what you want (perhaps for now) but thought I'd throw that out there for you to think about.
                          I've had great success recently with all but one BR. I will check into the WDTV LIVE + you mentioned. I'm not stuck on the PS3, it's jsut what I had already in my theater. Free is always good.

Comment

Working...
                          X