Different Quality Using CUDA & Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Different Quality Using CUDA & Software

I recently got a new system setup with a GTX470 (448 cuda cores, w/latest drivers instld) & i7 2600k and was eager to see the faster rip times enabling cuda on the vid card. I was very impressed with around 80fps and rip time around 50min (2-pass). However, I've come to realize that the quality using cuda is not as good when compared to software enabled decoding/encoding.

I'm basically using the default MKV profile (H264/AC3) ripping around 13kbps @ 1080x1920, 2-pass. I noticed that when I have cuda enabled for both decoding/encoding, I can see more artifacts, like pixelation on certain scenes and overall some scenes just look grainy (displayed on a 52" LCD). Switching to software for both decoding/encoding, using the same movie scenes, removes the artifacts/pixelation/grainy. The movie just looks better, but at a cost of almost two times the ripping time it would take if I had cuda enabled. I really wanted to use this vid card to aid in processing, but it's not worth it if I'm getting lower quality. Is there different processing instructions when using cuda vs. cpu? Any suggestions?

Hi

1. Please install DVDFab 8.0.8.2 at http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm.

2. Set the encoding method as one passs when you enable cuda to see the result.

Comment

Originally posted by cici Jia View Post
      Hi

1. Please install DVDFab 8.0.8.2 at http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm.

2. Set the encoding method as one passs when you enable cuda to see the result.
      I wouldn't think this would fix the problem since the release notes where pretty minimal and didn't mention cuda. I tried anyway and it didn't fix it.

Comment

I used to use software decode, software+CUDA encode for the fastest times with good results, try that combo on one. I now use all software, my low-end CUDA card does not make that much difference speed-wise and the software does look better to me. They have also made speed improvements for the "all software" mode (for H264).
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

When using Cuda you can as well try by unchecking the Enable Lightning Recoding to see if you not have artifacts and such with the conversion. Not sure if it work as I have ATI card and no CUDA so only able to use Software myself

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            I used to use software decode, software+CUDA encode for the fastest times with good results, try that combo on one. I now use all software, my low-end CUDA card does not make that much difference speed-wise and the software does look better to me. They have also made speed improvements for the "all software" mode (for H264).
            I did test this combo and same result. I did however set decode to CUDA and encode to software and rip times were just as long as software and results were just like software (which was better quality). I wonder if the CUDA processing is different or is it how DVDFab is programmed. Or maybe card drivers? I wish CUDA looked the same as software, this would cut down my times significantly.

I have access to a i7 970 6 core, but would need to tear down my sys to use it. Anybody know if DVDFab utilitzes all 6 cores (12 threads)? This could cut down my rip times if using only software encoding/decoding.

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
            When using Cuda you can as well try by unchecking the Enable Lightning Recoding to see if you not have artifacts and such with the conversion. Not sure if it work as I have ATI card and no CUDA so only able to use Software myself
            Yeah, I tried this and is still the same.

Comment

Hi bper,

There are other users who can run dvdfab on system that running 6 core. Please right click on DVDFab8 icon, go to properties->Compatiblity, run DVDFab in another compatible mode to see the result.

Sincerely,
              --
              Sunny

Comment

Working...
              X