Which version - A question of quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Which version - A question of quality

When ripping DVD to Mobile, the newer versions are dramatically slower - at least for me.
    I'm using "Best Practices"

Typically, I use Vs 7.0.4.0 to convert my files
    Fixed rate 1750, 2 pass, H.264+source audio, 720 x ...
    Takes an average of 38 minutes from the hard drive
    Using newer version (8.0.8.5) that time jumps to 56 minutes
    I don't mind taking the extra time if there is a reason for doing so.
    Do the newer versions, for whatever reason, generate a higher quality file?
    I currently have an older, small screen TV .... I want to avoid "regrets" when I upgrade to a newer, larger screen TV.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

It's easier to compare conversion rates (fps) than time to complete. What kind of rates are you seeing? What is your CPU model and speed? Is that an internal hard drive, and are you reading from and writing to the same drive?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Signals,
      Varies movie to movie but typical average is 120 to 130 fps in vs7. Neglected to check in Vs8
      Procedure is to copy dvd to internal hard drive with no compression, then to convert to H.264 source audio from that HD, to a different internal for storage.

My system is Vista Ultimate, I3 540 - slight OC at 3.8Mhz 8GB Ram

The time comparison between versions of Fab were based on compressing the same movie with all of the same parameters.

I wasn't concerned as much with the speed of compression, but with wanting to know if newer versions of Fab create an equal size but higher quality playback file. I will trade off compression speed for quality if that quality increase is recognizable.
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X