full aspect content being letterboxed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) full aspect content being letterboxed

on the last few versions (8.0.9.7 through to 8.1.0.0) i am seeing extremely inconsistent behavior with content being letterboxed. (black bars being added to top and bottom when it shouldn't be)

i am trying to convert full 1080p media to mkv. when the bluray iso/disc is loaded DvdFab detects the content as 1422x800 which is incorrect, but could be a side effect of the default profile settings no longer being saved.

regardless, if i change the format to be 1920x1080 or even 1280x720 the preview in DvdFab looks correct, however when it is converted i end up with black bars top and bottom.

this is making it impossible to trust that DvdFab is going to do the right thing when i start a conversion.

What does the original source say with MediaInfo?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

the original source is a bd .iso file. also, this is happening with multiple sources, not just one.

like i said, dvdfab displays the aspect correctly in the crop/resolution selection panel. its just the resulting file that has the letterbox applied.

Comment

That was not what I asked.... What do the original BD FILES on the ISO show using MediaInfo?
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

from one of the files:

Code:
          General
          ID                               : 0 (0x0)
          Complete name                    : G:\BDMV\STREAM\00510.m2ts
          Format                           : BDAV
          Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
          File size                        : 116 MiB
          Duration                         : 21s 690ms
          Overall bit rate                 : 44.8 Mbps
          Maximum Overall bit rate         : 48.0 Mbps

Video
          ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
          Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
          Format                           : AVC
          Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
          Format profile                   : High@L4.1
          Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
          Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
          Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=21
          Codec ID                         : 27
          Duration                         : 21s 813ms
          Bit rate mode                    : Variable
          Bit rate                         : 29.7 Mbps
          Maximum bit rate                 : 31.5 Mbps
          Width                            : 1 920 pixels
          Height                           : 1 080 pixels
          Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
          Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
          Color space                      : YUV
          Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
          Bit depth                        : 8 bits
          Scan type                        : Progressive
          Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.598
          Stream size                      : 77.3 MiB (67%)
          Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
          Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
          Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Comment

Hi n__m,

when the bluray iso/disc is loaded DvdFab detects the content as 1422x800 which is incorrect
            Please do a capture of this conversion settings window and post here, thanks.

Did you try using Mkv.remux profile to see if it is universal frame resolution problem or just for one mkv profile?

Comment

hi sunny,
              the initial resolution is coming from the profile settings which weren't being saved when i changed them. in the beta (8.1.0.1) it appears this is being saved correctly (however the single-pass or 2-pass option is still not being saved)

the letterboxing seems very random. i followed your suggestion and under mkv.remux it appears to work correctly. so its only when its re-encoding that its having issues.

i've attached two captures. the first shows the video settings window where the correct full aspect image is displayed in the preview.
              the second image shows the preview tab during a 2-pass encoding using these settings, and you can see the black bars that end up in the resulting mkv file covering the top and bottom of frame.

note. this occurs on many bd sources, and did not seem to happen on earlier versions.
              Attached Files

Comment

I can't duplicate this with 2.40:1 Region A (US) source content using mkvh264 or iPhone profiles. V8.1.0.1.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                X