Picture and sound quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Picture and sound quality

I have a large DVD collection that I am copying onto an external HDD to play through a Kiaser Baas wifi media player.
    I am using the latest version of DVDFab and was wondering which convertion type would give me DVD like quality for picture and sound.
    The media player will play all formats that DVDFab converts to so file type isn't a problem as well I would prefer the quality of the DVD kept as opposed to smallest file size I can convert to.
    At the moment I have converted a couple across as MKV file's with sound setup to be like source but the sound seems to be picked up through reciever as stereo.
    I don't know alot about the different file types and there quilties. I have tried researching it but it goes more on personal preference with is making it more difficult. I can see this is going to be same hense I haven't asked for the best but a conversion that will do it.

Thanks for your help

I have decided to try AVI seeing that windows media centre wont play MVK through it and I am trying to test windows media centre and the kiaser baas with sound quailty output.
    I will let you know how it goes and which ever one works or both work I will put on here both conversion setups

Comment

I think you will find that one of the H264 profiles will provide a sharper looking image. For a DVD Source, try a screen resolution that is 720 pixels wide (720xXXX) and a bitrate that produces a b/p reading of around 0.25 or so. There are H264 profiles for AVI, MP4 and other container types. I use MP4 with my media player because I can also put the same files on my iPhone4 without making another conversion.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the info
        I thought on my original post I was using H264 but I didn't.
        The MKV profile I am using is generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy with high quailty encoding (2 pass) and frame res at at least 720 x 400. Also frame rate at 25. I will up both the frame res and frame rate if the file is going to be less then 1gb.
        The AVI profile is the same with h264.audiocopy. Would xvid be better then h264 with avi.

By the sounds of it the media player I have is faulty as it wont pic up digital sound by default as windwos media centre does.
        I will be replacing it with a WD live media player (the one without the hdd)
        Has anyone got one of these and what are they like

Thanks

Comment

Good Video and Audio Quality Rip Settings

A ristof has stated, I am also finding that I cannot get 5.1 audio with MKV.
          I would like to keep 5.1 audio and also have have good quality video.

My Blu-ray player seems to stream everything I try, so I am not concerned too much which format I use as long as I get the best quality.

Would it be a good idea for me to also try a H264 MP4 or AVI profile?

Comment

I'm doing a similar thing. I choose "to MP4", then use the iPad.H264.multichannel (or something similar).

I then choose a resolution around 960x550 (which is around half 1080p, but it varies from episode to episode for some reason), make sure 5.1 sound is selected (I use 448Kbps audio quality)... and deinterlacing of course. That gets decent quality rips, with 5.1 channel sound, in about 750MB per episode.

I only use 1-pass encoding too, and the quality is fine, and only takes about 4 - 5 minutes per episode.

Comment

Working...
            X