Program Freezes When Ripping to iPad Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Program Freezes When Ripping to iPad Format

DVD Ripper fails to rip some -- but not all -- DVDs to iPad format. I use DVDCopy to transfer files from DVD to HDD (uncompressed), confirm that files are intact, and then use DVDRipper. On certain movies, the ripping function begins, but then freezes anywhere from 9-18% into the process. It freezes in the same spot every time for each particular movie. The movies in question are actually rather old (e.g. How To Steal A Million, The Collector), so I don't suspect any new anti-copy artifacts hiding within the files.

More significantly, while DVDFab consistently fails to rip these movies to iPad format, it is able to rip the very same movies just fine to other formats (e.g. iPod format). This would seem to confirm (I think) that there is nothing wrong with the DVD source files themselves. iPod format does work on my iPad, but not very well, producing lots of strange video artifacts. Therefore, simply making do with iPod-format files is not an option.

Things I have already tried with no success:
    -- Complete uninstall and clean reinstall of DVDCopy/Ripper (v8.1.0.5) as administrator.
    -- Changed A/V Codecs to "software"
    -- Disabled "Enable Lightning-Recording"
    -- Used alternative iPad ripping profile (h264.1080p)

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by mjeffery View Post
    The movies in question are actually rather old (e.g. How To Steal A Million, The Collector), so I don't suspect any new anti-copy artifacts hiding within the files.
    You are right on this one. That's why you should try with PathPlayer disabled.

Any suggestions?
    Disable PathPlayer and try again. Come back here with results.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Still Stuck

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no luck. Ripping freezes at a slightly different point in the process with PathPlayer disabled, but otherwise result is the same. Again, it puzzles me that it rips just fine in iPod format, regardless of whether PathPlayer is disabled or enabled (I tried both).

If it's any help, here's my log file showing the unsuccessful iPad rip.

DVDFab 8.1.0.5 (2011/07/29 14:07:12)

0m 00.76s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 0
      0m 00.76s: Qt Translator file load success
      0m 11.52s: pathplayer disabled 0
      0m 16.34s:

------ begin mobile work(1/1) ------

0m 16.34s: create config(0)
      0m 16.34s: convert profile(iPad.h264)
      0m 16.34s: dvd title(1) angle(0) chapter(1->25)
      0m 16.34s: stream(480,2,1) stream(128,86019,1)
      0m 17.42s: not set correct fourcc for video(28)
      0m 17.42s: info: set output video frame_rate(24000/1001)
      0m 18.43s: h264_encode: encode param profile(0) level(30) bitrate(787)

Log ends here, since the program froze and had to be shut down.

Comment

I am having similar problems with the iPhone 4 profile, but only with older 4:3 black and white movies. It persists in v8.1.0.7 Beta for me, but newer movies (widescreen) work fine.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

ipad2 H.264 rip problem

I am having the same problem as "mjeffrey" trying to rip for my ipad2 (H.264). It rips to 11.61% and then stops. I have Norton Internet Security and it will display a High CPU usage message prior to the freeze. I have tried disabling the turbo processing option, but all that did was to slow the process down and it froze at the same place. This surfaced with an old black and white move, The House On 92nd Street (1947).

Comment

Still No Solution

The common factor with everyone's problems seems to be older movies. Unfortunately, I have no idea what this means. In my case, the list of movies that DVDFab refuses to rip continues to grow, including Bunny Lake Is Missing, My Favorite Year, How To Steal A Million and The Collector, all but one from the 60s. Newer movies rip just fine.

Comment

The developers have duplicated the problem, but no timeframe for a fix. I am going to revert to an earlier version for these problem conversions.

//EDIT// I am using v8.0.7.3 with excellent results for iPhone4 and iPad2. A more recent version may also work,but I haven't tried any. This is a non-Qt version from January, and will install in a different folder, so you can keep the current versions active for new copy protections and other improvements. If you need v8.0.7.3, send me a note using the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page (be sure to click the "Forum" button).
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

V 8073 can also be downloaded from this link.

Comment

Working...
                X