X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Audio sync

cont..

DVDFab 8.1.2.0

NTSC movies (Phenomenon for example, but it seems to be a wider issue across any DVD. I'm consider if the container is a factor.

changing the FPS in the conversion settings of a DVD movie doesn't appear to have changed the FPS of the finished product. the result is audio progressively out of sync

Speaking of containers: It seems that no matter how I choose MP4 the resultant movie is packaged in the M4V container.. If I wanted the M4V container I think I would have chosen it, right?. so what can I do to enforce the container?

Ok so ripping a movie from DVD to a single VOB file is flawless, perfectly in sync from beginning to end.

source movie is reported by MediaInfo, Media Player Classic,
    Video: MPEG2 Video 720x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 9800Kbps
    Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 384Kbps

Yet another issue..

ripped a movie to a VOB container, but the subtitles are separated to idx/sub format. Ok this is great I think, at least we have subtitles in a great format thanks

Unfortunately when converting the vob to mp4 or other container the subtitles can not be included as the format is not supported!!! So let me get this right, we can rip to idx/sub but can only remux with srt???

Originally posted by Ian
    Ok so ripping a movie from DVD to a single VOB file is flawless, perfectly in sync from beginning to end.

source movie is reported by MediaInfo, Media Player Classic,
    Video: MPEG2 Video 720x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 9800Kbps
    Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 384Kbps

...cont

when remuxing the vob with mkvmerge the project fails with some unknown error. So ripped the movie with another ripper to the HDD and a similar result but this time I recovered a "Warning"
    \VTS_01_1.VOB' track 1: This AC3 track contains 483 bytes of non-AC3 data which were skipped. The audio/video synchronization may have been lost.
    Oh brother... I tried to upload logs to show errors however the logs exceed the 55k allowed by the forum!! ok Hang on, looks like it can be zipped up

This looks like another form of copy protection.. I am able to copy the stream perfectly however all normal means of dvd conversion has failed..
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ian,
      Please give us more inform about your issues.
      #1.Which profile do you use? For changing FPS and MP4 container to m4v container?
      #3.Why not use DVD ripper to MP4 directly?
      terry5

Comment

hi

I use many custom profiles. the intent is always to convert directly to MP4 unfortunately DVDFab often outputs to m4v, actually all the time when using 8.1.2.0 but was not a problem in earlier versions. I honestly don't know why.

I have a profile created with profile editor but have not been able to select it. Meanwhile I create each profile as needed for four different scenarios. the main profile is
        MP4 h264 +aac
        Video h264 ~1800kbps 640xXXX 23.976fps No Split
        Audio aac 128kbps Dolby ProLogicII @ 150% volume
        Subtitles Direct Render to video

This is a mobile profile used for every movie, but there are others but none can be run consecutively in Queue due to limitations of the subtitles which are not always the same for each profile.
        Now maybe someone sees my dilemma?

Anyhow this profile never produces an MP4 file, instead it creates an unexpected M4V file???
        Last edited by Ian; 09-20-2011, 04:45 AM.

Comment

With version 8.1.2.0 every MP4 profile it seems creates a M4V file instead??? not sure what's going on here but this is the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by terry5 View Post
            Hi Ian,
            Please give us more inform about your issues.
            #1.Which profile do you use? For changing FPS and MP4 container to m4v container?terry5
            As noted in my description above, it's not my choice to or desire to change fps or m4v containers. dvd ripper is causing unexpected results..

#3.Why not use DVD ripper to MP4 directly?
            I don't want an m4v container but "dvd ripper" is committed to produce an m4v file no matter what kind of mp4 profile I select..

Comment

For all practical purposes that I know of, an M4V is equivalent to an MP4, what device do you use that requires MP4 but rejects M4V? Have you tried just changing the file suffix?

The DVDFab internal logs can be opened with Notepad and pasted after selecting the session of interest either into a post or into a text file that you can attach to a post.

The VOBs you create with VOB Passthrough are not DVD-Video, they are MPEG-2 streams. No subpics or other DVD-like features are maintained in the conversion. These VOBs will not be accepted by DVD Ripper, since they are not DVD-Video compliant (by design) and have no IFO files or normal DVD volume structure. You may or may not have success converting them with the Video Converter module.

Please gather your thoughts and results a little better before posting, it makes the thread hard to follow. Some of your posts have been merged.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                As noted in my description above, it's not my choice to or desire to change fps or m4v containers. dvd ripper is causing unexpected results..

I don't want an m4v container but "dvd ripper" is committed to produce an m4v file no matter what kind of mp4 profile I select..
                I am not an expert, but I have done some investigation on the subject of m4v versus mp4. All m4v's are mp4, but not the reverse!! As far as I know, you can simply change the m4v extension to mp4 (if need be) and that will work. The reverse is not true! You cannot simply change mp4 to m4v, as there are some internal requirements demanded by m4v, such as being level 3.1. Level 3.1 is a less "complicated" version of mp4. Many portable devices support only level 3.1 of the mp4 standard.

I guess you could say, "Not all mp4's are created equal!"

Comment

Thanks pawnslinger for reminding me. I guess I'd forgotten I could edit the extension. doh!!

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                    For all practical purposes that I know of, an M4V is equivalent to an MP4, what device do you use that requires MP4 but rejects M4V? Have you tried just changing the file suffix?
                    Now that I've been reminded I can do that I will. and it's because in the past I've come across players which do not play m4v well, can't remember now though mostly because I've been using my preferred mp4 container for so many years now. It's also about choice; I choose to use mp4 because of prior issues, now I have an added inconvenience because DVD ripper doesn't respect my choice!! I select mp4, yet it gives me m4v this is not what I chose from the menu. Respectfully what's the deal with that please?

The VOBs you create with VOB Passthrough are not DVD-Video, they are MPEG-2 streams. No subpics or other DVD-like features are maintained in the conversion. These VOBs will not be accepted by DVD Ripper, since they are not DVD-Video compliant (by design) and have no IFO files or normal DVD volume structure. You may or may not have success converting them with the Video Converter module.
                    ok, so why not make it conform to something we can use like ts or m2ts?

Please gather your thoughts and results a little better before posting, it makes the thread hard to follow. Some of your posts have been merged.
                    imagine how confusing the post would be if I didn't edit them?? ;p although cut and pasting as mush as I do is probably half the problem.. I blame the 45 minute editing limit, because I rush to get it down in writing then get cut off during my editing...
                    Last edited by Ian; 09-20-2011, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Anyhow, the big issue here is occasionally I come across a movie like the one I've been trying to convert for the last two days where the audio sync progressively becomes out of sync during the entire movie. So far DVDripper has failed to convert this movie without completely loosing the ability to maintain audio/video sync. Luckily dvdfab is not the only tool in my kit. only issue is that other tools do not handle subtitles very well.

So what info exactly can I prepare that may help?
                      Last edited by Ian; 09-20-2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I just came across another movie that had "audio sync" problems. Most DVDs seem to be in 29.97 fps, and this one was no exception (as reported by MediaInfo). But when I ripped it to m4v, it was WAY WAY out of sync. Anyhow, I thought it was a lost cause, because of the large out of sync condition, but just in case, I tried it once with 23.xx as the fps in DVDFab (overriding the 29.97 it also thought was correct). Well, it came out working great at 23.xx... and I don't know why. But it sure can be a big waste of time doing this on a movie by movie basis. Oh, the DVD was an old one, like most of the ones I work with -- I don't recall when it was made, but I bought the DVD a long time ago -- Blues Brothers 2000.

I own a large library of old DVDs... that I am slowly converting for mobile viewing.

Comment

I'd say maybe 10-20% of all the movies I rip to my library there are Audio/visual sync issues, I can usually fix the problem using other software but the result does not maintain consistency with the format or with subtitles or audio of the remainder in my library.

For me, the fps thing is definitely not the issue. I have to wonder though why any software player maintains audio sync while DVDripper can not..

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                            I'd say maybe 10-20% of all the movies I rip to my library there are Audio/visual sync issues, I can usually fix the problem using other software but the result does not maintain consistency with the format or with subtitles or audio of the remainder in my library.

For me, the fps thing is definitely not the issue. I have to wonder though why any software player maintains audio sync while DVDripper can not..
                            I am afraid I don't have many answers. But the movie I was working on last night provides some clues. I normally use DVDFab 8.0.8.5, and it couldn't handle this move at all. So I tried some other software, and it too failed. I was about to give up, when I tried DVDFab 8.1.2.0, and it worked flawlessly! I usually don't use 8.1.2.0 because of lots of issues with it, but last night it worked like a champ, and nothing else would. It even got the fps correct when others didn't.

I think that points out to 8.1.2.0 containing bug fixes! Too bad I have other issues with it.

Comment

Well I hate to say this but being honest I may have been a little to quick to dismiss fps as the culprit and that there may be some merit to the fps thing after all... Have been trying to do comparisons with other videos which indicates that "mediainfo" is infact inconsistent with it's fps status of a video.

In many area's DVDfab allows the option to keep the original fps however dvdripper does not...??

Still looking into this, funny thing this seems to only apply to dvd movies as BlueRay rips great go figure..

Comment

Working...
                              X