Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD to Apple TV 2.0

Hi folks,

Could anyone comment on whether the following is the best method for ripping an original legitimate DVD to play on an Apple TV 2.0 (stored on network attached storage).

-Insert DVD1 into Optical Drive 1
    -Open DVD Fab and select DVD Ripper to VOB
    -Start ripping to VOB
    -Repeat for optical drives 2, 3 and 4 by opening additional instances of DVD Fab.

-With a bunch of VOBs ripped, queue them up in Handbrake and convert to Apple TV 2.0 H.264 codec over night.

The final step takes a long time, can I improve this process at all?

I have licenses for DVD Ripper and Passkey...

Any ideas?

That may work, but I think DVD Ripper will produce faster and better results than the other software you mentioned. Here is the way I would
    approach this task:

Use Passkey (Rip to hard disc option) to rip the original disc to a VIDEO_TS folder on your local hard drive. Do this for several discs if you plan to convert several at once. Use DVD Ripper to open each folder and select a profile with the correct settings. As you open each additional source, the conversion will be added to the task queue and when you click Start, they will run one after the other. See the image below for an example of what it should look like. Keep plenty of air moving, especially with long queue lists. The conversion tasks will run faster if the Target and Source hard drives are not the same or preferably not even on the same cable or controller. Multiple optical drives are not necessary or really desireable for this. Using NAS as the Source or Target for a conversion is not really recommended either.
    Attached Files
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Use DVD Ripper to open each folder and select a profile with the correct settings.
      The problem with this approach is that there is no profile for Apple TV in DVD ripper that includes multichannel audio or AC3 passthrough audio for Dolby Digital 5.1. Furthermore there is no profile for Apple TV at all in the Blu-ray ripper.

Comment

Thanks guys, so I've started by ripping DVD to VOB which is going fine, now I am going to convert VOBs to Apple TV MP4s.

Handbrake appears to convert in realtime, i.e. 1h30m per VOB! Does Fab Converter take any less time?

Comment

Folks each time I try to convert a VOB to Apple TV in DVD Fab Video Converter it hangs on 3-5% with the times/seconds still moving but % not...what's the fix?

Comment

Hi bertles86,
            Please try the latest build 8125 qt http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm.
            If not success, post the latest internal log here.

Comment

Working...
            X