Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How best to determine Bits/pixel and or quality for highest quality?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper How best to determine Bits/pixel and or quality for highest quality?

My goal is to get as high a quality dvd-to-mkv h.264 encodes as I can within reason upto about 2.5gig in size without unnecesarily overshooting the quality originally coded per various disk. Encodes are for big screen/home theater application. In having used the profile editor to tweak file outputs from the generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy preset I am currently sitting on a .31 bits/pixel custom preset setting. I also have turned up the quality figure from within said custom presets xml file from 85 to 100. Would like to know what might that do in going to 100 if I am already predefining the bit/pixel figure via profile editing the preset. Am assuming it doesn't change bitrates but rather somehow does more precise study/algorythms of file?..What ever the case, is the best process to leave the xml file quality alone and but study the original vob bits/pixel info either directly with a media info tool or study a remuxed/split of the original and aim for a percentage of the original bits/pixel based on something of known mkv container compression ability? (like 1/3 original). It looks like from within 'video efffects setting'/crop that we do not get to see actual original bit/pixel info but rather only the original frame resolution. Wouldn't such info being available there help make such decissions if it can make a difference?
    Seems most my vob read from about .50 to .65 bits/pixel but muxes/merges read lower??...so but is it ok to assume not more than say a .22 is needed on a preset for standard dvd based on compressions involved?
    What else may be adjusted within the xml to gain quality?
    I am utilizing IQS so assume it not best to switch to 2pass encoding as it forces software? For some reason,apparently from boosting settigns too high, I went from about 100fps encoding down to about 30fps. Strangely an encode will start out fast on these settings up around 70fps but then slow. Maybe it's too taxing a situation for IQS and software 2pass be just as quik.
    Currently runnign about 1.5hr for 2hr movie which is ok for me but if I can speed things up or increase quality I am fine either way...

Also,... can anyone say if pineapple preset was any good or if it what it consisted of made it's way into official generic preset. Wanted to try it but have no idea how to convert it to the new xml format. Maybe that can be posted up or the settings from within it's xml be offered up??
    When I point the profile editor to an actual file output from that other program to make a custom preset the resulting encodes do not come close to a generic.mkv.h264 one. They all blocky during dark action scenes.

Any help or comments greatly appreciated..

Generally, b/p for MPEG-2 must be higher for a given video quality than would be required for the same quality encoded using MPEG-4 due to the differences in the efficiency of the encoding process. I would suggest that you make short test encodes with different tweaks and see how they look to you.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Wow..that was helpful almost beyond words, Thanx!

..Anyone else care to offer insight are surely welcome..

Comment

Originally posted by ktm View Post

Think long and hard before you make another sarcastic post on this forum.
        This is the only warning you will get.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
          Think long and hard before you make another sarcastic post on this forum.
          This is the only warning you will get.
          Thanx for warning.. Facts are facts though, the response was rediculously weak and did not address the fair questions. If you are able to do better than simply posting a threat feel welcome to contribute.... How does dvdfab developers expect confidence and loyalty from customers with such treatment and poor response? ..,,catch ya on the critical side of things where software programs are either praised for their support or not..peace out.

Comment

Here is some additional insight: you are trying to make a comparison between MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 that is not valid. Video playback quality for any given setting is controlled by many variables including the source encoding, and is subjective in any event as I tried to explain in my earlier post.

You also have confused this support forum with your personal blog, also not valid. And assumed that the forum staff would benefit from your perspective-less opinion on how things should work here, not only grossly invalid but arrogant. Take some time off and read the General Policies document.

Originally posted by ktm View Post

Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X