Copy Before Rip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Copy Before Rip?

Hi, I have read that a lot of people copy the blu ray to their hd before ripping. Does this make the process go any faster than just ripping from the bd drive? Thanks.

For most hardware, yes, it does, in some cases MUCH faster. Copy the Main Movie to a BDMV folder, the run the conversion from that.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by blake0721 View Post
      Hi, I have read that a lot of people copy the blu ray to their hd before ripping. Does this make the process go any faster than just ripping from the bd drive? Thanks.
      It didn't make a difference for me. What made a difference was an Nvidia 560 Ti video card. I went from around 20-25 fps for Blu-Ray upwards of 70 fps, depending upon the content. Running off the hard drive vs. the DVD drive has shown on miminal improvmements for me.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        For most hardware, yes, it does, in some cases MUCH faster. Copy the Main Movie to a BDMV folder, the run the conversion from that.
        How do you copy it to your computer first?

Thanks
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbelton View Post

Thanks
          Paul
          I think any confusion here is the result of an unfortunate use of certain terms.

Ripping = decrypting/copying to the hdd.

This is the DVD Ripper/BD Ripper subforum and as many of us have said, the name
          DVDFab DVD Ripper/Blu-ray Ripper was a poor and misleading choice for this product.

I take what was posted as follows:

When the OP spoke to copying to the hdd prior to ripping, he is actually referring to the process of ripping (decrypting/copying)
          Additionally, the term ripping actually refers to the process of converting.

Hope this helps clear that up ...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by pbelton View Post

Thanks
            Paul
            Its a combination of bd copy and bd ripper Paul ;heres a partial quote from cbr929 vvv; I only purchased ripper so do it from the drive. Speed depends on the profile whether m2ts audiocopy [ 3 speeds] or lickety split passthrough without shrinking the file

If you have BD Copy also please do not convert from your drive
            First save it to your HDD as BD50 "Movie Only" without compression.
            Then open the hard drive folder and use the folder on your HDD to do your converting.
            Doing it this way saves wear and tear on your optical drive and is also faster.
            CBR929

Comment

Originally posted by regnad kcin View Post
              I think any confusion here is the result of an unfortunate use of certain terms.

Ripping = decrypting/copying to the hdd.

This is the DVD Ripper/BD Ripper subforum and as many of us have said, the name
              DVDFab DVD Ripper/Blu-ray Ripper was a poor and misleading choice for this product.

I take what was posted as follows:

When the OP spoke to copying to the hdd prior to ripping, he is actually referring to the process of ripping (decrypting/copying)
              Additionally, the term ripping actually refers to the process of converting.

Hope this helps clear that up ...LOL

I was referring to decrypting first to vob or whatever it is, and then ripping that file to whatever file type I choose. Bc it took 25 hours to rip The Dark Knight to mp4. I think it may be bc I rip from a netbook with little ram though. I'm just looking for ways to speed up the process.

Comment

Thanks for trying to clear up what it is that you're doing, but we need to get some products and misused terms straight in order to avoid more confusion.

For some, it sounded as though you're using BD Copy and then BD Ripper which is a common, but not absolute method.
                You can also rip and convert with BD Ripper as did jbinkley60.
                In his case, converting directly from the original disc works well.

You're using only DVDFab DVD Ripper/Blu-ray Ripper...correct?

First you
                ripped...remember this means decrypt/copy...
                with BD Ripper to vob.
                Correct?
                Then you converted (not ripped) to .mp4 since you had already ripped to .vob
                Correct?
                If no, please specify.

Why .vob?
                How and what device (PS3?, XBox?, iPad?, etc...) are you using to playback the movie?
                Exactly what profile is your ultimate goal?

Please also post your laptops specs including your gpu (graphics hardware) as this will expedite any help we can offer.
                Even low-end specs should do better for you.

For starters, please make the following changes:

Fab Common Settings > General > A/V Codec
                Video Decoder > Software only for all entries

Video Encoder >
                Software only

Disable Lightning Recoding

The devil's in the details

Comment

Originally posted by regnad kcin View Post
                  Thanks for trying to clear up what it is that you're doing, but we need to get some products and misused terms straight in order to avoid more confusion.

For some, it sounded as though you're using BD Copy and then BD Ripper which is a common, but not absolute method.
                  You can also rip and convert with BD Ripper as did jbinkley60.
                  In his case, converting directly from the original disc works well.

You're using only DVDFab DVD Ripper/Blu-ray Ripper...correct?

First you
                  ripped...remember this means decrypt/copy...
                  with BD Ripper to vob.
                  Correct?
                  Then you converted (not ripped) to .mp4 since you had already ripped to .vob
                  Correct?
                  If no, please specify.

Why .vob?
                  How and what device (PS3?, XBox?, iPad?, etc...) are you using to playback the movie?
                  Exactly what profile is your ultimate goal?

Please also post your laptops specs including your gpu (graphics hardware) as this will expedite any help we can offer.
                  Even low-end specs should do better for you.

For starters, please make the following changes:

Fab Common Settings > General > A/V Codec
                  Video Decoder > Software only for all entries

Video Encoder >
                  Software only

Disable Lightning Recoding

The devil's in the details
                  I use a wd external hd that I plug into my TV so it doesn't matter what format I use bc it plays everything. I just wanted to know what the best way to convert to blu ray would be, where I could have a moderately small file size (8 gigs or so) and not have it take a whole day to convert. I don't know how to put it more plainly than that.

Comment

This is your major bottleneck. A Netbook is just not up to the task you are asking it to do in a reasonable time.

I think it may be bc I rip from a netbook with little ram though. I'm just looking for ways to speed up the process.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I use a wd external hd that I plug into my TV so it doesn't matter what format I use bc it plays everything. I just wanted to know what the best way to convert to blu ray would be, where I could have a moderately small file size (8 gigs or so) and not have it take a whole day to convert. I don't know how to put it more plainly than that.
                      Here's an idea.
                      How about and putting forth a reasonable effort and describe your problem accurately the first time?

Comment

Working...
                      X