REALLY annoying bugs introduced since QT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper REALLY annoying bugs introduced since QT

I've been a user of DVDFab now for many years and think it's a wonderful product, but there are some really annoying bugs that have crept in since the first QT version. They don't really show up when converting a single movie, but if like me you are converting your TV series box sets to run from a server then they are infuriating.

1)
    The first I have already mentioned in another thread, but haven't seen any acknowledgement that it will be fixed. That is that if you have a list of titles, for which an audio track other than the first was selected, then if you click on that title, and select EDIT (e.g. to change the filename) then when you return to the list of titles you see that the First audio track has been selected. It appears that when you select a title there is a "cursor position" that always focuses on the first track in the list, regardless of what audio track is currently is selected and the EDIT process seems to automatically select wherever the cursor was. This is REALLY annoying if the first track isn't the one you want, especially given that DVDFab options DO select the right audio track for you automatically, but once you edit a title in undoes the good work, and frequently leaves you with an entire series dubbed into a language you don't want. I have checked, it did NOT do this at 8.0.8.5 but has on every QT release since till at least 8.1.3.6. It should be an easy fix, either make the cursor position automatically reflect the selected audio track when a title is clicked on, or remove the "click event" that appears to be being sent to the Audio Track window when EDIT is performed.

2)
    The second bug is even worse. The Mobile Task Queue window has become Modal since moving to QT. Again when ripping a single disc this doesn't really show as a problem, but when you have ripped an entire series to ISO images and then you want to rip the episodes in bulk the Queue window pops up once you reach the second ISO and you have to close it after each new title you add to get to the next one. And this is even more ridiculous a behaviour with the Video Converter option, in that you can point that feature at an entire folder, and it loads the files and THEN pops up the Queue window after adding two files to the list, and you have to close that window for each subsequent file to allow DVDFab to "automatically" build the list, which for a TV series leaves you clicking the close button around 100 times. Again it didn't do this at 8.0.8.5, you could just move it out of the way and carry on, but appears to have done it for every QT release. Again it should be a simple fix, either remove the modal attribute of the window, or better still, why pop-up the queue window at all unless requested by the user.

In 1), it seems to be re-reading and asserting the default language choices from Common Settings. Try setting the audio stream to "select none" to see if that is where the change comes from. It still should be fixed.

I have also duplicated 2) and although I don't do batch conversions very often it certainly would be very annoying. I will send the QA Team boss a link to this thread. They are on holiday for at least part of this week.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

For 1) it's not reasserting the default language, quite the opposite. The default language IS being selected initially by DVDFab but it gets overridden IF you edit a title from the list and the first audio track WASN'T the default language. I've done a lot of tests to figure out what is going on here, including changing the default language settings. It only LOOKS like it is reasserting the default language choice if the first entry on the list happens to also be the default language

To really see it in action you need to find a disk with multiple audio tracks, the first of which isn't your language of choice in your profile settings. When you insert the disc you will see the first line in the audio list has a very dark background colour (this is effectively the "cursor position" I talk about) but the radio button will not be selected, this will be showing against another entry further down in the list that matches your default language choice. Then when you click on EDIT to edit the details of that title, when you return from Edit the Radio Button against the first entry in the list is now set and your default language choice is not.

To really demonstrate it is the position of the audio cursor that determines what ends up being the selected audio track, and nothing to do with language defaults, try the following. Click in the audio list to select an entry that is not the first or last on the list. Ensure the radio button is showing as set for that choice. Then use the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard to move the "cursor" to the last entry on the list, and note that the radio button is not selected. Then click EDIT followed by OK and you will note that now the last audio stream on the list is selected.

Since the default position of the "cursor" for the audio track for each title is always the first row, regardless of the default choice, this effectively means the first audio track gets automatically selected every time you click the EDIT button. If the first on the list IS your default choice, or you don't need to EDIT a title then you don't see this problem, but when you do it's really annoying to find you have a whole series dubbed into the wrong language after several hours of conversion.

Good to know they're going to be looked at. I suspect they are both very easy fixes, but they're currently driving me mad.

Comment

There is also a 3) I wasn't sure whether to post it separately in the video converter section, as it doesn't effect DVD ripper, but it may be in some way connected to problem 2).

That is when processing a list of files to convert, it doesn't matter what files, or where they are from, the first file on the list converts and the explorer window pops up with it in, but then the converter sticks at 100% until I click Cancel.

Once I click "cancel" and "finish" and then "start" again it continues with processing from the second file and carries on to process the rest of the list without stalling. In all cases the First, second and subsequent files all seem to be converted correctly it just seems to have this stall before the second file. Since the task list problem requires the window be closed once a second file has been added to the list it made me wonder whether this is in some way related.

This is with 8.1.3.6 QT btw

Comment

It seems problem 2) has been fixed in 8.1.5.9 with the Mobile Task Queue no longer being a modal window, but problems 1) and 3) remain.

Comment

If you UNcheck "Open output directory when done" will it complete the task list without hanging after the first one?
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I thought "hey that's a good idea, perhaps it's the opening of the folder that makes it stick", but alas no. I tried it with the option unchecked and something worse now happens. The file conversion gets to 92.something% (it varies) and then sticks, the task elapsed time and task time left keeps going up, but the percentage sticks. I can leave it for a while and nothing changes.

THEN if I try and open the output file vlc player fails as expected for an incomplete file, but then surprisingly this kicks the conversion off again and it works it's way up to 99.something% (again it varies) at which point all the task times stop moving, but the total elapsed time continues. Now you can open the output file, so it has finished.

This is using folders I converted successfully a few weeks ago using 8.1.3.6, albeit with the pause after the first file. Looks like I'm headed back to 8.0.8.5 as the last reliable version :-/

Comment

Is there any estimate on when point 1) will be fixed. Version 8.1.9.6 is still selecting the first language on the list after an Edit, regardless of the default language?

It's got to the point now where I use 8.0.8.5 most of the time, due to coming back to my PC after a long conversion to find I've ripped an entire TV series in Japanese or German, and have to rip them all again.

I now only use the latest version to check if it's been fixed, and for odd discs that won't rip with 8.0.8.5, which really isn't a good situation to be in.

Comment

Please try the latest release 8208.

Comment

Still got exactly the same problem in 8.2.1.0.

Comment

And it's still doing it in 8.2.1.3. Am I missing something? Is this really difficult to fix or something?

I would have expected it to be a fairly simple fix, by either making the language "cursor" move to the currently selected language when you click on a new title in the list, so when you click EDIT it selects the language that was already selected OR stop the EDIT click also performing a select of the language that the "cursor" is over i.e. usually the first on the list.

Comment

Working...
                      X