No announcement yet.

Blu ray to MKV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garry that was the best answer with out a real answer lol, I actually learned a bit and will try the remux option, I all ways thought it was ment for upsacaling, eg, pro logic to dts. I again wish there would be better guides as this is a paid for program, to keep people or noobs like me from guessing . So if I understand you correctly I should use the h264 remux part to rip to mkv with full dts support. Im not worried about video I use [Other software] to compress the files anyhow.
    Last edited by IPopov50; 02-24-2012, 04:52 AM. Reason: violation

Comment

Not quite mate. It's not h264 remux it's MKV remux. Remuxing as I said is the process of getting rid of the threads you dont want and dumping it into an MKV container. The h264 is the compression codec used for the video component > in the case of remuxing it doesn't come into play.

If you're using the freeware program you mentioned to then shrink the finished remux I would think that you will miss out on full DTS MA sound (if that is a consideration) as I'm fairly certain FAB is the only software around that handles it. I know that other freeware programs such as [Other software] only pass through the DTS core and not the lossless component.

That and the 3D capabilities of FAB are pretty well what brought me to it. Not to mention it's speed and easy to use GUI.
      Last edited by IPopov50; 02-24-2012, 04:54 AM. Reason: violation

Comment

Hi unclebubbies ; I found that a poke around the various sub pages of fab itself helped a lot . If you press the edit button and cycle through the various profiles at the top you will notice the audio options change automatically down the bottom ; audiocopy ; passthrough etc will say passthrough audio as is iirc and any ac3 profile will default to a dolby 5.1 codec generally .

If your player can handle m2ts files I have never had a problem with multichannel lpcm even both 24/48 as well as 16/48 . Have done both Kill bill movies also Dan in real life just using passthrough ;no encoding so very quick

The reason you have trouble with lpcm is its not a codec like dts hdma or dolby truehd but the pure uncompressed stream from which all the lossy and lossless codecs are derived . This is why its no longer or rarely used as dolby and dts enables the audio to be shrunk so the video gets more bandwidth for a better picture .

So thats why you need a passthrough mode as the dolby and dts codecs are purpose designed to have mixdown modes so older avrs and pre pro's that dont have lossless decoding get say a dts 5.1 core track thats incorporated into say a dts hdma 5.1 track . Use your playback capabilities to determine what profile to use . The dd5.1 options are very comprehensive ;you can do full bitrate dd 640kbps or select 448kbps which was all they usually put on a dvd in the old days Hope this helps a bit ; the video codecs vc1;mpeg2 and avc are another subject for another day for example hd dvd mostly used vc1 but not bluray ..

Comment

CWT, I'm sorry but your post has really got me confused. (easy to do) Are you telling me that there is a way to shrink(rip) a blu ray disc that has lpcm audio using Dvdfabblurayripper and lower the GB rate but keep the lpcm audio and hd quality video? If that is what you are saying please describe in detail the steps one by one. Garry, I'll be waiting to read your results after you do some testing.
          Everyone please remember my main goal was to keep the hd audio with hd video but shrink to the smallest GB rate. I have no problem with discs that are DTSMA or DolbyTrue hd. My problem surfaces with discs that have LPCM audio.
          Thanks again to all.

Comment

Originally posted by unclebubbies View Post
            CWT, I'm sorry but your post has really got me confused. (easy to do) Are you telling me that there is a way to shrink(rip) a blu ray disc that has lpcm audio using Dvdfabblurayripper and lower the GB rate but keep the lpcm audio and hd quality video? If that is what you are saying please describe in detail the steps one by one. Garry, I'll be waiting to read your results after you do some testing.
            Everyone please remember my main goal was to keep the hd audio with hd video but shrink to the smallest GB rate. I have no problem with discs that are DTSMA or DolbyTrue hd. My problem surfaces with discs that have LPCM audio.
            Thanks again to all.
            As long as your file player is compatible with m2ts files ;not mkv specifically [can add chapters later to emulate the chapters mkv retains but its clunky on playback] uncle certainly can shrink the file and keep the lossless .

Just open say 8.1.6.3 and select m2ts from the dropdown on the left ; then hit edit and up the top from the profiles select m2ts audiocopy ;either fast; normal or hi quality . normal is a good compromise . Ignore any profile that says ac3 or 3d active /polarised etc . To keep it fast select 1 pass further down or 2 pass if you want the highest quality reading .

Then go to the file size/ bit rate area and use either of the slider/ pointers to shrink things . I usually tick the file size as it gives a good readout on the file size [natch ] and for a good quality file go down to about 14000bytes to be safe -not much lower ; just divide by 1000 and that gives the rough gb size. Higher quality add a few gbs ..

After you have finished with the edit page pick a target folder on the main page to send the file too . It is quicker using bd copy then video converter but I do it all at once dumping the file on my hard drive then picking either my nas or other hdd to send it to ;helps with organisation. Wears the disc drive out but no problems yet ..

Once you have discarded any audio tracks ; pcm is a real space hog so get rid of as much as you can live without then just hit start . If you download mediainfo [freeware ;donations appreciated] you will be able to see exactly what you have . LPCM 5.1 multichannel will be identified as 5.1 big endian ; strange name I know
            Ime redoing kill bill vol1 as Ime typing and its about 7 hrs on my dual core 2.3 windows 7 but would be less than 2 probably if I just selected passthrough ;its a short movie - 111 minutes . Any other questions feel free ; just add passthrough doesnt alter the codec so if fab identifies a vc1 disc or a mpeg or a avc disc thats what you will end up with . I convert all mine to avc as thats what my oppo will play easily but you probably have different needs .
            Last edited by cwt; 02-24-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Just FYI, PCM or LPCM is uncompressed audio, and not HD Audio
              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

The QA Team is trying to duplicate the problem with PCM/LPCM audio streams.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Just FYI, PCM or LPCM is uncompressed audio, and not HD Audio
                  Ipopov50,
                  I understand that. If a blu ray disc has an lpcm track on it. It usually is the highest quality audio track offered. That's what I want to duplicate in my rips.
                  I knew my terminology wasn't correct but most disc don't have both DTSMA/DolbyTRuhd and a LCPM track. Hence my lumping together that a LCPM track was hd audio. It's still a higher quality than say a lossy DTS 5.1 or Ac3 track.
                  Last edited by unclebubbies; 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Ipopov50,
                    I understand that. If a blu ray disc has an lpcm track on it. It usually is the highest quality audio track offered. That's what I want to duplicate in my rips.
                    I knew my terminology wasn't correct but most disc don't have both DTSMA/DolbyTRuhd and a LCPM track. Hence my lumping together that a LCPM track was hd audio. It's still a higher quality than say a lossy DTS 5.1 or Ac3 track.
                    On the subject of lpcm uncle - to put it in another way to better explain - dolby and dts use very sophisticated patented algorithms to compress it and dvdfab isnt that type of tool ;hence m2ts audiocopy or passthrough are ideal and any profile that mixdowns to ac3 dd cant be used .

If you havent any luck with 8.1.6.3 try 8.0.8.5 ;it may be more in tune with earlier discs . I have had no problems doing kung fu hustle [cantonese 5.1] again with 8.1.6.3 so if you have it or a more modern release give it a burl

Comment

I think CWT is on to it Unc. I read somewhere that lpcm is not compatible with mkv so that pretty much answers a few questions. Sorry I didn't get to do any testing for you (got seriously drunk Friday night) but interested to see how you go trying this latest method of CWT. Sounds like a winner to me. I would be pretty certain your AIOS would handle m2ts playback.

Comment

CWT, Tried your method using M2ts. No audio would play on the Aios or even on my computer. Must have done something wrong. Only had time to try it once this weekend. I will give it another try soon. My Aios gave me the notice
                        " unknown audio not supported"

Comment

CWT, Tried your method using M2ts. No audio would play on the Aios or even on my computer. Must have done something wrong. Only had time to try it once this weekend. I will give it another try soon. My Aios gave me the notice
                          " unknown audio not supported"
                          Have a look in its manual to check its compatible with lossy and lossless codecs uncle ." unknown audio not supported" has in the past for me using dnla meant having to use a dnla server to transcode the audio but its easier for you just to check what files and codecs it plays directly from your hard drive Oppo implemented dolbytruehd with a firmware so I got rid of the transcoding..

If your computer is running windows media player Ime not surprised it wont play lossless ; mine wont either needs a plugin or something ? . Run the m2ts file with mediainfo ;it will confirm the lossless if its there

Comment

Hello Uncle. You seem to have gone off the boil with this problem but I thought I would post this info for anyone else with this problem. I bought a copy of "Everything must go" and was surprised to see it had an lpcm soundtrack. Anyway here was my chance to try out conversion. Trying to convert to MKV was an instant failure > FAB failed as soon as I set it to run. So saying I tried the m2ts audio copy method as previously described and it worked fine. The only problem I had with it was that it would not play over my network to my WDTV live player > I had to copy it to USB HDD and connect direct to the WD then no problem. The other issue is there is no compression involved with this method so you end up with pretty much a 1 to 1 copy (same size as original)

A further investigation on Google revealed that there is software available to convert lpcm audio to mkv but apparently there are not many players that will support this format. Another option is to strip the lpcm sountrack and convert to flac but this is something I have not investigated with FAB at this stage although I understand there is freeware out there that will do it (DOS based > YUK)

Comment

I'm Back! Haven't had a lot of time to do tests. I did manage to get a succesful rip from my hdd to m2ts that played fine on my Aios. Just like you said Garry that it was almost a 1: 1 comparison. No compression. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I could just make a back up disc in that case. Know what I mean! I've been having a problem with the program on another subject that has kept me preoccupied. Keep getting an error when I try to compress a backup from 50 gb down to 25 gb. But I know I'll have to start another thread on that subject. There's always something isn't there! Anyway if anyone finds a way to compress a lpcm movie down and keep the audio and video hd quality I would appreciate an addition to this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X