Forced Subpicture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Subpicture

I also have the same trouble getting Forced Subpicture to actually do anything.

I am trying to rip the UK version of "The Thing (2011)"
    I always use mt2s.passthrough
    The default track selected is "800" - this is the main movie
    The default audio selected is "English" it has a blue arrow next to it and a tick in the audio box
    There are 4 "English" subtitles selected as default
    Each has a tick in them - but there is no blue arrow or anything similar
    I have tried selecting just the top subpicture (no blue arrow but a check in the subpicture) and then I rip
    The movie plays ok - it has the correct audio - but the subtitles do not display unless I specifically select them.
    If I specifically select them then I get subtitles for all the speech and not just the foreign (Norwegian) in this case.

It is quite frustrating because this is a feature I would really like to work
    My player is Netgear E9150 Digital Entertainer.

I enclose the following info from the drive
    Any help on what I am doing wrong or if this is just something that does not work would be much appreciated

Info for drive [D:\] (DVDFab 8.1.6.8)
    Vendor: HL-DT-ST
    Product: BD-RE BH10LS30
    Revision: 1.00
    Vendor specific: 
    Drive region control: RPC II
    Drive region: 2
    User changes left: 4
    Vendor resets left: 4
    AACS version: 1
    Number of concurrent AGIDs: 1
    Supports bus encryption: NO
    Supports binding nonce generation: YES

Disc media: Blu-ray
    Disc type: BDMV
    Volume name: THE_THING_2011_G51

AACS (Advanced Access Content System) protection is removed!
    AACS MKB version: 25
    Drive AACS revocation level: MKBv31 or higher
    BD+ protection is not found.

The disc contains Cinavia protection, you may not be able to play the backup copy/rip on certain players like PS3 (firmware 3.10 and up).
    You can create Protected Disc as backup with DVDFab "Blu-ray Copy" to disable Cinavia.

Java protection is removed by StealthyClone anti-protection.

nazarine

Which module are you using and what is your goal, to make a DVD or a m2ts file? You are in the Blu-ray to DVD forum, I guess I do not understand your goals clearly. In Blu-ray Copy, the steps you have taken should produce a BDMV folder or disc where the forced subs play correctly.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

sorry - i did not realise i had posted in the blu-ray to dvd

I am actually trying to make an untouched m2ts file for my nas drive using just m2ts.passthrough.

The resultant "The Thing.Title800.m2ts" file is what I want at the end so that I can copy this to my NAS drive and just play all my movies using my media streamer with no loss of quality from the original disk

I will never be trying to burn this file to another disk or anything - it is strictly for playback on the media streamer

Comment

sorry - forgot to mention - i am using Blu Ray Ripper

Comment

Posts moved to correct forum and its own thread.

Comment

I prefer to rip my blu-ray's to m2ts (passthrough) as i find i then have no issues when i play them via my WD, & Xtreamer media players. I have tested many rips & concluded that the "display forced subtitles only" makes no difference when ripping to m2ts. DVDFAB just collects all the subtitles as well (ie does not just pick out the forced ones).

Maybe after ripping the blu-ray to m2ts there is some other software i can then run the m2ts file through to edit the subtitles as required, but i am not botherred with this & wish it would work properly in the initial DVDFAB to
            m2ts (passthrough) rip.

Forced Subs do work though when i rip to MKV (re-mux, which is just the same as passthrough in relation to quality, but to a MKV file).

I am ok with MKV but i find each rip takes an extra approx 10m (compared to m2ts), & if i am going to have a little glitch in playback it will always be a MKV this happens with & never a m2ts file.

So in summary, if i need the forced subtitle option i rip to MKV. If this is not required i rip to m2ts. I wish forced subs worked when ripping to m2ts though.

I have tested several movies that do have forced subtitles & the above is what i always find.

Comment

thanks for the tip on MKV johno - I will try this in the short term until the m2ts.passthrough option works as we require

Comment

just incase you did not see this yet.....

some movies have "forced subs" like we have been talking about.

But, some on the other hand also have a "stand alone" stream which just contain the foreign talk. Being a complete stand alone stream, they are not forced subtitles, but it would be the blu-ray player (menu) that defaults to this particular stream via the menu.

So in this case you need to select the correct stream, & NOT select forced subs.

As an example, i bought The Debt this week. Before ripping to my HDD, i always wack it in my blu-ray player to sus out how the subs (if required) might work. For this movie (my region anyway) i noticed the movie defaulted on English subtitle stream 16 (I think..). So when i ripped it i just selected that same stream, & did not select forced. So for this type of structure i still ripped to m2ts as i just wanted a particular subtitle stream.

If i did this to MKV, & ticked forced, i would have got ZERO subtitles as they are not "flagged" as forced as such.

Comment

another excellent tip.

I found with "The Thing" that of the 4 subtitles, the 4th one was the Norwegian speech and I could select this one in m2ts.passthrough and it worked exactly as I wanted

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Working...
                  X