Whats the best encoding for blurays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Whats the best encoding for blurays

I have a quick question. I have been ripping my blurays with DVDFab Bluray->DVD because I wanted to keep the space down. It occurred to me last night that this may not give me the best size/quality ratio. So I thought I would ask around and see if encoding the movie in another format would give better quality and still shrink the bluray to around the same size (4-5GB)?

p.s. I apologize if this was asked before, I tried looking around and I didn't see a similar thread. If it has been asked before, could you provide a link?

Blu-ray to DVD encodes to MPEG-2 at normal DVD bitrates. While picture quality is subjective, I think you will find that using the BD-9 size output in Blu-ray Copy will give you the same size output using the more modern and efficient h264 codec. The same can be said for Blu-ray Ripper, using one of the profiles that uses h264 encoding (such as the iPhone4 1080 profile). A two-hour movie converted at 1280x720 using this profile looks better than a DVD and is about 3.5-3.9GB in size if you choose a good bitrate.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Couldn't agree more with my good friend signals.
      BD9 yields very good results, while BD5 is a bit extreme for my taste.

There are subjective factors (my eyes and ears are 63 years old...lol) as well as many hardware related factors.
      For eg., viewing on a 61" HD Pioneer is very different from viewing on a 32" HD Samsung...just as a slow drama is different from an action-packed flick.

I tend to use an mkv.h264.audiocopy profile for many BD's.
      For action flicks I keep the bitrate up toward 15,000 kbps.

An example, I converted True Grit (Jeff Bridges flick) from an original ~27 GB (main movie) to about 11-12 GB.
      I cannot tell the difference.
      While it's not the reduction you're talking, it yields amazing results.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

An mkv ripping with VARIABLE BITRATE could be the best overall option to keep best video quality and mantain low file size.
        I hope that someday this will be implemented ... cross fingers.

Comment

Working...
        X