No announcement yet.

Ripping Overheating My Cpu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Ripping Overheating My Cpu?

I've been using the Blu-Ray ripper for a while now, I think I bought the it over the winter. Unfortunately there's a heat wave going on here at the moment and when I'm ripping movie's my cpu temperature will go from 108F to 170F in a few minutes and when it hits 175F the temperature alarm will start to go off.

My computer is an i7 960 (socket 1366) with 12gb of ram and I can see that fabcores is pretty much maxing out all four cores to get the job done as fast as possible. Under normal circumstances that's great and I appreciate how fast DVDFab ripps but is there any way to have DVDFab pace itself a little to lower CPU usage? Even if it takes twice as long, I can live with that during the summer months.

Thanks,

- Norm

Yes, share the load with your GPU if you have one that works, and turn off the controls for "Turbo CPU" in DVDFab Settings->DVD/Blu-ray Ripper->Convert. It is a checkbox at the top of the page. If that is not enough, also disable "Lightning Recoding" in Settings->General->A/V Codec. It is also a checkbox.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ripping Overheating

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Yes, share the load with your GPU if you have one that works, and turn off the controls for "Turbo CPU" in DVDFab Settings->DVD/Blu-ray Ripper->Convert. It is a checkbox at the top of the page. If that is not enough, also disable "Lightning Recoding" in Settings->General->A/V Codec. It is also a checkbox.
      This particular computer has a Geforce 275 based graphics card and I do have DVDFab set to use CUDA and h264 hardware decoding/encoding if available.

I did turn off "Turbo CPU" and my cpu seems to be alternating at temperatures in the 120F to 140F which is manageable.

Just fyi, I'm not using the stock heatsink but a good Thermaltake cooler and with Turbo CPU turned off I'm getting about 13fps; if I recall I generally get about 40 to 45 fps maximum with it turned on.

Thanks for the help!

- Norm

Comment

Try using CUDA only for encoding, my old laptop had a GT 230M and I got better speed not using the GPU for both. 13fps is really slow, see if you can improve the airflow. Good luck with it.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ripping Overheating

Ok, under A/V codec I had all video decoder options set to CUDA; so what options should I set that to? Under video encoder h.264 the setting is for Software +cuda?

I have a pretty good case an Antec DF-35 with two 120mm front fans; top fan, rear fan and side fan; it's just that my first floor doesn't have air conditioning and in the hot weather it's not uncommon for it to hit 100F.

Thanks,

- Norm

Comment

Wow, that's hot! With an ambient temp like that you may get overheating no matter what you do. Try going into DVDFab Settings and disable Turbo CPU and Lightning Recoding as I think I suggested in another thread. This will be slow but cooler.

Comment

I frequently run DVDFab along with at least 2 other major tasks, 1 of the other tasks is also cpu intensive, the other is not. I run an overclocked i7-920 homebrew system under 64-bit Vista. I control heating and cpu hogs, by setting the Affinity option in the Task Manager. This allows me to limit the cores each process has access to... and thus prevents overheating. Because this is a continuous issue for me, I permanently run a cpu temp monitor program, to make sure nothing is amiss, and I recently installed a hard disc monitor program as well (it checks the HD temps as well as a bunch of other stats). System monitoring and control is a worthwhile effort.

Comment

Working...
              X