Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Here's some help with 'Forced Subtitles' for Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray

Hi all - I have been racking my brains to find the solution to ensure that when you 'Rip' one of the Extended Cuts of any of the 'Lord of the Rings' Blu-Ray disks the translated Elvish language is rendered to the video output correctly. The problem was 2 fold, firstly the translated Elvish is NOT a 'Forced Subtitle' on the disks, and secondly, Peter Jackson decided that the subtitles would be displayed both on the image being displayed as well as below on the bottom black bar at the foot of the screen under the video.

So the solution is.......

1. After the Blu-ray has been imported into DVDfab, you need to set the 'Aspect Ratio' for your output to a 16:9 Format. This should be either 640x368, 848x480, 1280x720 or 1920x1088 depending on your device and the output you require (This is imperative; if you do not have your output in a 16:9 format it will not display the translated subtitles at all) - (Your video output will display exactly the same on your device as if you had selected a 2:35:1 format, DVDFab will just decode the top and bottom 'Black Bars' too!

2. You then need to disable 'Auto Cropping' under the "Video Edit" function - make sure you tick the 'Disable' box

3. You then need to select the 2nd English "Sub-picture" in the list ONLY........ DO NOT tick 'Display only Forced Subpicture" (This is because the translated Elvish is a normal subtitle, and not a Forced Subtitle)

Then you are good to go..... (along with any other settings of your own preference)

Hope that was of use.

Hans

PS - Haven't checked this with the Extended cut DVDs....but I guess the same would apply - Post here if you know any different !
    Last edited by hans302; 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM. Reason: Additional advice

hans302

That is good detective work. Translation subtitles are accomplished differently on every disc it seems. Note: it looks to me that step 1) in your guide will crop picture content from the sides of the image. To preserve the original image, it might work better to use manual cropping and include the lower black bar. I am on a trip and don't have that disc with me, so I can't try it. It would be great to have a fix in DVDFab to automatically reposition the subs if they would be rendered outside the image due to cropping.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes - Using the manual cropping tool is probably best, just don't try to use the customise cropping tool, as DVDFab will just Auto Crop the Black Bars out even if you attempt to try and include them.

Now going to try and figure out how to get the same result on the extended cut of 'Avatar' Blu-Ray so that the translated 'Navi' language is rendered correctly. This has proven to be a little bit more tricky !!!

Regards

Hans

Comment

The "navispeak" renders correctly from the version of the disc that I have, but it was done at the time of release with an older version of DVDFab.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I'm using the latest version of DVDFab (8.1.8.5) and try as I might can't find a way to get the translated "NAVI" subtitles to render at all.

I've tried all of the connotations there are. The disk is DISK 1 from "AVATAR The Extended Collector's Edition" Blu-Ray. (EAN - 5039036045865)

Interested to know if anyone has found the solution to this?

Regards

Hans

Comment

Originally posted by hans302 View Post
            PS - Haven't checked this with the Extended cut DVDs....but I guess the same would apply - Post here if you know any different !
            I used your information to get my subs figured out on this, and I have the extended versions too. So first, thanks for the help and as far as anything different, I found that all I had to do was select the second english audio stream. first I did the cropping thing, but when I did it inconsistently over two discs I started over. Found I didn't have to mess with the cropping at all.

hope it helps some people in the future as it's helped me.

Comment

Did you get the extras to work and how

Comment

Check the dates. This thread is almost 8 years old, there will be no reply. Please start a new thread if you are having a problem with Avatar and provide more details about the problem and the version of the disc that you have (country, special edition, etc).

Comment

Working...
                X