8.1.9.6 Forced subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper 8.1.9.6 Forced subtitles

I've been using 8.1.9.6 with Blu-Ray DVDs, with the m2ts.audiocopy profiles, forced subtitles selected and the direct render to video option. It's worked great on a number of previously troublesome Blu-Rays. I recently tried the same thing on a regular DVD and while DVDfab allowed me to select the direct render to video option, it doesn't appear to work properly. I never saw any subtitles on the completed video rip and I never saw any time stamps in the DVDfab processing window, like I do with the Blu-Ray ripper. Is this suppoed to work or something which is being implemented in the future. I am testing with the Flowers of War DVD. If I play the DVD directly from the hard drive folder, the ubtitles are there.

Here are the logs:

DVDFab 8.1.9.6 (2012/07/24 10:52:59)

0m 09.78s: GPUAccelerate: 16391
    0m 09.78s: CUDA cap: 0
    0m 09.78s: Support coreavc decode: 1
    0m 09.78s: Graphics info: RDPDD Chained DD : :
    0m 09.78s: Qt Translator file load success
    0m 10.04s: Load config successful.
    0m 10.54s: Init profile data driver sucessful.
    0m 19.20s: Init GPU settings sucessful.
    0m 19.21s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2dvd 1 file2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 19.21s: dvd2dvd:dvd2mobile:blu-ray2blu-ray:blu-ray2mobile:blu-ray23d:blu-ray2dvd:file2mobile:file2dvd:file2bluray:
    0m 22.86s: Config ExBar successful.
    0m 22.86s: dvd2dvd have 8 elements.
    0m 24.16s: dvd2mobile have 29 elements.
    0m 32.74s: blu-ray2blu-ray have 4 elements.
    0m 33.15s: blu-ray2mobile have 18 elements.
    0m 38.85s: blu-ray23d have 7 elements.
    0m 40.93s: blu-ray2dvd have 1 elements.
    0m 41.21s: file2mobile have 28 elements.
    0m 49.73s: file2dvd have 1 elements.
    0m 50.04s: file2bluray have 1 elements.
    0m 50.73s: Config work ui controls successful.
    0m 53.69s: Init burn engine successful.
    0m 54.10s: StartNotify successful.
    0m 54.13s: opening drive X
    0m 25.12s: opening folder V:/DVD Images/FLOWERS_OF_WAR/VIDEO_TS/
    0m 25.48s: pathplayer enabled
    0m 29.41s: WorkAttr::Init Start
    0m 29.54s: WorkAttr::Init OK: m2ts.audiocopy.normal
    0m 44.90s: Zhuo.Jia >> CallConfigDialog
    0m 04.52s: Zhuo.Jia >> CallConfigDialog
    0m 45.46s:

------ begin mobile work(1/1) ------

0m 45.46s: info: create config(0)
    0m 45.46s: info: convert profile(m2ts.audiocopy.normal)
    0m 45.46s: info: dvd playlist(1),angle(0),chapter(1->17),3D(0)
    0m 45.46s: info: streams((480.2)(128.1)(32.8))
    0m 45.47s: info: set output video frame_rate(24000/1001)
    0m 45.47s: info: subpicture preset(1), mode(1)
    0m 46.58s: info: h264_encode: encode param profile(2) level(41) bitrate(12000)
    0m 50.67s: info: subpicture(32) mode(1)
    0m 50.68s: info: connect to sub render filter
    0m 54.83s: display only forced subs now 1
    0m 30.71s:

------ finish mobile work ------

I retested with 8.1.9.8 and see the same results. I am guessing that forced subtitles with direct render to video under the m2ts container is something which hasn't been implemented yet for DVD ripping but is in the profile. It works great for Blu-Rays. This is important for me because I convert all regular DVDs to m2ts so I have a common container for DVDs and Blu-Rays.

Comment

Make a short test conversion of only a couple of chapters without Display only forced selected to see if the problem is in the rendering or the decoding of the subs.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I can't duplicate this problem using v8.1.9.8 and the DVD of Angels&Demons and the m2ts.audiocopy profile. The capture shows the forced subs. Check the VOBs using DVDSubEdit to make sure the subs are actually forced.
        Attached Files
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the DVDSUbedit tool. With it I was able to find the issue. You are quite correct that the subtitles were not forced. With that tool I could see they weren't. What I found out was that there are two English subtitle tracks on the DVD. The first one has full subtitles and thus you get subtitles for everything. The second English track is the equivalent of a forced subtitle track in that it only has subtitles for the non-English sections but it is not flagegd as forced. So I took off the forced flag on DVDfab and selected the second English subtitle track and left render to video enabled and it worked perfect.

Comment

This is quite common on a lot of disks.....Unfortunately....

As a matter of course I always inspect and files/disk rips that I suspect with DVD Sub Edit first. It will read in subs from a MKV file also. (eg: Davinci Code, Angels & Demons, Ingolorious Bastards)

I'll reiterate my old saying... "The only standard that you can guarantee with Subtitle Authoring is that THERE IS NONE!!!"
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              "The only standard that you can guarantee with Subtitle Authoring is that THERE IS NONE!!!"
              Don't forget the corollary: The one you are doing now will be completely different from the last one that worked.

binkley:
              Get to know DVDSubEdit, it can also change normal subs to forced and vice versa, change their color, timing, placement on the screen and more.

Comment

Yeah, sorry Signals.

I forgot the corollary. Thanks for the reminder!!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                X