Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper what is "forced subpicture"

Hi , Just starting to use dvdfab...
    What is "forced subpicture" and do I need it checked ?

Generally, you do not need to use this checkbox.

"Forced" subs have a command that tells the player to display them regardless of other settings. They are used for many things but mostly for translation of spoken dialog that is a different language from the main audio stream, e.g. English subtitles in a French-made movie where all the audio dialog is in French. Examples of movies that use forced subs include Avatar, DaVinci Code, Angels&Demons and many more. WHen using DVD or Blu-ray Ripper, you generally would want these translations to appear in the output file, but not ALL of the subtitles for the spoken language that you understand, so you would put a check in the "Display only forced..." box and DVDFab would filter the subs so that only the translation (forced) ones are included and displayed during playback.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Avatar is one of the movies I will be ripping to mkv.
      So should i check the "forced subpicture " for that one ?
      Another movie I have is "Snatch"
      In that movie Brad Pitt speaks using local slang and sub-titles appear under the picture. Do I need forced sub picture for that as well ??

Thanks...

Comment

Yes for Avatar (for the Navi speech) and probably the other one as well. The trick is that you need to know which stream contains the forced subs so that you can check only that stream for processing (if you check more than one sub stream, the Direct Render to Video option will not appear). Use the DVDFab preview window. Play the movie and right click on the window to select one subpicture stream at a time until you find the one with the translations, then put a checkmark in the stream selector box and the Display only forced box. De-select any other sub streams. In most cases (but not all!) the forced subs are mixed in with the main dialog subs and will be filtered out by the Only Forced function.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
        X