DVD's fail to load - "failed to send challenge" -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD's fail to load - "failed to send challenge" -

A few weeks ago I started getting a problem that DVDFab will no longer access any (or it seems) DVD, each time the error log reports "failed to send challenge".

Basically when the DVD is inserted into the drive, Passkey opens it just fine and DVDFab starts up. After it starts, the blue dialog box that shows its accessing the drive pops up for a few seconds then simply disappears. DVDFab never progresses past this point to show the title selections.

The error log shows:

DVDFab 8.1.8.5 (2012/09/24 21:34:12)

0m 01.02s: GPUAccelerate: 3
    0m 01.02s: CUDA cap: 0
    0m 01.02s: Support coreavc decode: 0
    0m 01.02s: Graphics info: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 : :
    0m 01.03s: Qt Translator file load success
    0m 01.07s: Load config successful.
    0m 01.17s: Init profile data driver sucessful.
    0m 04.08s: Init GPU settings sucessful.
    0m 04.08s: option dvd2dvd 0 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2dvd 1 file2bluray 1 file2mobile 0 filemover 0
    0m 04.09s: dvd2dvd:dvd2mobile:blu-ray2blu-ray:blu-ray2mobile:blu-ray23d:blu-ray2dvd:file2mobile:file2dvd:file2bluray:
    0m 04.41s: Config ExBar successful.
    0m 04.41s: dvd2dvd have 8 elements.
    0m 04.53s: dvd2mobile have 29 elements.
    0m 05.66s: blu-ray2blu-ray have 4 elements.
    0m 05.71s: blu-ray2mobile have 18 elements.
    0m 06.38s: blu-ray23d have 7 elements.
    0m 06.66s: blu-ray2dvd have 1 elements.
    0m 06.70s: file2mobile have 28 elements.
    0m 06.71s: file2dvd have 1 elements.
    0m 06.74s: file2bluray have 1 elements.
    0m 07.09s: Config work ui controls successful.
    0m 07.17s: Init burn engine successful.
    0m 07.22s: StartNotify successful.
    0m 07.23s: got media type 4
    0m 07.55s: got max lba 3715668
    0m 07.59s: drive E
    0m 07.59s: type DVD-VIDEO
    0m 07.59s: volume label I_ROBOT_SPECIAL_EDITION_DISC_1
    0m 07.75s: failed to send challenge: sensekey 00 asc 00 acsq 00
    0m 07.95s: failed to send challenge: sensekey 00 asc 00 acsq 00
    0m 08.15s: failed to send challenge: sensekey 00 asc 00 acsq 00
    0m 08.35s: failed to open disc 203

Prior to this I've ripped over 100 DVD's without problems, now even DVD's I've done previously fail to load.

So far I have tried (in no particular order):

- Clean install of DVDFab 8.2.1.2
    - Clean install of DVDFab 8.1.8.5
    - Clean install of Passkey 8.0.7.4
    - Clean install of Passkey 8.0.6.6
    - Using a completely new DVD drive
    - Installing it onto a completely different PC
    - System restore, winding Windows back to before the last successful rip
    - Disabling lightning-recoding
    - Disabling all GPU codecs
    - Disabling Turbo CPU.
    - Autoplay on and off
    and variants of all of the above

The only thing I can think of so far is that this seems to start when I tried the Trial version of the Blu-ray Ripper (but those no longer start either)

This is on a quad-core PC with 6GB memory, running Windows 7.

It's probably something really dumb but I'm getting really fed up with this now. Can someone suggest what might be wrong?

This error means DVDFab is not communicating with your drive at all. Check data cable and connections tight. The drive laser might have bit the dust?

Try a new data cable?
    Last edited by 90312; 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      This error means DVDFab is not communicating with your drive at all. Check data cable and connections tight. The drive laser might have bit the dust?

Try a new data cable?
      Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately that's a no go. Movie plays just fine using Windows Media Player so the data cable must be ok. Swapped data cable just to be sure though and still same (lack of) response

Comment

You have any virtual drive software installed? Or packet writing software?
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. The only recent change was the addition of a Blu-ray drive and associated driver but since the problems started I removed that drive and did a system restore back to several weeks ago which should have undone any driver changes.

Also odd that Passkey appears quite happy to read the DVD unless I'm reading the log wrong....

DVDFabPasskey 8.0.7.4 (2012/09/25 15:36:21)

69m 17.46s: opening drive E
          69m 17.46s: opened i/o
          69m 17.49s: got media type 4
          69m 17.80s: got max lba 3715668
          69m 17.85s: type DVD-VIDEO
          69m 17.85s: volume label I_ROBOT_SPECIAL_EDITION_DISC_1
          69m 18.77s: got copyright 1 fd
          69m 19.39s: got udf/iso
          69m 20.77s: got discinfo
          69m 20.77s: pathplayer disabled 0
          69m 22.40s: got dvdinfo
          69m 22.40s: opened dvd
          73m 49.92s: opening drive E
          73m 49.92s: opened i/o
          73m 49.94s: got media type 4
          73m 50.33s: got max lba 3715668
          73m 50.38s: type DVD-VIDEO
          73m 50.38s: volume label I_ROBOT_SPECIAL_EDITION_DISC_1
          73m 51.42s: got copyright 1 fd
          73m 52.03s: got udf/iso
          73m 53.40s: got discinfo
          73m 53.40s: pathplayer disabled 0
          73m 54.90s: got dvdinfo
          73m 54.90s: opened dvd

NB: Might not be for exactly the same run as the Ripper log was for but result always looks the same...

Comment

Hi showl
            According to your logs, you are using the trial of DVD Fab or your registration has expired.
            Open Fab click the ? click the about, what does it say under the options that you have purchased....

If you have purchased Fab and the key did not stick, please go here http://www.dvdfab.com/member.htm create an account if you have not been here before, remember to use the e-mail that you used when you purchased Fab

Also make sure that Path player is enabled in Fab and also Passkey.

Open Fab Click the Green top right > Protection > Path Player click Always Enabled click OK restart Fab and try again.

For Passkey right click the Passkey icon bottom left, Path Player click Always Enabled.

Do not run Passkey and DVD Fab together, they are both decrypter's and will be fighting on which one is going to open the disc.
            CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Key advice from CBR929: don't run Passkey and DVDFab at the same time.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, that's got it sorted. Apologies was unable to re-test until now.

I have managed to prove that running DVDFab and Passkey at the same time does create the problem. What's interesting about that is I've had the two running side by side for over a year with no problems at all. The race-condition obviously wasn't showing itself until something else on the PC changed and then it started failing. Guess I'll never know what changed.

Just to quickly follow up on the point about the license. I've got one but after I had reinstalled the software about 5 times in the same day I got fed up setting the license as it wasn't helping get the problem solved. Obviously running with the license now it's sorted.

So thanks very much. Now if I could just figure out why Star Wars occassionally stutters on an MP4 rip, I'd be sorted!

Comment

Hi showl
                  Glad it's working for you now.
                  Maybe try the new Fab9 found here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=18977 or a older version 8085 found here Download Now>>

Post back with results.
                  CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X