Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Advise needed ...

Dear folks, I need some help on this.

My setup: a few XBMC's in the household, quite a few on a server ... works brilliant. Now, I recently bought a bunch of BluRay's (Amazon offer). I have a decent (stand-alone) player but would prefer to have those BD on the server. Size doesn't really matter. I made some tests with the current trial version of DVDFab which I'm interested in buying - the full version with life-time support. Two options I found so far: BluRay-Rip (preferred MKV) or BluRay-Copy (in my case: to HD). The first one works pretty good, I managed to convert (two way pass with highest transfer-rate) 'How to train your dragon' in under two hours, which would be very acceptable. The direct comparison of the rip (running in VLC) and the original (running in PowerDVD) on the same screen (flipping back and forth) showed that the rip doesn't quite match the original quality. Some details (hairs) are missing and a bit of 'noise' is noticeable. The next try was a full rip of the main movie to the HD, roughly 25GB. I expect the 'original' quality. The problem is, XBMC (11.0) doesn't play it properly. Not only that it starts somewhere in the middle of the movie, it also shows - presumably at every scene change - very strange colours. It almost looks like vertical colour lines, but only covering portions of the screen. Also, VLC has this problem.

Now, I really would like to go on with this BluRay issue but don't know in which direction to go. Advise is needed.

Thanks.

Hi real_skydiver
    Your post has been edited.
    Please read this before posting again Observance of Copyright Laws in the DVDFab Forums
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Which MKV profille did you use in Ripper? I would suggest mkv.remux, which provides the unaltered (not decoded and re-encoded) video from the original disc. If it looks different from VLC to PowerDVD it may be the difference in the decoders. Test the two with something that plays both, like DVDFab Media Player or TMT5 so that it's apples to apples.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have found that using VLC to preview some of my rips results in a fuzzy or pixelated screen, but when using DVD Fab Media player and also Media Player Classic on the same rips the picture is much clearer.
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick response and the ideas. I tried 'mkv.remux' and I'm very happy with the quality. However, I noticed (some of) the same problems as on the full rip: on scene changes it shows those strange colors (sometimes almost like a negative). Other than that I would be very happy with this solution.

Comment

Working...
          X