This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duo-core or quad-core?

Hi. Hoping the more "tech-savy" of you out there could help me out. Thinking about buying a new computer and trying to decide on getting a duo-core or quad-core processor. Which is better for video conversion? A duo-core with a higher GHz (2.66 or 3.06) or a quad core with a lower GHz (1.73)? I've heard that the quad-core really only comes into play if/when you want to run other programs/applications while another one is running at the same time, but if you just plan on running your video conversion program and leaving it, the duo-core with the higher GHz is better. Anyone know more about this? Would appreciate any information. Thanks...

2 - 4 - 6 -8 core and more which is best for your use Read this it will help you get rid of the headache trying to decide.

link to article

48 core on youtube

ReadMeToo®
    Last edited by ReadMeToo®; 12-13-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

My opinions is just one of many out there, but go with a quad core and don’t look back! I have one of each and the difference is amazing especially if you ever plan to do movies for a PSP, iPod or avi using h.264. The quad cores come into play big time!
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

More is better, go with the most quad core you can afford, then memory. I just ordered parts for my "Ripper II" yesterday, here is what I got:

INTEL Core i5-750 (BX80605I5750) 2.66ghz processor w/8mb cache socket 1156 retail boxed w/cooling fan (3 years warranty)

ASUS P7P55-M LGA1156 Intel P55 micro ATX motherboard 1xPCI-E(x16)/2xPCI-E(x1)/1xPCI/4xDDR3/SATA2 Raid/Lan(gb)

2x KINGSTON KVR1333D3N9/2G ValueRAM 2GB 2048MB 240-pin pc3-10600 DDR3 1333mhz DIMM desktop memory module

ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M/V2 GeForce 8400GS 512MB GDDR2 pci-e 2.0 x16 hdcp ready video card

SEAGATE ST3500641AS 500GB SATA 7200rpm 16mb hard drive

LITE ON iHAS324-98 Black SATA 24X CD / DVD Burner

APEVIA X-QPACK2-NW-BK/500 (black) micro ATX w/500w power supply 2x5.25 1x3.5 2x3.5(hidden) w/front i/o connectors 80mm fan x 1 & 120mm fan x 1

Windows 7 OEM 64Bit

I've been spending so much time with my single core 512MB machine I am looking forward to putting this through it's "DVDFab" paces, since that is all that this machine will run.
        I'm a PC and I play Poker

Comment

How much did all that cost you, Monkey? In US$?

All screwed together or are you going to do that yourself?
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            How much did all that cost you, Monkey? In US$?

All screwed together or are you going to do that yourself?
            $650 and I am going to screw it together myself. No biggie since I ran a clone shop here in Dallas for 4 years.
            I'm a PC and I play Poker

Comment

Okay; so i'm getting "go for the quad"; got it. I think thats what i'll get then. Just another quick question so I can try to understand the dynamics going on here. Is the listed GHz "per core" or "total"? Meaning - Does a 1.73 GHz quad-core beat out a 3.06 duo-core because the quad-core combines to 1.73 x 4 (6.92 GHz), vs 3.06 x 2 (7.20 GHz) for the duo-core? One would think the 3.06 GHz beats out the 1.73 GHz, unless they would combine/multiply in some fashion (per core). And even then, wouldn't the multiplied quad-core (6.92 GHz) still get beat out by the multiplied duo-core (7.20 GHz)? Unless it still all comes back to the quad-core being able to multi-task better (due to 4 cores instead of 2) and run more programs at the same time? Does that even come into play during video conversion if you are using only one program?
              Last edited by Complication; 12-24-2009, 08:50 PM. Reason: removed bold italic

Comment

I've been using a "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz, 2992 MHz" for the last 2+ yrs. Works VERY Good

If I had the money and were building a NEW puter, I would go with this:

XFX X58i Core i7 LGA1366 Barebone Kit - Intel Core i7 920 CPU 2.66GHz, 12GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Full-Tower Case, 750 Watt PSU

Or something similar using a i7 CPU.

Merry Xmas !!!
                Last edited by AlienX69; 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM.
                AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

entropy,

This may be a bit of an over simplification but it is the best I can come up with to explain the process. The clock speed does not multiply but more work can be accomplished in one CPU cycle. It's like pouring water into a bucket through a funnel, the quad core does not increase to four funnels into one bucket but rather four funnels into four buckets simultaneously. The water pours at the same speed but four times the work is accomplished in the same time period. None of this really matters if the code you are running is not written for SMT (simultaneous multithreading). More and more software is being written this way so the quad is the way to go for the future of computing.
                  How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

In addition to the good advice you've received so far, make sure the CPU and motherboard support a high front side bus speed (1066 MHz) and DDR3 RAM. The video card should support CUDA and have 1 GB of dedicated DDR3 RAM also. You can double check in the Knowledge Base forum to make sure the video card works well with DVDFab. One of the moderatrors (Maineman) just built an i7 desktop and I think a GT220 or 240 video card that runs mobile conversions at 500 FPS. Don't multitask while doing video for best performance.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                      Don't multitask while doing video for best performance.
                      Is running 8 sessions of DVD Shrink at the same time considered multi-tasking ...
                      AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                        entropy,

This may be a bit of an over simplification but it is the best I can come up with to explain the process. The clock speed does not multiply but more work can be accomplished in one CPU cycle. It's like pouring water into a bucket through a funnel, the quad core does not increase to four funnels into one bucket but rather four funnels into four buckets simultaneously. The water pours at the same speed but four times the work is accomplished in the same time period. None of this really matters if the code you are running is not written for SMT (simultaneous multithreading). More and more software is being written this way so the quad is the way to go for the future of computing.

Actually, thats makes good sense and does answer my question - despite my bad math (3.02x2 would be 6.12; not 7.20). So, they dont really "combine or multiply" as much as separately work in unison to put out the same amount of product as if they were combined; but also, being separated allows them to work on separate applications, as well.

Another forum I asked some questions on provided me that even if running one video-encoding program and nothing else, video-encoding programs are typicallu multi-threaded and would be definately be able to take advantage of a quad-core (better than a duo-core).

Thanks all for the for the advice and information. Also, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years...
                        Last edited by Complication; 12-24-2009, 08:49 PM. Reason: Removed the unneeded bold italic

Comment

Working...
                        X