No announcement yet.

Problems with James Bond 50 eu/uk, only the first three films & Paul & Definace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Problems with James Bond 50 eu/uk, only the first three films & Paul & Definace

Hey there,

I have been using DVDFab for quite some time now and it's very rare that I come across a problem that I cannot rectify.

I have ripped my entire dvd tv series/movies and Blu Ray movies to my externals for use with my media players as I hate having to fiddle about with discs.
    Around 800+ discs altogether, and I have only come up with a select few that simply will not rip properly for various reasons. Just 5 discs to be precise.

The bond rips will play on my pc via Fab player/VLC player etc.... but when I try to play them back on my med8er400X2 it states 'unsupported format' as it's trying to play out of it's pixel range....details below.....

All have been ripped using mkv.h264.audiocopy to retain the HD audio of course.

Firstly I have the first three films from the UK edition of the james bond set not going nice:
    • Dr. No
    • From Russia With Love
    • Goldfinger

All other bond discs in the set were ripped more or less flawless
    (though some went through at 1920x816 instead of 1920x1080, I have no idea why they converted like that, perhaps you could enlighten me)

With the Bond films, I can rip them, but it's an incorrect pixel ratio @1920x1150 instead of 1920x1080.

Had to use a camera to show you the dropdown as clicking on snipping tool obviously deselected dvdfab.

The other two are:
    • Defiance (uk)
    • Paul Extended (uk again)

These two simply will not read in a pc at all. They work fine in my ps3 and other blu ray players, but they will not read at all in any of the 7 pc systems I have access to.
    I'm not sure if it's a protection thing or what it is, but it's a right pain.

I would really appreciate some help and advice for the final discs of my collection.

Cheers.

The pixel sizes that you have mentioned are not unusual. They are caused by the aspect ratio that the original is composed at and Fab stripping out any black letterbox bars as they achieve nothing except add to the file size. Usually the aspect ratio is shown on the disk case.

eg 1:2.35 is one cinematic aspect ratio which translates to 1920 x 816

I have seen aspect ratios up to 1:2.45 which translates to 1920 x 784

Can't help on the 2 disks but have succesfully processed the AU version of Defiance.

Playing vs ripping is like apples vs onions! Inspect, check, clean, polish or return are the only options.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      The pixel sizes that you have mentioned are not unusual. They are caused by the aspect ratio that the original is composed at and Fab stripping out any black letterbox bars as they achieve nothing except add to the file size. Usually the aspect ratio is shown on the disk case.

eg 1:2.35 is one cinematic aspect ratio which translates to 1920 x 816

I have seen aspect ratios up to 1:2.45 which translates to 1920 x 784

Can't help on the 2 disks but have succesfully processed the AU version of Defiance.

Playing vs ripping is like apples vs onions! Inspect, check, clean, polish or return are the only options.
      Thanks for the reply.

Shame about Paul and Defiance, I have had them replaced about 4-5 times each, I was lucky to get them replaced that many times. That was over a 3-4 month period so I made sure I didnt have one from the same batch the last time.

I see what you mean about the aspect ratio, however I have now tried it again ripping as an mt2s file and I have sound but no picture from the first 3 bond discs.
      These are the discs that dvd fab recognises as 1920x1150. Since my tv is 1920x1080 the 1150 is too high a number to display.
      They play from the disc ok, but when ripped at 1920x1150 thats 170 pixels out of the 1080p that they are on disc and should be when ripped
      (or a bit less than 1080 as you said, as 1150 is simply too high for a 1080p display which the film is intended for)

So it's the 1150 bit that seems to be the problem, and I dont really want to go down to 1650xXXXX which is the next down.

So any views on that?

Cheers

Comment

Try going to the Edit function whilst on the video tab, customised size, add 1920 x 1080.

You can't do this to MT2S, only H264 Audiocopy.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Try going to the Edit function whilst on the video tab, customised size, add 1920 x 1080.

You can't do this to MT2S, only H264 Audiocopy.
          Ahh, didnt see that far into the menu system, not too intuitive for me

Looks like I might end up with black lines either side, but I'll give it a shot and see how it looks and hopefully not have any lip sync issues

Will report back in an hour or so

cheers

Comment

Set Cropping to AUTO...

Comment

Set Cropping to AUTO...
              It was set to auto I think, but the output still had small black bars either side, but no picture loss
              (not sure where that 1804x1080 came from )
              The video file played fine on my mede8er though, so the 1150 size must have been the culprit

Here are the settings I used -

Re size:

Crop set to auto:

The above is the setting I have ripped it in currently

Comment

Here's the re size if I click on the 1804x1080, it has even smaller margins, doesn't quite fill the frame to the sides. Seems no picture loss though

I'm not sure what else to do here, to get it to fill the entire frame. I'm going to rip it again @ 1080p double checking the auto is set on and see if I still get the borders left and right unless you think that the 1804x1080 is the crop that fab uses without losing any of the image?

Comment

I am in the process of watching this set also. The authoring or aspect ratio on Goldfinger is odd, it seems to be pillarboxed.

IMDB reports the aspect ratio to be 1.37:1 for Goldfinger. Try adding that to the output sizes list for no black bars.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Did you mean 1:1.67?

1:1.37 would be 1480 x 1080 (modulus 4)
                    1:1.67 would be 1804 x 1080 (modulus 4)

Definitely weird authoring....

Comment

Yes, very odd. It is listed as 1.37 at IMDB.com, and I think that's about right, it barely seemed widescreen. These are the most amazing restorations, the image quality is astounding--not a speck of dust.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

We will check this issue asap, thanks for your report.
                        DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                        http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

This problem fixed in our testing build, will release a new beta verion.
                          Please download it when it is out.

Comment

The new v9.0.2.7 Beta is out now, please try it. This fix should work for Dr. No, From Russia with Love and Goldfinger.

Comment

Hi, have the latest updates removed this fix. I copied the first eight of the James Bond 50, and none of them work. These are straight archives, not rips, and they don't play. When I use BD lite, I get an image, but no sound.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X