Setting limiting CPU's not functional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Setting limiting CPU's not functional

Hi - I'm having some thermal issues on my PC and need to limit DVDFab to using 4 of my i7's CPUs. In the settings there is a drop down that I had set to "4", but I went to do a rip today after upgrading to the newest release (9.0.3.7) and DVDFab was pegging out all 8 CPUs. Setting the drop down to "3" also seems to use all the CPUs. If I set the drop down to "2", then it seems to use only 1 CPU. So something seems broken on the CPU limiting.

I'm not sure when this started, I tried to go back to a previous release and the install gets stuck - is there a trick other than doing a complete un-install?

thanks, Larry

What operation are you performing that's maxing out the CPUs.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Just about anything in Ripper maxes out all 8 of mine, which suits me fine.

LarryM04, have you also UNchecked Turbo CPU in Settings?
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by LarryM04 View Post
        Hi - I'm having some thermal issues on my PC and need to limit DVDFab to using 4 of my i7's CPUs. In the settings there is a drop down that I had set to "4", but I went to do a rip today after upgrading to the newest release (9.0.3.7) and DVDFab was pegging out all 8 CPUs. Setting the drop down to "3" also seems to use all the CPUs. If I set the drop down to "2", then it seems to use only 1 CPU. So something seems broken on the CPU limiting.

I'm not sure when this started, I tried to go back to a previous release and the install gets stuck - is there a trick other than doing a complete un-install?

thanks, Larry
        Hi, LarryM04

Try this method and see if it works for you. Start by encoding in a way you would normally do; however once program has started do not make any adjustment within program. Instead use task manager and navigate to processes tab and look for dvdfab core.exe or one within high cpu usage and right click and choose set affinity. Once you click it, new windows will open and ask which processors it should execute on or use. At this stage you can limit how many are allowed. However once program is closed (no longer visible in processes list of task manager) it will reset back to default state. If you need more help let me know?

Hint : Since operating system is controlling how program is executed which resources are accessed and how it is accessed. It will work with any program regardless of manufacturer of program or how they program it.
        Last edited by Hawk; 04-28-2013, 02:36 AM.
        If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

Mine did too before I started using Quick Sync, I guess the GPU does about half the work or a bit more.
          Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
            Mine did too before I started using Quick Sync, I guess the GPU does about half the work or a bit more.
            Do you overclock your cpu? Your frame-rate looks very good even with Quick Sync.
            Last edited by Hawk; 04-28-2013, 02:35 AM.
            If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

No but it was for the PSP, a small frame resolution. 480x272. Larger the frame resolution the slower it goes.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I think I lied to you Hawk, I run Intel Turbo Boost on my Ivy Bridge i7 and it overclocks itself as tasks and resources permit, I never multitask so it probably was. This is The Hobbit @ 720Xxxx and it's not a whole lot slower and I checked the CPU while encoding and it was overclocked quite a little bit?
                Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                  Hi, LarryM04

Try this method and see if it works for you. Start by encoding in a way you would normally do; however once program has started do not make any adjustment within program. Instead use task manager and navigate to processes tab and look for dvdfab core.exe or one within high cpu usage and right click and choose set affinity. Once you click it, new windows will open and ask which processors it should execute on or use. At this stage you can limit how many are allowed. However once program is closed (no longer visible in processes list of task manager) it will reset back to default state. If you need more help let me know?

Hint : Since operating system is controlling how program is executed which resources are accessed and how it is accessed. It will work with any program regardless of manufacturer of program or how they program it.
                  Combining:
                  90132: I was taking a Blu-Ray -> MKV

Signals: I hadn't seen that one, I've unchecked it now and will try again. Note tho, I kinda think setting the drop down to any number less than the chips max, should have automatically unchecked this. Also, this doesn't explain why setting the drop down to "2" only used 1 CPU.

Hawk: Thank you for this proceedure, two things tho: A) its rather a drag to have to do this each time I want to rip a disk and B) I shouldn't have to do this since the program has a drop down that is supposed to limit its use.

I've done rips before on previous versions of the program, I'm sure this drop down used to be effective. I feel its a bug that has crept in somewhat recently, and should be fixed.

Larry

Comment

Follow up: I unchecked the "Turbo CPU" and set the drop down to "4" CPUs. Now it seems to be using NO CPUs. I'm doing a BD50 Blu-Ray to a "Movie Only" BD25. Its been sitting at 0% of the video re-encode for 5 minutes now. All eight of the cores are loafing along with just a few percent usage, the whole set, all 8 combined are doing bouncing around 15-1% usage.

I think the CPU usage/turbo thing is really broken.

As I've said, I think this is a fairly recent breakage, I have lots of previous versions I could go back to, but attempts to install previous versions get hung up and stall. Is there anything short of a complete un-install that I can do to reload an older version?

thanks, Larry

ps. - Is this the correct place to report this sort of bug in the program?
                    Last edited by LarryM04; 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

This is the correct place for anything that concerns the Ripper module.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                      X