Splitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Splitting?

Hi - I am working with "Fringe Season 1, Disk 1" attempting to convert each episode to a separate MKV file. On other disks I've done, after inserting the disk, the Ripper shows a set of titles, and its a relatively simple matter of selecting the titles that are the individual episodes.

This disk tho, comes up with one title that is all four episodes, one right after the other (typical), but not any of the individual episodes. Not sure why, in my Blu-ray player, the episodes can be watched individually.

Played and fussed around a bit experimenting with the chapter range and found that if I select chapters 1-11 (in this case), that is episode 1. Great! ...but I had to do this by experimenting, converting the individual chapters until I found that 11 was the end.

Is there some simplier way to do this? The "Preview" tab always seemed to be the whole title, not the selected chapters.

Thanks, Larry

click on the chapter you want to view first the use the preview it should only play that chapter.

Comment

The chapters aren't listed individually. The list is something like:

FRINGE_SEASON_1_DISK_1 Title 1 00:12:11 Chapter 2 ...
      FRINGE_SEASON_1_DISK_1 Title 3 00:00:11 Chapter 2 ...
      FRINGE_SEASON_1_DISK_1 Title 4 03:11:34 chapters 1 - 33 ...
      FRINGE_SEASON_1_DISK_1 Title 5 ... chapter 2
      FRINGE_SEASON_1_DISK_1 Title 6 ... chapter 2
      etc

Title 4 has all the episodes, one right after the other. The other titles are misc others like BTS and such no episodes. So far I've discovered that chapter 1-11 are episode 1 and 12-18 are the second episode, but I did it by guessing the last episode, converting it, and seeing if its the closing credits.

Comment

This is caused by how the studio authored that title and there is very little that Fab can do about it.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Umm, well, maybe - but how is it that the plain old Bluray player CAN play the individual episodes? How can it know something DVDFab doesn't?

Comment

The menu system of the player does the navigation.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

My point is, the "dumb" Bluray player can identify the individual episodes by name, and play them one-at-a-time. If it can read the info to do this from the disk, so should DVDFab. Its the same disk, both are reading the same info.

Comment

Fab sees the menu as just another file, it doesn't use it to navigate the disc structure like a player when playing the disc.
                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

??? Then how does it pick out anything on the disk? It did identify the "all four episodes together" as one big title, it did identify the BTS title, it did identify the two episodes with commentary.

On other disks it identifies the individual episodes, just not this one.

And still -- how do I get the preview to show me just the chapters of interest? No matter what I tried, it always showed the whole title. That would have at least helped me identify the chapters of interest.

Comment

You won't get much sense out of Fab of a disk composed with such obvious crappy, non-standard authoring.

The difference between this disk and others in the set? Dunno!!! Ask the studio/author.

I have around 6000 TV episodes in my library now, so I think I am speaking from experience here.

1. These disks do occur and may be part of a set with all the rest authored properly.
                    2. They can occur in around 5% of all TV disks.
                    3. The only RELIABLE way I have ever been able to sort out titles/chapters/episodes on these disks is use a software media player such as VLC or Fab Media Player and navigate the disk & menu and note down the title/chapters and use this info to set up my rips.

Comment

But that is one of the problems, when I select the title, set the chapter from-to values, the preview always show the WHOLE title - it doesn't play just the selection - so I can't see which chapter is the end credits to know where the episode ends.

The only way I've been able to do it is to guess which chapter is the end, convert it, then play that MKV file and see if its the credits.

I'm getting better at guessing, but there must be a simplier way.

Comment

Preview in v8.0.8.5 reads out the chapter and plays only the chapter range you select, hopefully this is on the to-do list for v9 also.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have "DVDFab8085.exe" - is there a way to install a second stand-alone copy of DVDFab?

thanks, Larry

Comment

8085 installs in it's own folder you can also download most up to date versions of 8 & 9 they will also go into different folders so you can have all three on your computer at once they won't interfere with each other.

Comment

Good deal! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X